“Lovely Dales pub and B&B”
Review of The Bay Horse

The Bay Horse
Ranked #2 of 7 Masham B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Roaring fires, large portions, friendly staff and comfy beds!
I has the Steak pie and it was fantastic.
It does get a bit rowdy in the bar on weekend nights but we couldn't here any noise on the top floor, I think our friends above the bar found it a bit much though!
Lovely lovely place though and would definitely recommend - perhaps request a top floor room if you are a light sleeper.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anna G

Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is a proper inn,roaring fires great food and ale to make you want another, and another could not find fault with it at all. My wife and I booked Sharon and kens cottage (thorp end cottage mash am) for a three night break, see my other review for the cottage. So took full advantage of the bay for most of our meals, which also allowed our two websites to come and sit by the roaring fire, we had great break and would recomend to friends and family without hesitation. We would love to return for a 3 night mid week break and stay at the inn which is currently a bargain. For bed breakfast including evening meal.

Many thanks to all of the friendly staff and the locals.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and i needed a well deserved break and after having a drink at The Bay in the summer whilst visiting Masham i decided to book in for a mid week stay. We got a very friendly welcome and were shown to our room which was clean and comfortable with all we required. I could go on forever about the quality of the food at the bay but suffice to say it is superb... All the staff are friendly and very accommodating and are a credit to Sharon and Ken. Cannot
praise highly enough, we will most certainly be back, possibly taking advantage of your gorgeous self catering cottage as well at some point!!
Thanks again
Andy and Yvonne Seaton

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yvonne S
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We were recommended The Bay Horse by a friend who has been resident in Masham for many years. Upon entry the roaring fires and friendly welcome made us feel instantly at home.

My Black Sheep was by far the best of several that week - perfectly kept. The menu was full of things you wanted to eat and all home made and with a strong leaning to local sourcing. Curries, chili, burgers, pies - all home made and more sophisticated dishes of pheasant and venison. Portions were enormous - especially my daughters childrens menu option which would have easily fed an adult and finished with superb chocolate brownie and the excellent Brymor ice-cream. Staff were friendly and enthusiastic - keen to ensure that all was well.

Just the sort of pub I would love to have as my own local - indeed it seemed the pub in town were the locals gathered. So good we went back for lunch the next day and were so glad we tried the goose burger - took this usually humdrum dish to a different level - quite historic!!

For me it sets the standard on how to run a proper pub with real values and integrity!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jason G
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Myself plus 3 adults and four children had an evening meal at the pub, we all agreed it was delicious and the best meal out we have had in ages. I had lamb whilst the other three adults had the homemade steak pie.The price of the meal was very reasonable considering the standard of food.

The pub had an excellent atmosphere, with a good mix of local and holiday makers. Plus roaring fires and spotless toilets. I really couldn't find fault with anything, I just wish it was my local !

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I had booked 1 night ( through Booking.com) to break our journey from Scotland to the Midlands.
After a 5.5hr journey from Scotland we were looking forward to a good meal and a comfortable night's rest. The staff were very welcoming but when we were shown to our room on the top floor we were dismayed. Not only was the room extremely narrow (just room for the bed) but the last flight of stairs were so steep that my wife struggled to make it to the top (we are both in our late 60's). I asked if the were any other available rooms but they were full. So we left the pub and walked across the square to The King's Head Hotel and found a very comfortable ground floor room which we accepted and promptly cancelled at The Bay Horse. I cannot make any comment on their food or hospitality as we did not stay with them.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Mike P
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I called in, as she just wanted some chips, rather than a full meal. An enormous portion of chips arrived. They were really good, and the portion was so big, I had to help the wife to eat them. I had two excellent pints of cask ale, and while we were there, several meals came out for other people. They looked great, and enormous. The ambience of the pub was superb: just the sort of pub I love. Whilst there, we noticed that they do rooms, so we will be looking at booking one in the future

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Masham
Swinton Park Country Club and Spa
#3 of 7 in Masham
The Bruce Arms
The Bruce Arms
#3 of 6 in Masham

Been to The Bay Horse? Share your experiences!