“Variable”
Review of Siam Food Gallery

Siam Food Gallery
Reserve with OpenTable
Siam Food Gallery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 60 Restaurants in Esher
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Surrey
“Variable”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I concur with both sets of reviewers here. I have visited this restaurant a few times as I live in the area. For lunch, they do a good value menu and I have often found the food at lunch time very tasty and authentic. For dinner and takeway though - it is a totally different matter.

Service ranges from very good to average, as does the food. We have had very tasty starters, followed by a "different" tasting green curry (as previous reviewed mentioned) - not bad but not great either.

It has flashes of brilliance but a lacklustre performance at times....

• Visited September 2012

• Thai first
Sydney, Australia
“Real Thai food”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We just got home after a lovely dinner at the Siam Food gallery. We arrived at 7pm for dinner for two and we've noticed in the UK, people go out for dinner much later than in Australia, so the place was pretty empty. There were a few wait staff standing around and so we felt a little smothered by them for about the first hour. The food came out very fast and we had finished two courses by 8pm! The highlight of the meal was the crispy sea bass. Everything we ate was delicious and authentic.....I know it was authentic as we are from Australia where Thai food is just about on every corner and I also lived in Thailand so I know my Thai food well. The only thing I would say is that the green chicken curry tasted "different".....not bad but not as aromatic or something. Anyway as the place filled up, the service dropped off and in the end we had to walk to the register to pay as they didn't get us the bill after we asked. That's the only reason they would lose a point. It was a lovely night out, good value and delicious food. The uk could do with far more good Asian restaurants like this one!

1 Thank liketotravel081
Islington, London
“Really tasty food”
Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

Really great curries and generous portions. Lots of vegetarian options including lovely fresh vegetables and tofu with garlic, chilli and holy thai basil. The staff were very pleasant but the kitchen was a little slow (they were perhaps busier than they'd expected on a bank holiday Saturday night). We will definitely go back and the view across the street of the bar at Layla certainly provided an insight into Esher life.

1 Thank pbskibc
“A Real Taste of Thailand”
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

I have visited this restaurant on a number of occasions over the last five years and have been delighted by both the food and the service. Very occasionally and on busy nights the staff have struggled a little but I am amazed to read negative reviews. An absolute guaranteed decent meal in my experience, and I'm horrified to hear of bad experiences. Still worth a go, particularly the incredibly fragranced starters!

1 Thank Tim G
London, United Kingdom
“Has anyone heard of Service?”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Last night myself and my girlfriend went out for dinner... it was 'date night'! We live in central London, but decided to drive out to Esher as we heard it was a really nice area. After taking ages to park the car, we walked around until chancing upon Siam Food Gallery. The menu looked okay and the place was fairly busy so we assumed it would be a safe bet. We ordered within 5 minutes of sitting down and all was going pretty well. Over half an hour went by and finally our starters arrived. They were pretty good, nothing that special but we weren't disappointed.

I then noticed that the table behind us who had been there before since we arrived, still hadn't been served and they were starting to complain. Thinking nothing of it we carried on talking and asked for some water. About 20 minutes later some hot plates arrived, not the water we had asked for but we were relived that the food was coming, by this time we had been there over an hour. 30 minutes later, still no food, no water and two now very cold plates. I tried to get the attention of the waiter (who looked lost at the best of times) and in the end resorted to walking into the kitchen to ask what the hell was going on. 5 minutes later 2 glasses of water arrived along with two more hot plates and a very half-hearted apology.

20 minutes later now with another two cold plates in front of us, some food arrived, but it wasn't our food. The waiter (who didn't speak once the whole time we were there) looked bemused and took the plates back to the kitchen. Another 10 minutes later (it was now 10.15pm and we'd been there for well over two hours) the food arrived. It was fairly good (to be honest we were expecting the worst at this point) however we'd both totally lost our appetites. We still had an hours drive home and had to be up early for work the next day, not exactly the evening we'd hoped for. So we ate a little to be polite and quickly requested the bill and take away boxes. There was no real apology, not a sincere one anyway and the waiter didn't even look at us or speak when he swiped our card. The waiter, head waiter and manager looked like they couldn't care less the whole time we were there, even though we'd been in their restaurant for over two hours and had only eaten a starter. We walked out very disappointed and will NEVER go back. Utterly abysmal!

In contrast there are a few Thai restaurants in London that we frequent pretty much on a monthly basis. Addi's Thai in Earls Court and Kaosarn in Brixton, which are both cheaper, far more authentic and the service is exceptional every time!

Esher wake up!!!