“Stay here because of the restaurant”

Hotel Osteria della Pista
Belmont, California
“Stay here because of the restaurant”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

The Osteria della Pista has good basic rooms at very fair prices, but we didn't choose this hotel for the rooms. The superlative restaurant downstairs is the reason for staying here. We went to a lot of great restaurants in New York City, London and across northern Italy on this trip and this one may have been the best. But this review is supposed to be about the hotel, for which we can say that the rooms are modern, with nice walk-in showers and good dark-out drapes. The air conditioning worked well in the room and common areas. The hotel staff is openly friendly and always available, and they helped us with a confusing self-service laundromat across the street, which wasn't a part of their facility. Celeste, the manager and part of the hotel-owning family, has assembled a great staff in both the hotel and restaurant. Our only real complaint about the rooms, other than being so small and basic, is that we occasionally could hear voices in the hallway from inside our room, but this wasn't a big problem. We slept fine, despite being light sleepers. And the free shuttle to-and-from Malpensa is great.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We had really wanted to spend another night in Cinque Terre but realized it would be cutting it close to catch a morning flight from Malpensa. Were dreading spending the night at a boring airport hotel. We were so surprised when we walked into this family run hotel at 9pm Sunday night and not only was the hotel charming, tucked away in a small village, but their lovely restaurant was buzzing with people. We took our luggage upstairs and came down for a delicious pizza, bottle of wine and Mama's yummy lemonchello. Made our night especially when we realized the agent at Delta had booked our flights home for Tues not Monday. So we actually stayed here for 2 nights. They were so kind and suggested we return our rental car the next day, they would pick us up at the airport and take us Tue morning to catch our fight. Next morning after a lovely breakfast we headed up to the Lake Region for the day then turned in the car. We were picked up and returned to the hotel for another great pasta dinner at the hotel. A perfect ending to our trip to Italy. Definitely stay and dine at this family run hotel. PS If driving get good directions as it can be confusing to find…but worth it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I called the hotel on my arrival, exhausted from a 13 hour flight ... twenty minutes later was in their bus .... twenty minutes later was checking in, .... and twenty minutes after that, fast asleep in a clean, comfortable, albeit small, room with black out curtaining. What a pleasure! Good shower, minimally decorated room (but hey, I wasn't there for the decor) and a great breakfast, followed by a return trip to the airport for my onward connection.
The only comment I would make is that the collection from Malpensa is from Exit No. 10 - only accessible from outside the airport, to the far right - an area under construction, which made pick-up awkward - nothing to do with the hotel, but a chilly & grimy wait, nonetheless.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
La Grange, Kentucky
Reviewed June 12, 2014

We have been to Milan a total of three times now. We had stayed at Tres Leoni the first time, the food was good but I wasn't impressed with the comfort of the room. The second time, we stayed at Hilton Garden Inn where the rooms were comfortable, but the food wasn't so great. This hotel has it all! I loved the room with the balcony. I loved the food and the wine which is something I don't normally drink. And the family that operates the hotel and restaurant made us feel right at home!! They are absolutely wonderful and we truly enjoyed the conversations with them each night before the restaurant got busy.
We travel all the time and it is always so wonderful to find somewhere that we feel "at home". I am happy to say that we will be returning in September at which time I have been requested to bring a cap that says Kentucky. It will be with me and it will be a joy to deliver it in person.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have balconies overlooking the outdoor seating area for the restaurant. You won...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Essex, Connecticut
Reviewed June 9, 2014

A very nice hotel, newly remodeled in the spare modern Italian style, extremely comfortable and convenient to Milan's Malpensa Airport. A restaurant is handily located on the ground floor, but alas I arrived after having dinner so I couldn't try it. Unfortunately a few glitches prevent me from giving it 5 stars:
(1) When I phoned for shuttle pickup, the hotel staff told me to go to the #10 exit from Terminal 1. Unfortunately that part of the terminal has not been completed, so you cannot reach exit #10 from INSIDE the terminal, you have to go OUTSIDE and then you can see the exit numbers and find #10.
(2) Somehow I was booked for a double room by hotels.com when all I needed was a single. I don't know how this happened: at no point did I plan for a second person. If you use hotels.com, be sure to double check your reservation. I ended up paying for a double room.
(3) My emailed confirmation from hotels.com says "The private bathroom has a shower/tub combination.." My room did not have a tub, and the owner professed utter ignorance of what a shower/tub combination might be. I had done a 30km rowing "race" around Venice before I arrived, so I was looking forward to soaking in a tub. In other respects the room was excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We couldn't believe our luck at finding this treasure a couple miles from Malpensa airpot. Fully renovated hotel, very modern and charming; fabulous dinner at the restaurant downstairs; and an extremely pleasant family running the whole business. We expected a boring night before our flight and we felt like we were still on vacation - it was perfect. Free shuttle service to the airport (short 10 minute ride, but only goes once an hour in the morning), great breakfast and a great rate. Really a perfect ending to our trip. We would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed May 18, 2014

The Hotel Osteria della Pista is in a small town near the Malpensa airport of Milan. I booked the hotel as it offers a free shuttle service between the airport and the hotel. The shuttle leaves the hotel every hour, when you arrive in Malpensa you need to call the hotel and request the shuttle to pick you up. Casorate Sempione itself is a very small town, so don't expect many sightseeing attractions there.

The hotel staff is very friendly and caters to the international travelers by also speaking English and German. The rooms are modern, very comfortable and - most important to me - very clean. Breakfast is included in most room rates, with the breakfast buffet being basic, but acceptable. Don't expect the well stuffed smorgasbords you find at other places, but you need to keep in mind that this is a local run hotel.

I can highly recommend the hotel. It is also worth mentioning that the hotel also includes a very good restaurant, so you don't need to go outside for dinner. Please see my restaurant review for details about it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Cardano Hotel Malpensa
Cardano Hotel Malpensa
#1 of 6 in Cardano al Campo
Holiday Inn Express Milan-Malpensa Airport

Been to Hotel Osteria della Pista? Share your experiences!