“Brewing at it's very best”
Review of Theakston Brewery

Theakston Brewery
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Masham
More attraction details
Owner description: T&R Theakston Ltd is one of the oldest family breweries in Yorkshire and home of the legendary Old Peculier Ale. Visit this historical brewery in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales town of Masham. Experience first hand the craft and skill that goes into brewing our beers, the brewing process is built on almost two centuries of tradition, passed down through five generations of the Theakston family.2013 is a very special year as not only are we celebrating the 186th year of our company's foundation in 1827,but also ten years since we bought the brewery back from Scottish Courage and once again became a family owned independent brewery. Have a pint of our legendary beer in the Brewery Tap - The Black Bull in Paradise, names after the original inn, the Black Bull, where Robert Theakston first brewed our legendary ale and also the site where our brewery stands, once known as Paradise Fields. We always have six differnent Theakston Ales available on tap including our famous Old Peculier served from wooden casks. There is plenty to do and see including the Cooper’s shop where the cooper crafts the wooden barrels – one of the last remaining working cooperages in the country. Leave plenty of time to browse the gift shop full of ‘Peculier’ souvenirs and other Yorkshire delights.
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

The "factory tour" has become a useful way of raising a little extra money and raising a product's profile in recent years. But occasionally, it is something more. Such is the case at the Theakston brewery. Real ale is to lager what leather is to PVC. It is the genuine article, a natural product lovingly crafted from the very finest ingredients. And with a missionary zeal, you are conducted around this wonderfully original brewery by a knowledgeable guide. Most of the equipment has been in place for over 100 years, the only concession to progress being the replacement of the beam engine with new-fangled electricity. But when your beer is this good, clearly the process is not broken and so does not need fixing. Finishing in the bar, Theakstons prove they can walk the talk, justifying the pride they have in their beer. Some of us remain unconvinced that the legend which is Old Peculiar is created by man - surely this has more divine origins. If you are a real ale drinker, this tour is a delight. If you are not a real ale drinker, then take the tour and learn why you should be.

1  Thank Yorkshirecritic

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Good tour of a traditional brewery. It seems little has changed in a long time and the technology is mainly Victorian but none the worse for that. Our guide was very informative and the tasting session gave us a chance to compare about seven different beers.

2  Thank Jeff_B_7286
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited Theakstons Brewery yesterday as something to see whilst in the Dales on a weekend away. It was a brilliant, informative tour by a very nice lady round a traditional brewery. The fact that they only have 24 people working there making all the Theakstons ales is unbelievable! We particularly liked the idea that if you double up the drinks vouchers each person gets, you can get a taster tray at the end and sample all their ales as 1/3 pints - lovely idea. A brilliant tour round a working brewery, rather than just a tourist attraction with nothing actually going on. Would definitely recommend!!

Reviewed November 29, 2013

We visited the Theakstons brewery for a tour. What an interesting place this is.

The guided tour takes about 45 mins and is most informative. You get to see the entire journey of the beer making process. Then you end the tour with a free pint of your choice of Theakstons beer, or 2 halves, or 3 third pints! Tour and beer for under £7. Bargain.

Well worth a visit.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

My partner and I visited the brewery during our trip to Yorkshire to celebrate her birthday........I think this was probably her little present to me! If I'm honest I was only moderately keen on the idea to start with but once we arrived and our guide, Stuart, started chatting to us it all became much more interesting. He explained everything clearly and the trip around the actual brewery was amazing. It was so interesting to see just how they make the beer and to learn all of the detail and history. We then went into the on sit "pub" and I sampled the 6 real ales that they produce. Sitting next to a fine open fire with my fine lady next to me was a true delight! As long as you have some interest in either brewing or lovely traditional industries then I would suggest that a visit here would be well worth while. I'm happy to recommend this.