“In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cambridge Executive Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hay River
Cambridge Executive Suites
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hay River
Unity, Canada
“In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

It is slim picking in Hay River. And I was told the Cambridge Suites are the best place in town. The prices are very high for what you get. But in context, it's a decent value in Hay River.

Check-in can be a pain in butt if you are not there before 6:00pm. I was a little taken aback with my room on the basement level. It smelled pretty funky, but not so bad that I didn't acclimatize within 5 minutes. The suite was large, with lots of storage room. A full kitchen, if you feel like cooking. Mind you, I threw that idea out the window, after experienced the cost of groceries. Strangely restaurant eating is about the same cost. There was satellite TV, but a limited subscription of channels. WiFi was excellent. My room has a Temprapedic bed, so it was a nice little bonus.

While I heard the main building is much more decent, I was in the capital building. If this establishment was in another city, I would rate it much lower.

Room Tip: Get a room in the main building.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank CBSandiego

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

An ok place, large apartment style accommodations, though very rough on the edges, dishwasher doesn't work, my door barely closed .... When locked. However every room is quite different so some are better than other, locale is good, and great if you like to cook at home when on long road trips, overall not bad... Given where you are....

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Ako81
Morrisburg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

The suite I used during my stay was a large one-bedroom apartment. The decor was bright, cheery and it was nicely furnished. Extremely large rooms and room for many to stay comfortably. Some of the decor is a bit dated - the bathroom, for example, however the rest is fine. Very fast wireless internet! Front desk staff lady was pleasant and helpful. I'd stay here again for sure.
It would have been nice to have a restaurant on site but the location in the heart of town doesn't require it. On a negative note the bedding was a bit scratchy - not sure if it's the linens themselves or the washing method. (Clean though.)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank dihnontourist
Edmonton, Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

If you are looking for a little extra space and a homey atmosphere then stay here. This is really a apartment building that they will rent out as a hotel. I have stayed here a couple times. They have most of the kitchen essentials so if you like to cook for your self this is great. Of course there are many reasturants within walking distance too.
They are not spotless. This time I noticed that there was a tea bag in the tea pot. When I opened it, there was tons of mold in it and it smelled horrible. I just put it in the sink. When I returned a few hours later, houskeeping had cleaned it. So they do care, but they miss a few things...
I have had no invoicing problems as mentioned in a previous review.

Room Tip: you want a river view
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

I have stayed at another facility in Hay River and believe me, there is no comparison.... I found the Cambridge Executive Suite to be very clean, quiet, central, spacious and I found the staff to be pleasant and helpful.

The Cambridge Executive Suites(hotel) is the best place to stay in Hay River. It is a very popular place to stay, so book well in advance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the River. The Cambridge Executive Suites is popular with travelers, so book...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Tinker407
Encinitas, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

I got to Hay River mid August 2011 and checked out a family suite for friends and me - my friends did not make it that day as they were delayed in their private airplanes due to bad weather, but we returned a week later and I asked to get the same suite that I had looked at before. I was told the same one was not available but the one available would have the exact same amenities, beds, and riverview. When we got to the suite it had one queen size room and one room with 2 twin beds. The suite was also smaller, the heater did not work, and it was not as updated as the previous one. We asked to get it changed to a suite with 2 room with queen beds (for 2 couples). They confirmed they had another suite available that fit our requirements, with all other terms staying the same as was negotiated before, including pricing. It turned out the suite did have 2 bedrooms with queen size beds, but the view was to the opposite side parking lot - oh well, we accepted it. The bellboy handed us one key and asked if we needed a 2nd key - we declined it as we would stay with the group, and we never received the 2nd key.
Upon check-out, they charged us more than what was agreed. I also received an email after check-out from the reservation office that we would have to pay $50 as a replacement fee for a lost key, as we did not turn in the 2nd key which was supposedly given to us. We explained repeatedly that we declined the 2nd key when rooms were switched, but they did not believe us. They are now still sending me the $50 invoice.
The place is administered by the same company that handles bookings for the Harbor House B&B, where I stayed for one night in mid August (when the rest of my group did not make it to Hay River). To my surprise I noticed a few days after the stay that my credit card was charged for 2 additional nights without consulting me first or getting my approval to charge my card. They did reverse the charge quickly after I complained and admitted they made a mistake but they should not charge a credit card without first checking with and obtaining approval of the card holder. I was also hit with foreign exchange fees for the transaction that were not reimbursed.
All in all, the stay at Cambridge was a pretty bad experience and I would definitly not recommend staying there unless they make changes to their staff. The facilities are acceptable, especially the top floor suite with riverview, which we never stayed at, was very nice.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends