“Total disaster”

Ranked #2 of 7 Masham B&B and Inns
Runcorn, United Kingdom
“Total disaster”
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

I booked the bay horse inn as a part of a surprise birthday present for my boyfriend. After having a lovely afternoon at the Black Sheep Brewery we went to the pub to check in to our room. We were initially met with the smell of something that could only be described as wet dog! Then I was told that they were not expecting any guests there. I showed the lady the confirmation email and told her I had also booked for dinner which was also met with utter confusion. I then rang the contact number on the booking confirmation, where the man, Paul who I spoke to was less than interested in helping me to resolve the problem. The lady at the pub did her best to sort out a room for us but after the day nearly being ruined by this mistake I couldn't think of anything worse than staying there! My advise is to pay a little extra and stay at the Kings Head Hotel, where you can expect nothing but excellent service and friendly, welcoming staff.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stephgeorge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights on a KGB Deal. Great value, food was plentiful and very good quality. Pub is under new management and the new people worked hard. Some aspects of the rooms need a lot of improvement but I am sure the new owners will get there

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ian A
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed 2 nights and found the staff very welcoming ,the food good value and very tasty .Room was a bit small and there was noise from downstairs until the late hours .This did not upset us
and we would return for another weekend .Good position in Masham :no problem parking in
the square . Beer (Black Sheep and Theakstons) was on good form . Excellent breakfast :nothing too much trouble .

1 Thank Andy L
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Good pub food- very friendly waitress- clean linen in room,however, these positives totally outweighed by the constant noise from the bar on a night. If you are going to relax or sleep after a day out walking go elsewhere. If you want to sit in the bar until late- go here. Really dissapointed that a potentially great birthday weekend was spoit by staying here. If you like extremely loud music on loop ( favourite tracks seem to be Lynard Skinner's Freebird & Glen Cambells Wichita Lineman) that from 10 p.m onwards seems to be turned up louder the later it gets (seemingly once diners have finished) then perhaps this may well suit you.
Having stayed in pubs before we expected some noise.. we are really easy going...on the friday night it was someones birthday and the noise from the bar and people stood outside smoking and shouting was constant until well into the early hours..however, we were happy to let it go. However,we didnt expect it to be the same on night 2...it was so bad we got up and drove home at 11.45pm. Not ideal and a waste of money... so diappointed..we wanted to like it....spoke to three other couiples who were there at the same time and they straight away commented about the awful noise at night and the foul langauage in the bar. Perhaps they will comment on here too. The management obviously can't please staying guests and locals who want to party. Stay elsewhere and just go here for a drink and a meal would be my suggestion.

3 Thank gilly6060
Lancashire, UK
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My hubby and I stayed for the weekend for my birthday and we were so pleased that we picked the Bay Horse, it is ideally situated for local attractions and we spent an entire day in Lightwater Valley theme park which has some really good rides.
First impressions were that it looked a bit tired and dated but you cannot judge a book by it's cover and I cannot say in enough words how wonderful our stay there was. From the moment we checked in the staff were excellent always friendly and cheerful and atteneded to your every need. The room we had was very clean and tidy and plenty big enough for a weekend stay with a very comfy bed, the en suite was very clean and bright and we made use of the loads of hot water with a lovely long soak in the bath. The food was excellent they have a great chef who makes some of the best food I have eaten from locally sourced produce and as I really like meringue desserts the chef made me a very georgeous eton mess from his his own hand picked blackberries. The breakfasts are huge much too much for me so I ordered a small one, but it sets you up for the day so you don't need any lunch.
We had a lot of fun with locals who are really very friendly and great characters and ended up not going to bed until past midnight as we were having so much of a good time, we really would have liked to stay longer as the weekend just went by so quickly.
The landlord Paul a great character keeps the bar and beers in the right conditions so you would never get a bad pint this came from my hubby who is one of the Camra clan.
So if you are thinging about going to North Yorkshire you cannot go wrong if you stay in this hotel. We will definately be going back and telling all of friends to go as well.
Thanks again Bay Horse for giving us such a brilliant weekend.

1 Thank 01-Well-Travelled-01
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We were booked in for 2 nights at this hotel, after 1 night I'd had enough the room were substandard and the bar tired and scruffy it did not warrant £69 per night. The staff were very polite and friendly and the breakfast was good, but I was not staying a second night. When checking out she said the owner wanted 1 nights fee plus half price for the second night. Not in a million years, I was not paying extra when the rooms were freezing the pub was loud and the shower leaked. The owner was very rude and unapproachable. He simply replied pay what you want and stormed off. I asked the lady I would pay one night plus breakfast. She said £90 I paid her £80 WHICH SHE SAID WAS THE PRICE FOR ROOM AND BREAKFAST! the room was £69 but to avoid hassle I paid the extra. Will not stay again and the prices need to be seriously looked at!

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank chazlk
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights,2 on a deal. Thoroughly enjoyed it .All Staff were very friendly, especially Robina, Rhiannon and Josh. Food was superb ,Chefs were outstanding, ate there every night. Good choice of food, good portions and service. Room was clean, bed comfortable. Locals were friendly in the bar. Definitely be going back for another visit soon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Masham
Swinton Park
Kings Head Hotel Masham
The Black Swan Inn
The Black Swan Inn
#1 of 1 in Fearby

Been to The Bay Horse? Share your experiences!