1,593 results
All reviewsplunge poolhalf shellsunset loungesushibarnes baycoba restaurantaleta poolbedroom residencebike tourkelly wearstlerkids clubsea centerbamboo grillmeads bayrock climbingfamily poolour honeymoon
Reviewed June 23, 2011

My family and i just spent 6 nights at the Viceroy. We arrived on a Tuesday afternoon and had arranged for a private boat charter from St. Martin airport to the resort. The process went smoothly. I highly recommend the private boat as it is quick and convenient and lots of fun. Upon arrival in Anguilla we were greeted by a Viceroy Rep. who arranged a taxi for us to the resort. The check in was quick and we were taken to our 2 bedroom suite. The suite was amazing, nothing like i have ever seen before. It was very spacious, clean and nicely decorated. The 2 plunge pools were a huge hit with the kids. The resort is huge and gets a little getting used to, so be prepared to do lots of walking as its very spread out. There are 3 amazing swiming pools including an adults only pool. The kids pool was awesome and its located only steps from the beach. Lots of adults hang out at this pool as well due to its proximity to the bamboo lounge and the beach. The beach is one of the best I have ever seen. The resort has a full staff at all the pools and also the beach. We really enjoyed snorkling as there is lots to see and the water is very clear. We also hired a private boat that took us to Shoals Bay, the best beach on the island and possibly the entire Carribean, Prickly pear and to Sandy island. I recommend Prickly Pear, an island which is about 20 mins by boat, great places to snorkel, its like your own private island. Stay away from Sandy island, its a tourist trap!!. nothing here execept for a dump of a restaraunt which serves overpriced food. $250 for a lousy lunch for a family of 4. Beware Anguilla is very expensive, tourists are gouged and taken advantage off. Avergage meal at a decent restaraunt runs about $30-$50 per person, not including drinks. Taxi's are super expensive, we took a taxi to a restaraunt which was only 1 mile from the hotel and it cost $48. The food at the hotel is average but very expensive as well. I do recommend Blanchards for dinner, great food and its located on the beach, Mr. Blanchard greeted us personally and even took the kids to the kitchen for a tour where they met Mrs. Blanchard who is the chef of the restaraunt. Word of caution, if you arrived via St. Martin please confirm your return reservation to make sure its still in place. We had the hotel arrange a private boat charter to return to St Martin on a boat called Moonstruck, upon are arrival at the dock no one from Moonstruck was to be found. We finally learned that the boat was burned the night before and no one bothered to inform us so we could make alternate plans. We had to do some last second scrambling at the dock, luckily we were able to get another boat to take us to St. Martin and did make our flight in time. If this boat was not avalible we would have missed our flight. All in all we had a great time and will return to the Viceroy.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
BrentHall, Director of Sales at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2011

Thank you for your very comprehensive review. We're glad that you enjoyed your two-bedroom suite (it's perfect for families!). We're happy that your kids enjoyed the plunge pools! They're great fun and provide amazing views of Anguilla's clear waters! We're sorry you experienced an inconvenience with your boat charter upon departure, but are happy that it was but a small blemish on an otherwise great family vacation!

Reviewed June 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed in a king room at The Viceroy June 11-18. I had heard a lot about Anguilla and The Viceroy and expected to be blown away. Well, my expectations were met.. and then some!! The Viceroy is by far the nicest hotel we've personally stayed at. We usually stay at 4 star resorts in the Caribbean (Wyndham, Radisson, Marriott-type places) and decided to take it up a notch for our trip (a great deal for The Viceroy on hotels.com also enticed us).

As soon as we arrived, we were greeted by eager bellmans to assist us. While we were checking in, one bellman came by with cold sodas for us (tray and all), and another came with cool wash cloths to cool off. Our room was great. The grounds were absolutely impeccable. Very modern and well-maintained. The hotel sits on two beaches -- Meads Bay and Barnes Bay. Never made it to the Barnes Bay side.. we spent a lot of our time on the Meads Bay beach. The Viceroy's Bamboo restaurant is right next to the Meads Bay beach (as is the children's pool), so servers from the restaurant come and serve you anything you'd like from the menu. There are three pools at The Viceroy (family pool, children's pool and adult-only infinity pool).. The Sunset Lounge is located at the adult infinity pool, and we spent plenty of time there as well.

There are multiple eateries at the hotel .. We went to a few of them. Cabo serves buffet breakfast and a la carte dinner (ate dinner there twice and breakfast almost every day), Bamboo serves lunch and drinks, primarly (but dinner on some days), and Sunset Lounge serves appetizers-- including amazing sliders (they have regular sliders, jerk chicken, and some sort of fish) and sushi. We did not eat at Aleta, which is a dinner-only restaurant that is open a few days out of the week. There's another eatery on the Barnes Bay beach that we did not visit. Except for one dinner at Cabo (my pasta arrabiata was way too spicy, though I admit I'd been warned by the server), every meal and drink consumed at The Viceroy was wonderful and delicious.

However, The Viceroy is incredibly expensive, which says a lot -- I live and work in New York City, have traveled all over Western Europe (including spending a semsester abroad in Paris), and have been to the Caribbean several times, and The Viceroy/Anguilla is expensive!! At first I thought we would just order beer and wine to save money -- but after a while I thought forget it, I'm on vacation. I must say that the custom mixed drinks at Bamboo and The Sunset Lounge are some of the best I have ever had (again -- I live in NYC), so they are worth it!

We went to the gym several times when we were there.. The gym was great -- plenty of machines with TVs built in. On one day the A/C was broken but was fixed quickly. We did not take any of the gym's offered classes -- spin, yoga, tennis lessons, and a 2-hour bike ride led by a gym instructor are offered -- but each class costs $20. We did not make it to the spa -- expensive, even compared to NYC!

One thing The Viceroy could improve is service. Though the vast majority of the employees were extremely professional and courteous (including Tracey and Sweenda at the Sunset Lounge, Tamara and Speedy at Bamboo, the gentlemen who work at the gym, the servers at Cabo, and all the bellmen), I was disappointed with the concierge. My husband and I asked the concierge to book us a trip to Prickly Pear and to request that housekeeping provide us with another bottle of Off Spray (mosquito repellant.. a bottle is provided upon arrival). The concierge told us, in person, that she would look into the trip and send the off spray, but never did either. We ended up getting a bottle of Off Spray from an employee at the Sunset Lounge (who heard us complaining about our mosquito bites), and planned another trip ourselves. We later asked the concierge to book restaurant reservations and an island toor for us, which they did.

Also, one of the gentlemen at the Sea Center made what I believed to be a rude remark to my husband.. We were picking up snorkeling gear for my husband at the Sea Center at Barnes Bay Beach. My husband is European and has an accent. The gentleman said something to my husband, which neither of us understood (because of his Anguillan accent). My husband asked him to repeat it twice, and the gentleman asked, "do you speak English?", which was a little rude, considering we had been there speaking in English asking for the equipment. I do not believe the gentleman thought he was being rude, but it was a tad inappropriate. We laughed it off, but someone else could have been really offended.

We visited two other hotels -- Cuisin Art and Cap Juluca.. though they are nice, they don't compare to The Viceroy. Grounds and rooms are just wonderful. All in all, The Viceroy is the best in Anguilla. Despite the little mishaps above, our experience at The Viceroy was wonderful and we can't wait to go back (probably during the off-season again, because it's not crowded and room rates are cheaper).

Room Tip: Browse a few different sites, because rates differ
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2011

At this hotel during our recent stay, I was given a nice room with a view of the ocean and the serene beach. The room was large enough, clean and comfortable, with good air conditioning. The staffs were helpful and friendly. The service is good. The entertainment provided here at nights are superb. A greatly admirable feature is that the entire premises of the resort are spotlessly clean. The food was great. I had lots of fun kayaking, snorkeling, swimming, sun bathing, etc at this place. Overall, I spent an amazingly enjoyable time here and will definitely come back for some more.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Papolo_38

Thanks so much for your review! We're glad you enjoyed your spacious suite. There's nothing better than sweeping ocean views! We hope you return soon!

Reviewed June 22, 2011

The villa is a nice property. It looks gorgeous and inviting. One look at it, you feel like staying in it. When I and my friend reached the villa, we were shown around that beautiful place. The rooms were gorgeous, the grounds well maintained, the garden beautiful, and the backside of the property provided a spectacular view of the ocean. The scenic beauty of the entire place was awesome. The staffs were friendly and helpful. Every day they refilled groceries and the food stuff in the fridge. The comfortable and clean beds had adequate bedding material. We loved staying at this place and would come back again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paris_Kouyu

We're so glad you enjoyed your stay in our fantastic villas! From the stunning view to the great service, it's truly a one-of-a-kind experience!

Reviewed June 22, 2011

The design and architecture of this hotel stand out amongst its peer group of high end hotels in the st maarten / anguilla islands. The service is top tier - staff are very friendly (without being intrusive), attentive, discrete, helpful and..everywhere. You can't toss a coconut without hitting someone on his way over to offer you a menu or a drink. The hotel offers dramatic views of the sea and the sunset from multiple vantage points - eg the infinity pool that begins from the lounge area and seemingly extends to the horizon, a pair of chairs at the end of a long colonnaded corridor that juts out towards the sea, the restaurants, the rooms. We took only a couple of trips off campus to shoal bay east - one of the top ten beaches in the world - and to the st maarten shops but were happy to enjoy the hotel's pools and beaches the rest of the time. Highly recommended if you're willing to splurge.

• Stayed: June 2011

Kelly Wearstler did an amazing job designing the Viceroy Anguilla! It's truly a Caribbean gem! We're thrilled that you were able to experience the outstanding service we pride ourselves on and hope we can host you again soon!