“Disappointing! Not up to standards of a 5 star hotel!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
San Mateo, California
“Disappointing! Not up to standards of a 5 star hotel!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

Service: very slow. Wait was at least an hour for meals at poolside, the Coba restaurant and room service plus there was always something missing in the room service order. This is surprising since so few people were present at the restaurants. Sometimes we even needed to go in search of someone to take our order at the poolside.

Rooms: beautiful but upon closer look, you could see grime behind the headboard and the hot tub out on the balcony did not look clean either so we did not use it.

Upon checkout: discovered billing was incorrect as there was an overcharge.

One thing is true, the place IS very quiet! Don't think we'll be back to the Viceroy.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank lorjo_11
BrentHall, Director of Sales at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
Thank you for your review. We're very disappointed that your experience with us was not up to your - or our - standards. Should you wish to address your experiences further, please contact me at brent.hall@viceroyanguilla.com. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

We stayed last summer for a short vacation to Anguilla. The property is absolutely breathtaking.

At the time we were there (July 2010) the hotel was still in a phase of construction and not everything was open - one entire building (the one with the 3rd pool, adjacent to the main beach) was not yet completed. It should be done by now.

Upon check-in we were given fruity drinks and were upgraded to a deluxe one-bedroom suite. Room is AMAZING! You can see a floor plan on the web site - note how the master bath is as large as the bedroom! The plunge pool on the balcony was lovely, and the entire room was relaxing and inviting. There was a small kitchen area, with a microwave and small fridge. They will leave some water and sodas for you, complimentary, though you may have to ask. I feel like the photos on their web site are quite representative of the property. Often you see professional photos that highlight things and the actual resort doesn't look the same in person. I actually have several similar photos of my own, so you won't be disappointed in what you see. It is stunning.

The location is on a little outcropping between Barnes and Meads Bays. So the hotel itself is kind of on a rock. When we were there, due to the construction, we had to take a van (provided by the hotel) to the Meads Bay beach, though I think that once construction is completed, you would be able to just walk off the property onto the beach.

Pools are beautiful and relaxing, with poolside drink service. Spa was great, but the A/C was broken the day we were there. It was uncomfortably HOT in the rooms during our massages. My husband's massage therapist had to stop to towel off a couple of times. That said, therapists were excellent and we got great massages.

Gym is nice - numerous cardio machines. Waters are free in the gym, too, if you need an extra bottle. Gym also offers some classes like yoga, though we were there off-season and before the entire property was open, so class offerings were minimal and we did not do any. Hotel had bicycles for use as well, and it's fun to just take a ride around the area (though be careful as there are no bike lanes on the streets).

Coba restaurant is a beautiful setting and great food, though pricey. But keep in mind that all of Anguilla is pretty expensive, and it will cost you about $50 US just for a round-trip cab ride to another restaurant. So factor that into the cost and the restaurant isn't as outrageous as it seems. (Though if you rent a car for about $50 US/day it's worth it - hotel will call someone to come so you can set it up).

Sunset Lounge is a beautiful place to hang out at night, but we had some problems with service there. Drinks were good, but we also ordered a creme brulee for dessert. When it hadn't arrived 20 minutes later, we asked the server (and we were the ONLY people in the lounge at this time - about 9:30 p.m.) who said it was on its way. About 45 minutes later, I told her to cancel the order, and she said it was ready and would bring it out. She did, and it was like soup. Not done at all. I sent it back.

Rooms have free wifi. It was mostly working - though as with any Caribbean location, it is not 100% reliable all the time, but it did work most of the time.

The only complaint was with service. This may be because we were there shortly after the opening and due to 'growing pains', so I hope this has changed. We checked in late and were given our drinks and even a tour by one of the sales reps who happened to be on the ferry over with us. Even then - after 5 p.m., our room was not ready. The room should have been ready.

There was another day we went out to the beach and came back at 3 p.m. and the room had not yet been cleaned. We had to call housekeeping to ask them to just do it during turn-down service. Unacceptable. Room should have been cleaned by then.

I also mentioned about the A/C being out in the spa. They should have offered a discount or an additional small service. They did not. As well, the service at the lounge when we wanted dessert was completely lacking.

Thing is, we got a great rate through a sales agent, so for what we paid, we really didn't make a fuss while there. But if we had paid the listed full price for the room I would really have been upset about the service. That is the only reason I gave it 4 stars (dots). As I said, I hope it was just growing pains and these kinks have been worked out, as the property and rooms really are beautiful. It's a comfortable and luxurious place to stay and if the service is improved, I would give it 5 stars (dots).

Room Tip: Not sure there is a bad room - but get one with aw
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 3RedDoxies
BrentHall, Director of Sales at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
Thank you for your review. In the year that has elapsed since your stay with us, quite a few changes have taken place. The inconsistent service you experienced, as well as other minor glitches, are, as you say, the growing pain associated with an opening hotel. Construction has been completed for quite some time now. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you can return to experience the excellent service and amenities of our property!
Leiderdorp, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

I was travelling to Anguilla solo, and stayed at the Viceroy. It is one of the best hotels I have stayed in, and I have stayed in plenty of five star hotels around the world. It's the best place to unwind. Staff is very helpful, service is fantastic. Decor is beautiful and the pictures on their website are representative for what it looks like so no need to upload mine cause they are similar. The bed is so comfortable I could stay in all day.
Breakfast and room service as well as yoga and other activities are extremely overpriced though.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Loesje17
BrentHall, Director of Sales at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! We agree that there's no better way to unwind than with a trip to Anguilla! Yoga classes in front of the ocean (with the sound of crashing waves) is the ultimate de-stresser!
Greensboro, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

My family and i just spent 6 nights at the Viceroy. We arrived on a Tuesday afternoon and had arranged for a private boat charter from St. Martin airport to the resort. The process went smoothly. I highly recommend the private boat as it is quick and convenient and lots of fun. Upon arrival in Anguilla we were greeted by a Viceroy Rep. who arranged a taxi for us to the resort. The check in was quick and we were taken to our 2 bedroom suite. The suite was amazing, nothing like i have ever seen before. It was very spacious, clean and nicely decorated. The 2 plunge pools were a huge hit with the kids. The resort is huge and gets a little getting used to, so be prepared to do lots of walking as its very spread out. There are 3 amazing swiming pools including an adults only pool. The kids pool was awesome and its located only steps from the beach. Lots of adults hang out at this pool as well due to its proximity to the bamboo lounge and the beach. The beach is one of the best I have ever seen. The resort has a full staff at all the pools and also the beach. We really enjoyed snorkling as there is lots to see and the water is very clear. We also hired a private boat that took us to Shoals Bay, the best beach on the island and possibly the entire Carribean, Prickly pear and to Sandy island. I recommend Prickly Pear, an island which is about 20 mins by boat, great places to snorkel, its like your own private island. Stay away from Sandy island, its a tourist trap!!. nothing here execept for a dump of a restaraunt which serves overpriced food. $250 for a lousy lunch for a family of 4. Beware Anguilla is very expensive, tourists are gouged and taken advantage off. Avergage meal at a decent restaraunt runs about $30-$50 per person, not including drinks. Taxi's are super expensive, we took a taxi to a restaraunt which was only 1 mile from the hotel and it cost $48. The food at the hotel is average but very expensive as well. I do recommend Blanchards for dinner, great food and its located on the beach, Mr. Blanchard greeted us personally and even took the kids to the kitchen for a tour where they met Mrs. Blanchard who is the chef of the restaraunt. Word of caution, if you arrived via St. Martin please confirm your return reservation to make sure its still in place. We had the hotel arrange a private boat charter to return to St Martin on a boat called Moonstruck, upon are arrival at the dock no one from Moonstruck was to be found. We finally learned that the boat was burned the night before and no one bothered to inform us so we could make alternate plans. We had to do some last second scrambling at the dock, luckily we were able to get another boat to take us to St. Martin and did make our flight in time. If this boat was not avalible we would have missed our flight. All in all we had a great time and will return to the Viceroy.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your very comprehensive review. We're glad that you enjoyed your two-bedroom suite (it's perfect for families!). We're happy that your kids enjoyed the plunge pools! They're great fun and provide amazing views of Anguilla's clear waters! We're sorry you experienced an inconvenience with your boat charter upon departure, but are happy that it was but a small blemish on an otherwise great family vacation!
New York, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed in a king room at The Viceroy June 11-18. I had heard a lot about Anguilla and The Viceroy and expected to be blown away. Well, my expectations were met.. and then some!! The Viceroy is by far the nicest hotel we've personally stayed at. We usually stay at 4 star resorts in the Caribbean (Wyndham, Radisson, Marriott-type places) and decided to take it up a notch for our trip (a great deal for The Viceroy on hotels.com also enticed us).

As soon as we arrived, we were greeted by eager bellmans to assist us. While we were checking in, one bellman came by with cold sodas for us (tray and all), and another came with cool wash cloths to cool off. Our room was great. The grounds were absolutely impeccable. Very modern and well-maintained. The hotel sits on two beaches -- Meads Bay and Barnes Bay. Never made it to the Barnes Bay side.. we spent a lot of our time on the Meads Bay beach. The Viceroy's Bamboo restaurant is right next to the Meads Bay beach (as is the children's pool), so servers from the restaurant come and serve you anything you'd like from the menu. There are three pools at The Viceroy (family pool, children's pool and adult-only infinity pool).. The Sunset Lounge is located at the adult infinity pool, and we spent plenty of time there as well.

There are multiple eateries at the hotel .. We went to a few of them. Cabo serves buffet breakfast and a la carte dinner (ate dinner there twice and breakfast almost every day), Bamboo serves lunch and drinks, primarly (but dinner on some days), and Sunset Lounge serves appetizers-- including amazing sliders (they have regular sliders, jerk chicken, and some sort of fish) and sushi. We did not eat at Aleta, which is a dinner-only restaurant that is open a few days out of the week. There's another eatery on the Barnes Bay beach that we did not visit. Except for one dinner at Cabo (my pasta arrabiata was way too spicy, though I admit I'd been warned by the server), every meal and drink consumed at The Viceroy was wonderful and delicious.

However, The Viceroy is incredibly expensive, which says a lot -- I live and work in New York City, have traveled all over Western Europe (including spending a semsester abroad in Paris), and have been to the Caribbean several times, and The Viceroy/Anguilla is expensive!! At first I thought we would just order beer and wine to save money -- but after a while I thought forget it, I'm on vacation. I must say that the custom mixed drinks at Bamboo and The Sunset Lounge are some of the best I have ever had (again -- I live in NYC), so they are worth it!

We went to the gym several times when we were there.. The gym was great -- plenty of machines with TVs built in. On one day the A/C was broken but was fixed quickly. We did not take any of the gym's offered classes -- spin, yoga, tennis lessons, and a 2-hour bike ride led by a gym instructor are offered -- but each class costs $20. We did not make it to the spa -- expensive, even compared to NYC!

One thing The Viceroy could improve is service. Though the vast majority of the employees were extremely professional and courteous (including Tracey and Sweenda at the Sunset Lounge, Tamara and Speedy at Bamboo, the gentlemen who work at the gym, the servers at Cabo, and all the bellmen), I was disappointed with the concierge. My husband and I asked the concierge to book us a trip to Prickly Pear and to request that housekeeping provide us with another bottle of Off Spray (mosquito repellant.. a bottle is provided upon arrival). The concierge told us, in person, that she would look into the trip and send the off spray, but never did either. We ended up getting a bottle of Off Spray from an employee at the Sunset Lounge (who heard us complaining about our mosquito bites), and planned another trip ourselves. We later asked the concierge to book restaurant reservations and an island toor for us, which they did.

Also, one of the gentlemen at the Sea Center made what I believed to be a rude remark to my husband.. We were picking up snorkeling gear for my husband at the Sea Center at Barnes Bay Beach. My husband is European and has an accent. The gentleman said something to my husband, which neither of us understood (because of his Anguillan accent). My husband asked him to repeat it twice, and the gentleman asked, "do you speak English?", which was a little rude, considering we had been there speaking in English asking for the equipment. I do not believe the gentleman thought he was being rude, but it was a tad inappropriate. We laughed it off, but someone else could have been really offended.

We visited two other hotels -- Cuisin Art and Cap Juluca.. though they are nice, they don't compare to The Viceroy. Grounds and rooms are just wonderful. All in all, The Viceroy is the best in Anguilla. Despite the little mishaps above, our experience at The Viceroy was wonderful and we can't wait to go back (probably during the off-season again, because it's not crowded and room rates are cheaper).

Room Tip: Browse a few different sites, because rates differ
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

At this hotel during our recent stay, I was given a nice room with a view of the ocean and the serene beach. The room was large enough, clean and comfortable, with good air conditioning. The staffs were helpful and friendly. The service is good. The entertainment provided here at nights are superb. A greatly admirable feature is that the entire premises of the resort are spotlessly clean. The food was great. I had lots of fun kayaking, snorkeling, swimming, sun bathing, etc at this place. Overall, I spent an amazingly enjoyable time here and will definitely come back for some more.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Papolo_38
Thanks so much for your review! We're glad you enjoyed your spacious suite. There's nothing better than sweeping ocean views! We hope you return soon!
Seogwipo, South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

The villa is a nice property. It looks gorgeous and inviting. One look at it, you feel like staying in it. When I and my friend reached the villa, we were shown around that beautiful place. The rooms were gorgeous, the grounds well maintained, the garden beautiful, and the backside of the property provided a spectacular view of the ocean. The scenic beauty of the entire place was awesome. The staffs were friendly and helpful. Every day they refilled groceries and the food stuff in the fridge. The comfortable and clean beds had adequate bedding material. We loved staying at this place and would come back again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Paris_Kouyu
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay in our fantastic villas! From the stunning view to the great service, it's truly a one-of-a-kind experience!
Also consider these accommodations in or near West End Village
Cap Juluca
Cap Juluca
#5 of 13 in West End Village
CuisinArt Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla? Share your experiences!