“Fantastic Restaurant - one of the best!”
Review of Mas de La Bonoty

and 1 more site!
Mas de La Bonoty
North Wales, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Restaurant - one of the best!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I'm a professional food photographer and as such am fortunate to eat in some amazing places and sample some incredible food. Bonoty is up there with the best. Have been eating here whilst on holiday on Provence now for many years and despite the change of ownership the food has remained just as good.

Have no idea whatsoever what the previous reviewer was referring to when he/she complained about them not taking "foreign cards" - I've never had a problem. As to the French being spoken? French, in France? Who knew?!?!

Have attached some 'snaps' of our meals here (these really are just snaps and not my usual professional photos I hasten to add!!).

• Stayed July 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Newburyport, MA
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Loved the setting, loved the rambling farmhouse building, nice pool and the owner/chef has obviously a fine reputation for good reason: The terrace restaurant was full both Friday and Saturday nights, and our one dinner there was excellent. But as a hotel, it was okay. We had booked almost a year in advance for a family wedding happening 20 minutes away. My sister has some health issues and I specifically asked for the one downstairs room (I speak fluent French BTW, so language was not the issue). I was very clear about my dates: Thurs-Sat nights (the wedding was all set for a Saturday and we were arriving from US on a Thursday afternoon), and had an email exchange with the owner's wife, who runs the place with her husband. We duly arrived on Thursday late afternoon to be greeted by an annoyed wife who snapped: "You were supposed to have come yesterday, so when you didn't show up, I gave your room to someone else." Okay, but do you actually have a room for us (my husband and me)? My sister was shown to an upstairs room, and I asked why the Eglantine was unavailable as promised and was greeted with a shrug and "it's out of service." (Turns out she uses it herself.) The rooms were not large and incredibly stuffy. No a/c but floor fans were in each room. No one had opened the windows or shutters, and the bathroom was adequate, but with room for one. Yes, it is charming and rustic, but the attitude of the owner's wife was a complete turn-off. (The other staff members were very friendly.) Thanks to the place having Wi-Fi, I was able to show her our email correspondence that stated my booked dates very clearly. She was not even gracious in defeat: "Mon erreur" was all she begrudged me. We won't be going back.

Room Tip: Don't bother to ask for a special room: you won't get what you asked for!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed 4 nights in early May, but did not use the restaurant as the purpose of our trip was to attend a wedding and visit friends. The farmhouse is beautiful, as other reviewers have noted. Our room was small, quaint and charming, with a tiny but adequate shower room and a separate loo. The breakfast was wonderful with a fresh fruit salad every morning. Staff were helpful with booking taxis. We kept them informed of our arrangements and the timing of room cleaning was adjusted accordingly. It is important to realise that the restaurant is the main focus of activity here, not the room letting side. Not much English is spoken, though worth remembering that the UK equivalent would be certainly be English only. We paid with UK bank card. We were not disappointed with our stay and recommend Mas La Bonoty as a good base for a few days.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bucks
Reviewed May 27, 2013

There has been a recent change of ownership with catastrophic consequences for the Restaurant experience at Bonoty. We have been dining there for over 10 years and the deterioration is shocking.

The entire experience has been downgraded from fine dining to truck stop restaurant. We were seated beside a large family with child who would only settle if her iPad was playing the lion king. Half the time we were in a nursery; the other half in a cinema. This group should have been seated in a corner or private room - not in the centre.

The staff wore jeans and T Shirt or worse. The hotel has been downgraded to a cheap B&B. The new front of house manager is quite open about the fact that all decisions are made to maximise short term profit and too bad if some diners don't like it. No English is spoken and she is refuses to take non-French credit cards.

The end result of all this is that we were never at ease from the minute we took our seats until after we paid the bill. Richard must be turning in his grave at what has happened to the Bonoty

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank BucksAbcd1234
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We have stayed with Richard many times over the years and really enjoy going back. Richard's humour is as dry as ever and the staff are charming.This time on our way back to England it was a welcome touch of relaxation after a painting course in Provence. The new chef has maintained the high standard of the food - breakfast is bountiful and dinner offers a number of choices to suit most people. The rooms are not boutique hotel but have lots of character. In the summer having meals on the terraces is magical. It is also an excellent base to tour the area. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
East Midlands
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Great location for an extended stay. Views to Ventoux and surrounding countryside. However very disappointed by the breakfast offered. The fact that people staying more than one night brought their own items such as fruit and cheese gives you the idea. Also when booking make sure you confirm that the Loo/shower is not actually in the bedroom with just a curtain ! Needed prompts to replace Tea & Coffee & Toiletries. Restaurant did not live up to expectation. The room which we booked was very nice albeit access was through the actual restaurant. Great Thai/Vietnamese restaurant in town near post office.

Room Tip: Ask for detail of what is meant by en-suite
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shadoc1
NYC
Reviewed October 5, 2010

The house and the surrounding areas are both beautiful. So beautiful that you can probably just stare at the house for 2 hours and still think it's probably the most beautiful house you will ever stay in your life time. I really really wanted to love this place and give full 5 stars...but here are a few things that bothered me greatly.
First, we were glad that the owners were both British(which meant, i can talk to them in english, eventhough one might say that's not really a French experience) but we only got to meet the owner on the first day when we checked in(we probably got lucky to meet him that day). The owner was actually really nice and warm and my husband and I were delighted. The rest of time, the hotel was sort of ran by a young French lady who spoke not a single word in English(which is fine actually because we are in France after all) but you wouldn't exactly call her friendly or charming as one might expect from a nice charming inn in South of France. She was rather cold and not so friendly.
Now the room, we actually booked one of the bigger rooms...it wasn't big but wasn't small either but the problem was the shower. It had the World's smallest shower that even for a small person like me(5'3''), it was really hard to take a good shower. I literally had to shut the water, open the shower curtain to wash my hair for more space. Note that my room didn't have a bath. Also there wasn't enough hot water and there was no water pressure so taking a shower was a nightmare. They also didn't put heat in the room so it was cold at night(we were there on early Oct) and there wasn't anybody to ask.
They had a tv but not a single english channel.

Now the restaurant. I had a huge expectation of the restaurant as it seemed like a it's a pretty well known restaurant in that area. What a disappointment! Actually, it was one of the worst meals I had in France(other than one touristy restaurant i went by mistake in Paris like 5 years ago.lol) They basically has 2 pre fixe menu: 35 euro and 55 euro per person. I got the 35 euro menu and my husband got the 55. Both sounded so good on the menu but not a single dish was good. i think they concentrate more on the presentation of the food than the food itself. They look very tasty and pretty on the plate but the food quality was just plain mediocre. The serving sizes were also very small so we left hungry(luckly, we had extra sausages from the local market) . Suggested wine was so so too. Now the breakfast which is included in the room price, I'd skip it if I can. You get the worst tasting bread(worse than the bread you can get from a local supermarket in US) and again, it is served by this young french lady who also clean the house and do other chores. You also get coffee, OJ and some jams.

It has a nice swimming pool...but jesus, can they get rid of those ugly plastic chairs..it ruins the look of that beautiful house they own.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pernes-les-Fontaines
L'Hermitage
#10 of 12 in Pernes-les-Fontaines
Le Saint Victor
Le Saint Victor
#1 of 12 in Pernes-les-Fontaines

Been to Mas de La Bonoty? Share your experiences!