“Lovely warm atmosphere - third time here and will return”
Review of Posthotel Ettal

Posthotel Ettal
and 1 more site!
Posthotel Ettal
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Ettal
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely warm atmosphere - third time here and will return”
Reviewed January 12, 2011

We initially found this lovely hotel in Winter 2004. We received a warm welcome into this clean, pretty hotel with stunning location directly opposite Kloster Ettal at 14th Century monastry. We have just returned for a third visit to Ettal and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else. Our four year old daughter loves it too. On each of the three occasions we stayed at the hotel for no less than 10 days as we found lots to do in the area and our hosts treated us to gorgeous breakfasts, a platter of homemade biscuits on Christmas Eve and let us borrow their sled and tobogan. I think anyone who writes a negative review of this hotel has their own agenda. It was definitely a big thumbs up. Helene, John and Dahlia

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank johnandhelene

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Jacksonville, Oregon
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Rudeness

When we checked into our room in the Post Hotel Ettal - near Omerammergau, I told the inn clerk that the bed was very hard and that the springs were pushing up. “Vell, vee has had tree tousand peoples staying wit vus, and NOBODY has complain!” I told her the bed was still very uncomfortable and could I please have two extra comforters so I could use them as extra padding. “Vell, I vill check out zee bed.” When we got back that evening there was ONE thin blanket placed in our room. So much for room service.

The next morning at 8:55, as we were finishing up packing, the same harsh lady burst into our room. I scrambled to get the bathroom door closed to protect my wife from being viewed by a stranger.

“You know you has to be out of zee room by nine!” And she demanded our room key. We have never had anything like that happen in any of our travels before. And we still had five minutes to go before checkout time and she was forcing us out!

When we asked for a bus schedule, she rolled her eyes, acted as though we were stupid for asking and then threw the schedule on the desk and would not help us try to figure it out. We finally got some help by going out to the bus stop and asked a little 9 year-old bus rider. He spoke some English and really wanted to help.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank LBS1940

Travelers are raving about these Ettal hotels

Rotterdam
Reviewed July 4, 2010

I booked the hotel 2 days in advance, suddenly an option. It was the cheapest available on the internet (to be found) around Garmisch due to BMW Motorrad Days, and they asked for €280 for two nights. Insanely pricy, but as I couldn't find any thing else I went for it.

The initial impression was a friendly family run hotel, but then I discovered that the shower was partly broken (bikers like their showers), on the morning for checking the cleaning staff was knocking all doors at 8am (the excuse was that they did not know who was still in their room), then for payment, I ordered via the internet with my credit card, but they only would accept cash payment (excuse was that I only booked 2 days in advance, and their regular customers had all paid in advance - now do they only want regular customers???).

Have to be said that I was able to borrow a needle and some thread.

All in all, a place which a) can get them to charge this about of money, and b) do not take credit card from "non" regular customer in not a place I can recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank casperghst42
New Hampshire
Reviewed July 6, 2009

clean basic room. definately no frills in the family room. 1 bed, 1 pullout couch, closet, bath, toilet, towels.

Barbara spoke english very well. the breakfast was ample but german.
Don't stay here if looking for french toast! We did not leave hungry.

Unlike the other post, i had no problem with the pricing. I would say that rather than staying in Ettal, I would probably stay in oberammergau or garmisch in stead as it is a larger town. I stayed there in the family room which was very basic (much more so than the pictures)
We have 4 in the family and I was trying to save some money since 4 in a room in difficult in Europe. The couch was a littel tight for my 13 and 17 year old sons but we made due. Barbara did offer two rooms instead but the price was $75 more per night.

post hotel is in the center of town and central to a few things. Although i did not stay in the kloisterbrauhaus next door, i did eat dinner there it was great!. I would consider that hotel instead. I would stay if money was a real concern and it was the best rate you could find. you get what you pay for however.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank traveler347
Manhattan
Reviewed January 1, 2009

When I inquired about the price for a double room, I was quoted a price of 60 euros. I asked THREE times to clarify. However, when I checked out, I was informed that the price was per person, so that a double room actually costs 120 Euros. It is a nice hotel very close to a monastery in a tiny little town, and the room was big, but I felt like I had been tricked with the price. The night before we stayed in Garmisch, which is a ski resort town nearby, and only paid 70 Euros for a beautiful huge suite with a view of the Alps. No other hotel during my trip (I stayed at 14 hotels) quoted the price per person -- every other hotel quoted prices per room. I don't mind paying more for a hotel with nice facilities, but I would rather be told the price up front rather than getting a bill for twice what I expect when I check out, as that makes me feel like I have been lied to. When I inquired about the price difference at check out, the owner showed me a sheet of room prices which says, in the midst of a lot of text, that the room quotes are per person. However, I was not shown this chart when I checked in. Basically, the hotel needs to make it clear that they are quoting prices per person, rather than per room (especially since 99% of the time in germany rates are quoted per room).

• Disliked — charged twice as much as what they said the room cost
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank congomongo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ettal
Hotel Blaue Gams
#3 of 25 in Oberammergau
Hotel Forsthaus
Hotel Forsthaus
#1 of 3 in Oberau

Been to Posthotel Ettal? Share your experiences!