All reviewscourtyard roommarket squareroll top baththe main hotelnice roombar areasteaklovely mealblack sheepan overnight stayevening mealgood nights sleepcooked breakfastthe pubweekend breakfull englishenjoyable stay
Reviewed October 1, 2009

Hubby and I visit Masham regularly as it's one of our favourite places. We have usually, until this time, stayed in the Kings Head. However, over our last 3 visits to the restuarant (over 20ish months), we have had to complain. Admittedly, the 2nd time was due to lack of both food and wine available as they were changing the menu rather than the quality. Last weeks disaster was a bar meal which, after waiting over 1 hour in the first place, one of the dishes was incorrect. Both went back and came back over 1/2 hour later and mine (the one that was correct in the first place), was practically inedible. The staff are always very helpful and on all 3 occasions we have been recompensed however this is not really the point. The last time we stayed in the hotel (March this year) the bath panel had been kicked in (apparently by the previous occupants) - we didn't ask to be moved at the time but did report it. What I am most surprised about is that there is stiff competition now with the White Bear (where we stayed on this occasion) and so I would have expected the Kings Head to be raising their game and not letting it slip. I'm therefore really quite disappointed that I won't be staying or eating there again as it's in a fantastic spot. Advice to others? Try the White Bear!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yorkshireteatour
Reviewed August 6, 2009

I had the misfortune of visiting this establishment for a meal with my family on a market day lunchtime. After waiting nearly an hour for my meal, the food was an absolutle disgrace with chicken that had been cooked days before and reheated resulting in very dry, very tough chicken, a steak that was so tough that I had difficulty in swallowing it and to make things worse my chips were burnt. To top the whole thing off they over charged me on the bill by almost £15 by adding other people's drinks and instead of including the meal deal in the price they charged me the individual prices - all in all, a very very disappointing visit and one I wont be in a hurry to repeat

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank key2203
Reviewed June 7, 2009

Masham is a very pleasant and quiet market town, great for ales with Black Sheep and Theakston's on the doorstep. For a trip to Ripon Races we decided on the King's Head for an overnight stay as the website made the place seem very inviting.
All the rooms have names connected to the breing trade - we stayed in the Head Cooper's room. The room was lovely, overlooking the market square. It was very clean, pleasant decor with a comfy bed. It was slightly let down by the silicone around the bath which really needed replacing and made the bathroom look slightly down at heel.
We booked for dinner in the elegant dining room full of quirky assorted furniture such as french chapel chairs. The pre-printed menu did not bode well as it was reminiscent of many mass market pub chains with the only nod to locality being a reference to Whitby fish. It turned out to be super heated (microwaved?) poor quality fare. Breakfast was OK, but the cooked breakfast was largely packed out with beans and if it hadn't been included in my rate I would have compained about the £6.95 price tag; also the serving staff in the morning could have taken a leaf out of the pleasant, smiley young girl who served us at dinner.
If you get a good room only deal I would recommend this place - but it might be better to eat at the great chippy in the square.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2009

The rooms on offer at this centrally located pub are of a very high standard. We stayed in what looked like a converted barn and were very pleasantly surprised by the accomodation on offer. Excellent base for exploring this really pretty part of Yorkshire. The only let down was the brekkie, we ordered scrambled eggs on toast and unfortunately it lacked somewhat in taste and colour. Plus I do feel that for the prices breakfast should really be included, or maybe we've been spoilt by the quality and price of hotels whilst travelling down under. Wish we'd gone for the full english as this looked and smelled fantastic. Only a minor quibble though on what was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2008

Just returned from a wekend break at The Kings Head in Masham. We stayed at the back of the hotel in what looked like a former hay loft. The room was unussuall with an upstairs \downstairs set up.Nicely decorated,and clean (although we did find a pair of socks that had been left from a previous visitor behind the upstairs tv!) and the dim lighting upstairs made for a romatic setting. Flat screen tv's both upstairs and down was a bonus as we had our two young children with us.The bathroom was ok ,plenty off instant hot water , but the mildew round the bathroom seal and tiles was abit of a letdown as was the kettle in the living area which could do to be replaced.
We ate at the Hotel the first night and our large party were impressed with the speedy service and the quality of the food , of which there was more than ample amounts.I reccomend the venison which was superb,.Some of the starters were more like main courses though ,and i had to give up half way through my main as i was totally stuffed.The waitress and Manager were polite and very efficient.
The bar area was clean and offered an excellent wine selection and choice of lagers and ales,and the young barstaff did a decent job of keeping quite a busy bar running smoothly.
The staff ,overall, were polite enough ,although they didnt exactly 'bust a gut' to be friendly or welcoming , apart from The Manager and the girl who served the meals. A smile now and again doesnt cost the earth. Thats something maybe a couple of the staff could work on.
A couple of minor faults , but overall the Kings Head is a good place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)