“No room for dessert!”

Ranked #3 of 29 Restaurants in Usk
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We had a lunch on one day and a dinner on another day here, during Usk Open Gardens weekend. Despite it being a busy weekend, and we hadn't booked in advance, we were accommodated without fuss. The young lady who was in attendance on both occasions was extremely pleasant and remembered us when we went back. The owner is very genial and very much hands on.
Food on both occasions was lovely. Well presented and very generous! A superb bottle of merlot with dinner was a welcome surprise at around £15. We would have loved to have sampled their desserts, but like most diners around us - we were too full so they remain a mystery.
We would certainly eat at this extremely clean and well presented traditional pub again when in the area.

2  Thank NettePowys

Reviewed June 27, 2014

I so want to write a review giving 5 stars! The Nag's Head's ambience is lovely - inside and out. The front of house service is excellent, very welcoming yet professional and efficient, an overall quality standard rarely encountered these days. The menu is varied, mouthwatering and enthusiastically conveyed by the staff. The food? Well that is where I very reluctantly have to stop at 4 stars.

We both ordered the homemade leek and welsh cheese soup followed by a freshly cooked steak pie and its rabbit equivalent. Accompanying vegetables sampled were chips, sauté potatoes, a root veg mash and broccoli. Sadly everything just missed. As examples: the pies were very generous and looked the part but neither had much flavour; the suet style pastry was a little too stodgy; the sauté potatoes were really just soft par roasted pieces of skin-on new potato.

We really enjoyed the experience of eating at The Nag's Head but both felt the food was frustratingly one notch away from the quality of everything around it. That said, I am sure we might give a second try on a future visit to Usk and we would recommend but with some reservations.

2  Thank TonyKnighton_Wales
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I was browsing the internet looking for someone nice to go to meet family half way between Cardiff and Hereford and after reading reviews this seemed an ideal spot. I rang up to ask to view a menu and the lady there sent one straight over by email, I was very impressed with the wide variety they had on offer ( especially the vegetarian options). We booked our table for 7 a week in advance and were all looking forward to it.
Upon arrival I found the area to be charming and pub itself to be very beautiful with all the flowers they had outside.
The staff were VERY accommodating and the service was top notch! The waitress was very polite and friendly.
The food was delicious, I had the cheese and leak soup followed by Glamorgan sausages with chips and a variety of veg. My whole family was so pleased and loved the food and all said to me "well done for finding this place, we'll have to come again" - I agree. I would love to come back again.

3  Thank luvcatrin
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

We visited this pub on two occasions in a relatively short period of time. I am pleased to say both experiences were delightful.

We received a very warm welcome, good service, good food & drinks and the pub itself really is full of character.

A very enjoyable way to spend and afternoon or evening if you're in or around Usk.

1  Thank Sure99
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We were drawn to this lovely little pub as soon as we saw it! The owner was kind enough to move a table into the sun for us, the staff were so friendly. Inside the pub oozes character and charm. The food was lovely, with a range of sandwiches and meals as well as some unusual but delicious alternatives!! The frogs legs were yummy!! Hope to return again one day. I Highly recommend you visit this place if you are in the area.

1  Thank Batfink123