All reviews courtyard room market square roll top bath the main hotel nice room bar area steak lovely meal black sheep an overnight stay evening meal good nights sleep cooked breakfast the pub weekend break full english enjoyable stay
Reviewed September 28, 2010

In a fantastic location on the square with lots of car parking space. Twin rooms were very nice with large bathroom. Heating didn't work - we mentioned it at reception but they didn't seem very bothered. Food in bar was adequate but large menu shows that everything is pre-prepared or frozen.
Staff at the bar were very good and generally friendly atmosphere.
Rooms were ridiculously expensive at over £90 with no breakfast. It's a nice hotel but no more than that.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Was really looking forward to staying at this hotel having passed it a few times before. Boy, was I going to be disappointed. Booked a double superior room by phone with the hotel for a Tuesday evening. I didn't receive any confirmation from the hotel so the day before I was due to stay I phoned the hotel to double check that they had the booking. I was told that yes they did (by the manager) and duly turned up the next day to be informed that there was no record of my booking. Ever get the feeling that you've been bumped for another customer? Yip, think that's what happened after looking at the other bookings mostly with well-known company names attached. No trace of my booking, nothing. Strange that it was confirmed only the day before. So, while I'm sure the hotel is very good, the administration is appalling. I was offered a B&B room very close by to be paid for by them, but had I wanted to stay at the B&B I would have booked it in the first place. Ended up driving to another town. Hope that this doesn't happen to anyone else.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank BusTrav2010
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We wanted to stay in the White Bear, which we love, and were disappointed to find it was fully booked. The mixed reviews on this site filled me with trepidation but the Kings Head was a lovely surprise.

We had reserved a double executive room, which turned out to be one of the stable yard rooms (the Coach House?) off the rear courtyard. It had its own front door, leading to a quaint entrance area with wooden beams and vintage furniture. At the far end was a beautiful, contemporary bathroom with a great shower and a roll top bath. It was sparkling clean.

The bedroom was on a mezzanine level and accessed via a curved staircase. It was a lovely, stylish room with beams and a flatscreen TV. The bed itself was nice and firm and the bedlinen was of a good quality.

Breakfast was not included so we went to the cafe over the square and had a smashing fry-up.

I would recommend this place to anyone but make sure you get one of the stable rooms rather than one in the main building.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank soorploom
Reviewed July 17, 2010

I've read some of the earlier reviews and I agree with the general theme of 'just about OK but could be much better".

Masham is a lovely place to spend a long weekend and where better to stay than the 250 year old main hotel on the market square. I've visited Masham often over the years and stayed a few times at the hotel. The trouble is that where accommodation in this country has really improved in the quality of the customer service and the standard of accommodation, the Kings Head has stood still and probably gone backwards a little. Many of the things that I'm going to mention are trivial on their own, but they all add up to paint a picture of a hotel that with some attention to detail could improve a lot and stop getting tripadvisor reviews like this one

Some specific examples from our stay.
1. Staff are generally friendly and some are very good, but one or 2 look like they started the job yesterday and whilst not unfriendly, just aren't coming to the job with customer service on their mind. Obvious examples being having to wait for service and asking twice for fresh coffee in a not busy breakfast room. We were told 'no beans' for the full english, but wern't offered say an extra sausage or egg. Another being we returned a drinks on 2 separate days which smelt like a dirty dishcloth. I can't rememer ever doing this elsewhere in my 20 odd years of buying drinks in pubs so there must be something wrong with their glass washing process, but all we got were incredulous and questioning looks when they should be worrying about what caused the problem

2. Rooms are generally OK if a little faded. I quite like a bit of faded charm but some small touches that you find in most cheaper B&Bs would improve things such as biscuits to go with the cofffee / tea, and tissues.

3. We ate in the restaurent one night but it wasn't an entirely happy experience. The menu is now Chef and Brewer, which means that there is quite a wide choice of mainly prepackaged reheated food which is an easy option for the hotel. but not I suspect what the majority of guests want, who like us would probebly prefer a simpler but at least individual freshly cooked menu. To make matters worse we went for the steaks which at least have to be freshly grilled but one of them was way over done and the other very tough. We went to the White Bear the following night (so popular you need to prebook, which you don't at the Kings Head) and had a much better and enjoyable meal.

4. Annoyingly breakfast isn't included in the price. The main cooked breakfast was good, but the continental breakfast was really very poor, little fresh fruit, no fresh fruit salad and the orange juice was the cheapest type you see in many places rather than a decent fresh orange. Coffee when it came was caffetierre (which is good) but far too weak, so probably made by someone who doesn't like coffee. Again, little things like having local jam rather than cheap plastic cartons would make things feel more special rather than ordinary

I could go on but I won't. Despite all of this I'm rather fond of the Kings Head and there are many good things about the hotel, not least the charming rooms, the beer, the locals atmosphere in the bar and the location. I'm writing this because I really want the managers to wake up and inject attention to detail and customer service and turn an ordinary customer experience into a delightful one

Would I return? Yes, but not next year. next year I'll try somewhere different

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MandGYorkies
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Our stay at the Kings Head was much anticipated, and was built around a fishing course for one of us and a days shopping for the other. We paid a bit extra to stay in a courtyard room, and we were impressed by the quirky nature of the lay out, and facilities. I liked the mix of modern facilities and old furniture. I was concerned that we would be disturbed by the smokers sitting out at the back of the hotel, but the double glazing did the trick and we never heard a thing. I never worked out how to use the shower, but the roll top bath was a pleasant way to soak the cares of the working week away. It wasn't until bedtime that we realised that we had no way of turning off an extremely bright security light that was on the wall at the top of the stairs, right by the bed. I was able to read my book by its light in the middle of the night! It was so intrusive that it certainly disturbed our sleep. When I mentioned it on checkout though, the staff told us that it has only just been fitted and they had asked for it to be removed. We were pleased to get a discount - though we hadn't mentioned it just to get one - and hope this will be fixed for future guests. We enjoyed our breakfasts, though we had thought that they were included in the room price and were surprised on checkout to find that they weren't.
My overall impression is that this hotel has the potential to become a really special place, but it just doesn't quite achieve. A few corners are cut - clean pressed bed linen, but a stained valance sheet; grubby walls that look as if a quick coat of paint would help; curtains that are not well hung. I know these are only small things, but when you are charging your guests quite high prices the details are important. However, if you are thinking of booking I would recommend you go, and enjoy yourself!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple