“Put off before we even got there”
Review of Bruce Arms

Bruce Arms
Ranked #4 of 17 Restaurants in Masham
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Bruce Arms pub sits to the north side of the historic market square in Masham, North Yorkshire, offering real ales and a selection of spirits, lagers and wines along with homemade food.Our huge beer garden has a spectacular outlook over the River Ure and Lower Wensleydale, that’s why we call the Bruce Arms ‘the pub with a view’!We also have a children’s play area within the beer garden, while parts of it can be hired for free for outdoor events such as music concerts, theatre and dance shows.
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Purchased a Groupon voucher as we had a holiday booked close by. My husband had to go in for an emergency hip operation and we didn't go on the holiday. I phoned up to see if we could use the voucher on the first of July (I was hoping this would be fine under the circumstances) when my husband had recovered and was told by a very rude lady 'no you can't'. Will not be visiting somewhere where the staff are so unhelpful.

juney2009, Manager at Bruce Arms, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

You forgot to mention that your voucher had run out on the 21st of April. I did suggest that you contact Groupon to see if there was anything you could do to get your money refunded - under the circumstances - but you hung up on me before I could finish the sentence!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We got a voucher for this place from Groupon, even without the voucher the price would have been cheap.

It's a typical locals pub inside, it has character but it sure isn't fancy!

The bar is well stocked and the food was surprisingly good, excellent I would say, hand cut chips, hand fried onion rings, a great lump of succulent gammon, the lot!

The locals drank like fish, they were harmless and friendly, they provided us lots of entertainment as on the night in question there was a cake contest and raffle taking place!

We had a great time!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Good food, excellent location in the city center. this old pub has familiar atmosphere. dogs are welcome.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Went for a light lunch with my husband,both ordered a hot sandwich mine was a BLT on a baggette, My husband roast beef. The lettuce and tomato on mine was non-existent the bacon was over cooked and luke warm,you could have used the baggette to hammer nails in the walls.I have to say my husband fared better his beef was tasty and as there was some gravy on it ,it helped to soften the stale bread.Needless to say we will not rush back.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Had lunch with my partner on a Groupon Voucher deal. We both had the jumbo fish & chips for the main meal. The fish was large & the beer batter was thin & crispy. However the chips were not the best I have had. For the amount we paid it was very good value but was not worth the full price. We were the first in at midday & we did not have long to wait for our starters. However as the pub got busier we had a wait of 45 minutes for our main course which is very poor. If it was not for the service I would have given a higher marking