“Great for a family vacation”

Turtle's Nest Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Southeast
“Great for a family vacation”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We just returned from 8 days at the Turtles Nest. You cannot beat the value on Anguilla -- particularly with a family of 4. We stayed in 3AE(?) -- the second building next to the pool, third floor, East side. The unit has been updated in the last few years and has tasteful, new furniture. The A/C worked well in all rooms, the fridge kept our drinks cold, and the washer/dryer was extremely handy. The view from our unit was very good.

There are a few negatives, but those would not keep us from renting again. The 2 bedroom unit, I assume, can be a 3-bedroom unit, rented separately as a 2 bedroom and a 1 bedroom studio. There is a door between the Master bedroom and the 1 bedroom studio in the back, and the walls are thin. You can hear your neighbors pretty clearly.

The sun streams through the thin curtains on the East-facing windows in the morning, making it tough to sleep in. They do not supply shampoo. In March, you cannot see the sun set, which is blocked by Building 1. The pool area could use some updating, but my boys enjoyed themselves.

The positives far outweigh the negatives. Even in high season, this complex was quiet. We had no issues getting chairs or umbrellas. In my opinion, Meads Bay is the best beach on the island, and Turtles Nest is in the middle of it. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Fly_FisherSoutheast

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Virginia
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Turtle's Nest was a wonderful lodging choice for our family. The 1BR beachfront suite was spacious and well-appointed, and we enjoyed the full kitchen so we could self-cater sometimes. The view was excellent--though I would recommend the Phase 1 building if you want an even better view. We thought Meads Bay was very pretty, though it was extremely windy (at least in front of Turtles Nest). I think we were there during some sort of weather disturbance, but even as the weather improved, it was still windier than the other beaches we visited (Cove Bay, Shoal Bay East, etc.). With that said, the beachfront has plenty of room to spread out and always a lounger available. It is definitely more appealing (in my eyes) than the beachfront by Carimar and that end of the bay. The staff at TN is wonderful, though keep in mind the office is closed Saturday afternoon and Sunday. It is more appropriate for those who need less hand holding/amenities, as it is not a full-service resort (no restaurant/bar/etc). As the name implies, they have turtles in their courtyard which is nice for the little ones who can pet them. We had great meals at Veya and Jacala, and we enjoyed takeout from B&D BBQ (open only for a few days each week) and E's Oven. We thought Blanchard's Beach Shack was underwhelming. All in all, we would definitely recommend TN.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Vahoo
Maggie C, Public Relations Manager at Turtle's Nest Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you so much for the glowing review. We miss our little blonde "Turtlette", she was such a joy. One small correction, we do have a small staff available on Saturday and Sunday. Since they are on the property, sometimes the office door may be lock. We will add a sign on the office door to let guest know when we will be returning to the office. Remember as a repeat guest, you will receive a 10% Discount off your entire stay. We are looking forward to your next visit at 'The Nest"!
Toronto
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just finished a beautiful week at Turtles Nest. Since we're used to luxury accommodations similar to the Viceroy, we were a little nervous about our impressions of Turtles Nest.

As it turned out, we had nothing to worry about. We couldn't have been more happy with how everything turned out. Our top floor room in Phase 1 more than satisfied our needs. It looked as if it had been recently updated with a nice stylish beachy decor. It was very spacious, clean and functional. The views are breathtaking from the many walls of windows. The location is perfect. And the service is spectacular!!!

Something that Turtles Nest has that the Viceroy does not is a much quieter laid back atmosphere, which we love.

We're already talking about possibly rebooking for next year. Turtles Neat is one of the best values we've ever found. Don't hesitate to try it out. The beach front rooms are especially special.

• Stayed December 2013
6 Thank Vickie
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Since Kristen 1206 was our neighbor during our stay, I should probably get my review done timely too... Great location. Can't stress how nice it was to have a one minute walk down the stairs to an awesome beach. Chairs, umbrellas, towels all there for your use. The pool however, was not heated...and a bit too chilly for me. I found the ocean much more attractive (and more fun!) so spent hours in there each day. Had some rain but overall the weather was pretty warm and sunny. The ocean was also warm and comfortable for swimming. We did have some waves most days (some may find that rough) but I found them a lot of fun...except for the occasional wipe out...which happened to a few of us unexpecting folks that had our backs to the waves.

We were in the two bedroom unit that was attached to Kristen's studio. Very spacious, had 2 1/2 baths, and amazing views. The unit was in good shape though I agree that the outside of the buildings could use a bit of maintenance. The A/C worked well (one unit got repaired during our stay). The kitchen had basic needs addressed (no dishwasher) and we did cook in some meals and prepared lunches to take to the beach (found a styrofoam cooler under the sink). Liked having a washer and dryer in the unit. Good restaurants within walking distance. Tried Blanchard's Beach Shack, Ocean Aire, and Straw Hat. Even toured the Viceroy nearby...but not my cup of tea. Too much pomp and circumstance for me...I just came here to just relax by the beach. The staff at Turtle's Nest was wonderful. Felt like we made some good friends here during our stay. Everyone was really nice and always willing to address any request.

This is not a posh condo experience. It is more like an apartment lifestyle. If you want someone to wait on you hand and foot...head to Viceroy. If you want to relax and be more independent, this is the place for you. I found it to suit our needs perfectly. There is a vacant lot next door...I pray it never gets developed...because right now the location is great and almost appears to be a private beach (if you look in the direction away from Frangipani). Only suggestions for improvement would be to have more substantial front doors and locks (I know it isn't really an issue...just would make me feel better) and have in room safes for passports and stuff. Oh and the hot water heaters could be a little bigger...hot showers did need to be spaced out.

We did rent a car (Andy's Car Rental) and visited two beaches, but really only used it to go grocery shopping (Best Buy) or drive to restaurants at night (Flavours, Veya, and E's Kitchen). Rendevous Bay and Shoal Bay East were really beautiful to see and walk along. I have to say that night driving was not my favorite thing. Really stressed about not hitting stray dogs and cats at night (or the local who was walking along the edge of the road). You really had to be careful.

Took GB Express both ways for a shuttle from St Maarten...really nice service...but good gosh...we had rough seas both ways. I really didn't enjoy that part...reaffirmed my faith in God (smile) since I prayed the whole way on the return trip. Makes me think I will look into Anguilla Air or just suck it up and take that larger ferry next time.

So a big thank you to the Turtle's Nest staff for making our stay a pleasant experience.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank suelivesinva
Centreville, Maryland
Reviewed December 17, 2013

If you want to stay ON one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and have a great view, all for a decent price, look no further. The location of Turtle's Nest, right in the center of Meads Bay cannot be beat. You can walk to many fabulous restaurants and a beach bar/shack. The resort has one pool per building and daily maid service. They also have nice beach lounge chairs and umbrellas. You can even get drinks/lunch served to your chair from the restaurant next door. TN has no restaurant on site but with so many close by, it isn't an issue.

Rooms themselves are very large and well equipped. Each unit is owned separately so furnishings are different in each. We stayed in a studio, which was very roomy, and we toured a 2 bedroom which was huge. All rooms have a patio or balcony and all have ocean views.

Only negatives were that:

1) the hot water heaters (at least in the studio) are tiny. Holds only enough hot water for one short shower.

2) The exterior of the buildings, especially Phase 1, are in need of some cosmetic upkeep. Nothing major but it is noticeable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kristen1206
Vancouver
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I hesitate to even review Turtle's Nest in fear that more people will go. We stayed for 10 days after being completely amazed walking into our room (4AE) for the first time at sunset. What an amazing room. You walk around the corner to the most beautiful view ever. At first when we booked I was a little apprehensive about not having a roof on our balcony. I thought, what do we do if it rains? I was so thankful we had sun on our balcony the entire afternoon. And in the rain? We were able to sit right in the living room area with the doors opened up. This one bedroom was roomy, private and kept very clean our entire stay.

We loved the turtles and always stopped by to say hello. We also really appreciated the staff at Turtle's Nest. Always very friendly and helpful and ready to do whatever needed to be done to make their guests stay even better. Scooby even got us some coconuts to drink (which we love).

We rented a car for 3 of our 10 days and we were glad we did. We had one full day of rain and were able to just jump in the car and explore rather than feeling like we lost a day. In addition, each beach seems so different in Anguilla so exploring them is a must. Don't forget to take the trip out to Sandy Island, it's and experience you won't forget and one that Betania at the front desk was happy to help us book.

Turtles Nest is about a 3 minute walk to a large grocery store where you can get everything you need. Just be aware, they push back on taking your credit card when they can. I assume there is a fee to them if the transaction is under a certain dollar amount so they try to avoid it in those situations. If that's the case, I would rather they put a limit on using your credit card rather than say it's down when it's not. But really easy access and safe walking from Turtle's Nest.

Meads Bay was rough while we were there. Almost too rough to go in some days but still very beautiful. And there are lots of dining options nearby. We chose Blanchard's Beach Shack almost everyday for lunch and then had a light dinner in. Also, Straw Hat Restaurant will deliver food or drink to you on the beach from their location just one resort away. Nothing better than having a bucket of beer on Meads. Bay without having to move a muscle.

The worst thing about the room we had at the Turtle's Nest was that our room was on the 4th floor. It's a bit of a climb once you've clicked into vacation mode but just take your time (what are you rushing for anyway) and when you get to that view....it will all be worth it.

Oh I forgot to mention, we took Anguilla Air Service 8 minute flight to Anguilla from St. Martin which worked out well. There was a taxi waiting at the airport to take us to our resort and he even stopped at the Best Buy Supermarket for us on the way to the resort. When we left Anguilla, we took the ferry back to. Marigot in St. Martin. Both ended up being good simple modes of transportation. Going by plane there was a small layover at SXM and by ferry it was a bit of a rough ride that day but a pretty smooth process. I think it comes down to budget and personal preference.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank grayken0725
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We loved our stay at Turtle's Nest and cannot wait to go back. Everything was clean and so much room. Loved being on Mead's Bay and just loved the view! Staff is beyond wonderful so accommodating. Just cannot wait to be back!

Gave a lower point for sleep quality because Our bed was very noisy! Was kinda funny.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Frangipani Beach Resort
Frangipani Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in West End Village
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Four Seasons Resort and Residenc...
#4 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Turtle's Nest Beach Resort? Share your experiences!