“Pleasantly surprised”

Hotel Le Canada Hermanville
Reviewed June 23, 2013

After reading some of the other reviews on here I was quite worried about staying here. It was the first night of our holiday and we arrived quite late at night. We rang the bell at the front door and were told our room number and directed to the side entrance. The room was clean and a decent size and the bathroom was also clean. The breakfast was plentiful and good. Very good value for money.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue540

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Hotel Le Canada is a great place to stay when visiting the battlefields. The hotel has one of the lowest prices in the region. There are rooms in the hotel and in a separate building, (a series of rooms attached together). The Internet worked good and the room was clean. It was a good value for the money. It appeared the owner does not speak English, (which was fine because I had a guide who speak French). The owner is trusting - they leave the outside rooms unlocked with the keys in the door. I guess if you come late, you take a room and pay for it in the morning (???)

Room Tip: I liked the rooms in the outbuilding.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Excellent little hotel, great service, good breakfast. Quiet location. Nice room and very clean.
It is a little far from town, but if you have a car then no problem. Proprietor was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Having booked in we went out for a meal. On our return my husband went to the toilet and noticed that the wall behind the toilet has faeces smeared on it. I phoned the proprietor and he said he would deal with it in the morning.

In the morning when we went down to breakfast he made no reference to my phone call until I mentioned the subject at which point he said that as I had used the toilet on arrival I should have noticed this. As I am a woman I sit on the toilet and face the other direction so I had not noticed.

He did not apologise nor did he go to the room to check the situation.

The exchange between myself and the proprietor was conducted in French so there was no possibility of him not understanding our complaint.

Room Tip: Just don't book this hotel
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank yractual
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Pretty much like every other review of this hotel. Great for a one nighter, basic and clean. Location very good for the Battlefields.

The host was very pleasant and helpful.

My visit was 'off season', so i decided to walk to the town...i did not see one person, and the town centre was deserted. So, off season either take some food and/or drive to Oustreham down the road.

This hotel was inexpensive, so good value for money really.

Room Tip: Go for the superior en suite room
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night in Dec.2012. This was purely for convenience. I had an early morning ferry to catch from nearby Ouistreham (6mins drive), and wanted to avoid having to set out at 5am from my home near Mayenne, so decided to stay the night before in a near-port hotel. Spoke to the owner on the phone beforehand. Very jovial, but I was a bit taken aback to be told there'd be no one on duty on my arrival (8pm approx) - he told me that a side door would be open, and that I should simply go upstairs & find the key in the door of my room. This worked ok, except that when I then went out to eat, the heavy & slightly wonky side gate shut on my finger, which remains a bit bruised. Not to worry, the room, although very basic, was reasonably clean & had a decent en suite loo & shower. The arrangement for paying was a bit 'unusual' - simply to leave cash on a bedside table. There was no one around when I departed at around 7:15am (perhaps there would have been if I'd gone for the breakfast option?) Would I stay there again? Probably, but only in similar circumstances, just for convenience. I booked it through booking.com. Next time I'll do it direct with the owner.

Room Tip: Talk to the owner beforehand: +33 (0)2 31 97 23 48
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Although on the main road there was little traffic and the double glazing reduced the road noise. Basic room had a seperately toilet and shower which was nice. Bathroom had more room than most. Room was clean and comfortable. Staff were helpfull and freezed our cold packs for the eski every day.
The hotel is one block from the sea front with some amazing large houses along the promenade. They also have some larger family rooms out the back opening onto the garden area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hermanville-sur-mer
Hotel de Lion sur Mer
#1 of 2 in Hermanville-sur-mer
Au Ch'ti Normand
Au Ch'ti Normand
#1 of 2 in Hermanville-sur-mer

Been to Hotel Le Canada Hermanville? Share your experiences!