“Restaurant awful!”
Review of Strawberry Lodge

Strawberry Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Strawberry
Strawberry Lodge
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Restaurant awful!”
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Stopped here for lunch yesterday, looking forward to a good lunch like we had enjoyed years go at this rustic place. It has either changed hands or they just don't care anymore. Our first clue should've been the emptiness of the restaurant. The service was fast and courteous but the food was terrible. My burger was so greasy I could only get a small portion down. It was smothered in even greasier onions. The Cole slaw was good, as were the onion rings. Shrimp in the basket well done on outside and mushy raw tasting interior. My grandson was afraid to use the bathroom. The whole place really needs a good scrubbing! my husband is very easy to please in a restaurant and will eat anything. When he passed up the pie I knew he didn't care for his greasy Reuben either. Needless to say, we won't be driving 2 hours to visit this place again.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank jeanaz27

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
phx, az
Reviewed July 22, 2011

My daughters and I stayed at the Lodge for one night and yes...indeed, the rooms need to be updated and the bathroom tiles fixed or just plain replaced but we loved the restaurant and loved "Andrew" the waiter, the cook and the hotel clerk. He alone made our whole experience great! Actually don't know if anyone else works there???!! So thanks Andrew, you can't be expected to fix the rooms too...can you???

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Yes, Strawberry Lodge was a little dated but that was part of the charm. We stayed in the room that some of the negative reviewers were talking about but we loved it - we especially enjoyed the balcony and the fireplace in our room - when we ran out of wood, the staff cheerfully and quickly replaced it. Housekeeping staff felt like having your favorite aunts come in to tidy up. The restaurant was the best of comfort food and Chef Jan knows how to provide a friendly and efficient staff along with delicious meals. We wound up staying an extra day because we didn't want to leave! If you are looking for a place to compare with upmarket hotels, then Strawberry Lodge might not be for you - but be sure to stop in and get a piece of pie anyway! But if you are looking for a relaxing, friendly and peaceful place in the pines at very reasonable rates, you can't do better than Strawberry Lodge.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AppreciativeDuo
Reviewed January 22, 2011

The food is amazing, the service is very friendly and helpful, and you can't beat the atmosphere at the Strawberry Lodge, you can't go anywhere else in the rim country and have the same home like feeling as you do here sitting by the nice warm fires during the winter time drinking a hot cocoa and have a meal. The rooms are very nice and also have a great atmosphere, slept like a baby. Will definitely recommend to friends and family!!!

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank rrebeccaa
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed September 13, 2009

i tripped over this place a few years ago when I meant to go camping on the Mogollon Rim, but a thunderstorm came up with water running all over the place. I went in and had a great dinner and heard some live jazz and decided to spend the night. Now I have stayed in far better places, to be sure, but I have found the rather spartan rooms to be adequate and reasonably clean. The place was built in 1956 and little has been done to alter it. In some respects, yes, the property needs some sprucing up, especially the weeds and junk lying around, but I have spent several comfortable nights there when I went to hear jazz and enjoy a leisurely dinner out of setting right out of the 50's.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank EAZELIFF
St.Catharines, Ontario
Reviewed May 12, 2009

My husband and I spent our first two nights in Arizona at Strawberry Lodge early in April. I wasn't going to post a review until I read the comments from the previous guests. I thought the negative should be tempered with some positive. Yes, the lodge has seen better days, yes it was dated, yes the bathroom was tight and the wallpaper tacky, yes the linens were a bit threadbare, yes the smoke detector was gone (I would assume a guest probably knocked it off the wall years ago - after all, the room had a wood burning fireplace - it was probably going off constantly.).

But maybe we aren't so picky. Don't get me wrong - I appreciate a good Best Western as much as the next person, and a luxury hotel even more. But I can also handle the rustic charm of a by-gone (run-down) era. I loved the big stone fireplace. It covered an entire wall of the room. And since it was still rather chilly outside, we enjoyed a crackling fire and a bottle of wine, while curled up on the old 60s chairs. We had breakfast on the balcony in the morning sun, and watched spring come to life. The proprietors were friendly and helpful. And, although the rooms and linens were old, everything was clean. We chose to stay in Strawberry because it was the perfect jumping off point to the Mogollon and Fossil Creek wilderness areas. For this reason in particular, I would recommend it, but clearly it's not for everyone.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Warm_Heatherette
arizona
Reviewed April 26, 2009

I only picked this place to stay because of the fireplace, what a mistake!!!
The sheets were so thin you could see through them. the blankets were full of burn holes. the bathroom had about 4 inches between your knees and the wall if you were sitting on the toilet. there was no fire alarm and if there was a fire the other rooms had garden hoses attatced on the balcony. our hose holder was there but there was no hose. All that we lived with but the worst was showering in the morning, the shower looked clean until i looked up at the ceiling which was covered with mold, and after I got out of the shower the room reeked of the smell of it. this place is a public safety hazard and my next comments will be sent to the fire departments and health inspectors of that region, this place is not safe for anyone to habitate for even one night.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kyeager222
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strawberry
Majestic Mountain Inn
#2 of 12 in Payson
Super 8 Payson
Super 8 Payson
#6 of 12 in Payson

Been to Strawberry Lodge? Share your experiences!