“Friendly Atmosphere”

Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The food and beer selection gets an excellent. The bar staff were very attentive and made you feel very welcome. Our group was made up of 2 couples (40's) a 17 year olf and two twelve year olds. Nothing was too much trouble extra chips no problem cheesy chips no problem. My only critcism was the lack of vegetarian dishes. Although I didn't ask if anything else was available.
A very relaxed and informal place too enjoy some good food and beer.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here for the beer festival - how much more fun can you have? Our party of 2 couples.(50+ and under 30) were scooped up by the atmosphere, the music, the locals and the staff! There was a range of over 30 beers to try, (including the dark & bitter no 3 yeeurgh - and the raspberry beer - yum...) live music over the whole weekend, a good mix of jazz, and more lively sets, The food was very, very good, particularly the breakfasts. Our bedrooms were enormous, with huge comfy beds. We liked the attention to detail with a tiny cafetiere and a jar of fresh coffee. Despite the fact that the place was packed, there was great attention from the staff. We have been to the White Bear before (although never for this weekend)... Love the place - it's well worth a visit.

Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

I booked here for my husbands birthday having read the good reviews. £100 for a room I still think is a tad high but we really enjoyed our stay here. The rooms are huge! very cosy and warm and the bed comfy and there is tea and coffee facilities with a wide range of different drinks to choose from. I have to mention the breakfast, it was the best breakfast I have ever had! Soo much choice and very tasty. Me and my husband still talk about it to this day. We are going to book for my birthday next!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I was very disappointed with my most recent visit to the White Bear at Masham.
I’ve known this pub for over 30 years, from the days when it was the on-site bar for the old Theakston’s brewery. I hadn’t been there for many years and then returned a couple of years ago and since then have been for lunch on three or four occasions - and have been quite impressed.
But on this most recent visit, it seemed to me that standards had definitely slipped and that the pub was struggling to provide what might be described as some of the “Bear” necessities. A pub is always going to be judged on its combination of ambience, service - and food and drink. Get those right and chances are a pub will flourish; get those wrong or suggest any sort of inconsistency and there’s a danger customers will disappear.
It could be that my visit happened to coincide with a bad day. If that’s the case, no doubt other TripAdvisor members will report more positively. On this occasion though, there seemed to be no obvious sign of anyone of owner/manager status being around. There were three bar staff; two women and a young man flitting between two bars: a small public bar (where I was) and a more formal restaurant-style bar.
The key problem was the food. Prices are certainly on the more expensive side and therefore there’s an even higher expectation of being provided with something rather nice. I ordered fish and chips (at a whopping £11.95) only to find the batter was very greasy, with cooking oil being the most dominant flavour rather than the fish. As for the chips: they were hard and overcooked. My impression was that they had been cooked some time in advance and then reheated. I raised this point with one of the bar staff. “The chips are blanched first thing in the morning” she explained, claiming this was a widely-accepted practice.
“Why can’t they be freshly cooked? “ I asked. “That way you get nice chips rather than horrible ones.”
The chef “sends his apologies” I was told. I would have been more impressed if he had come out of his kitchen and personally explained his cooking methods.
As for the pork pie which my companion had, this was selected from the pub’s “Bites” menu of smaller meals. It was a rather odd dish anyway, served with two large tubs of sauce - one of chutney, the other of piccalilli, which seemed to be rather overdoing it for one small pork pie. And the trouble was the pork pie was far from being special. It was as hard as a rock with dark, congealed pastry suggesting it hadn’t exactly been produced fresh that morning. The cost of the pork pie was deducted from our bill.
Two final points: if you’re going to have two bars open, you need to ensure you can probably staff them both. It seemed to me that all the bar staff’s attention was directed towards the restaurant-style bar which is bound to make customers in the public bar feel like a bit of an inconvenience.
Rather reinforcing that impression was the fact that despite there being only four tables in the public bar, there was a large, black dog sprawled across the bench-type seat at one of the tables; with the bar staff making no effort to move the dog when new customers arrived.
Personally, I like dogs and am quite happy to see them in pubs, but when their concerns and comfort appear to take priority over those of paying customers, and when this is coupled with disappointing food and inattentive service; put it this way: I can’t see myself returning to the White Bear any time soon.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Nice friendly staff and superbly cooked home made food. I ate the beef and ale pie it was superb. I am a pretty good cook myself and am not often impressed by food but everything was spot on. The service was good and a nice atmosphere. Popped into the other eateries around and this looked the nicest and probably was. If you are here give it a try.