“Worst meal ever and I'm not one to complain!”

The Public Bar at the White Bear
Ranked #4 of 16 Restaurants in Masham
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Worst meal ever and I'm not one to complain!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I'm normally not one to complain but this was shocking.
Me and my boyfriend have eaten here a few times before and it was nice food. I ordered the butternut squash and spinach curry, I work in a restaurant and we have something similar on the menu so I had a rough idea what it should be like, well I took one look at it and thought this doesn't look right and I tasted it, it was so bland and watery it was like the base of a soup that hadnt been blitzed.I sent it back and asked for the fillet beef stroganoff, it arrived 5 minutes later but never got any cutlery and there was no one around to ask so i had to use my boyfriends as he had already finished his meal by the time i got mine. The stroganoff was ok but I don't think it was fillet, it was very tough. Also the bread we got was like cake, really heavy and sweet. I will definitely not be going back unless the standard of food improves and I guess if other people experienced the same they won't either.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Charlotte B

Bingley, United Kingdom
“Beef stroganoff a dream”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Had a super meal with fresh veg home cooked. Quiet day nice and friendly staff. We had stroganoff with rice and a homemade steak and ale pie with chips and fresh veg.

Visited July 2013
Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
“Friendly Atmosphere”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The food and beer selection gets an excellent. The bar staff were very attentive and made you feel very welcome. Our group was made up of 2 couples (40's) a 17 year olf and two twelve year olds. Nothing was too much trouble extra chips no problem cheesy chips no problem. My only critcism was the lack of vegetarian dishes. Although I didn't ask if anything else was available.
A very relaxed and informal place too enjoy some good food and beer.

• Visited June 2013
Boroughbridge, United Kingdom
“The heart of Yorkshire life - a fantastic place”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here for the beer festival - how much more fun can you have? Our party of 2 couples.(50+ and under 30) were scooped up by the atmosphere, the music, the locals and the staff! There was a range of over 30 beers to try, (including the dark & bitter no 3 yeeurgh - and the raspberry beer - yum...) live music over the whole weekend, a good mix of jazz, and more lively sets, The food was very, very good, particularly the breakfasts. Our bedrooms were enormous, with huge comfy beds. We liked the attention to detail with a tiny cafetiere and a jar of fresh coffee. Despite the fact that the place was packed, there was great attention from the staff. We have been to the White Bear before (although never for this weekend)... Love the place - it's well worth a visit.

• Visited June 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic stay!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

I booked here for my husbands birthday having read the good reviews. £100 for a room I still think is a tad high but we really enjoyed our stay here. The rooms are huge! very cosy and warm and the bed comfy and there is tea and coffee facilities with a wide range of different drinks to choose from. I have to mention the breakfast, it was the best breakfast I have ever had! Soo much choice and very tasty. Me and my husband still talk about it to this day. We are going to book for my birthday next!

Visited April 2013