Tripadvisor
Salt Rock

“Best coffee, great service!”

Salt Rock Coffee Company
Ranked #2 of 3 Coffee & Tea in Salt Rock
Description: HAND ROASTED COFFEE Through the hand roasting process, each coffee bean becomes unique, leading to the best possible quality and flavour being produced every time.
Reviewed January 21, 2020

I go there regularly and I‘ve always had good service and the coffee is definitely the best I’ve ever had on the North Coast! Love it!

Date of visit: December 2019
Write a reviewReviews (6)

Reviewed January 14, 2020

I had such a strange experience at the Salt Rock Coffee Company! Popped in there on Thursday afternoon on my way back to Durban to try the coffee. Approached the counter and there was no one there, after a moment another woman (white, short hair, casually dressed – for the sake of ID) who had been sitting in the cafe approached the counter standing on my side, I thought at first she was also a customer. She asked me what I wanted. I asked if there was a price list I could look at. She said no. I said I prefer when there is a price list. She muttered something that sounded like ‘still waiting for the boards’ (I couldn’t quite hear). She then had to go behind the counter and read the prices off from the screen of the till point, just reading through every coffee even ones I had no intention of ordering. This for a start was awkward. So I ordered an Americano at R25. Then I was looking at a stack of bags of coffee beans near the till and I was interested in them. Again, no visible price. So I asked her how much they were. I heard her say R95 (my husband says she said, ‘about R95’). So I took my time choosing one. When she rang it up I noticed the bill was R145. So I queried it and was told no, that one was R120. So I asked which ones were R95. She points me to an entirely different part of the shop, on the far side of the till where another brand was displayed. So why not give me the price of the actual coffee I was looking at? So then I wasted my time as I wasn’t going to pay R120 for 250 g when I can get a bag of single origin really good house roasted coffee in Durban for half the price. In the end I bought one of the R95 ones just to see what it was like. So then it all rang up as R120. I was waiting and she told me it’s done now – so I said where is the receipt? She said there isn’t one. I said, isn’t it normal practice to give a receipt? She said shortly (and I quote directly), ‘NO, it’s not. We never give receipts.’ (!) In that case, how about a small sign saying – ‘we don’t usually give receipts…. Please ask if you require one’. At this point I was really wishing I had never gone in there, let alone tried to buy anything. It honestly felt like someone had gone out and left their mom in charge. Sorry if that causes offence, but that’s exactly how it felt – my husband said the same! On the plus side, the coffee was good (although on the pricey side a rather small Americano), very dark and strong if you like that, and the place is much more spacious on the inside than the outside with lots of open benches so if you are looking for a place to work it looks good, esp. if you don't need to know the price of anything.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed December 11, 2019 via mobile

I’m not a coffee expert but the coffee was smooth and tasty not bitter at all. Tastefully done our cafe Will be returning.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed June 11, 2019 via mobile

My husband brought some takeaway coffee from SRC this morning and sadly it was so vile he poured it down the drain. Mine was only made acceptable by adding sugar and more water. Pity as the shop looked really nice. Please understand we are regular coffee drinkers who like a strong cup but this was a flop.

Date of visit: June 2019
Salt_Rock_Coffee, Owner at Salt Rock Coffee Company, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2019

Please accept our apologies for the coffee. We would like to rectify this and happily refund your purchase and offer you another coffee of your choice free of charge

Kind regards
SRCC

Reviewed May 13, 2019 via mobile

Salt rock coffee company is an awesome place to go to! Whether it's for coffee, business, social or just a place to chill out at. It's unique and comfortable atmosphere brings lots of smiles and laughs, as well as coffee of course! Definitely a place I'd recommend and visit religiously! Best coffee, best service.

Date of visit: May 2019