“Five star experience in three star hotel.”

Three Salmons Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Usk
Reviewed September 1, 2014

My wife and i celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Three Salmons Hotel at the weekend.
It was a great place to stay with friendly helpfully staff and great food.

We ate in the restaurant where the choice of food was varied and of a high standard.
After the evening meal we couldn't wait for breakfast, and weren't disappointed.

Having also stayed at the bigger hotel with all the golf courses we both agreed the Three Salmons was a better place for less money. We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nick p

Reviewed August 30, 2014

I worked at the hotel for the Salmonsfest 2014. Firstly I have to say what an amazing weekend this was with the guys working so so hard to ensure everyone had a fantastic time. I had the privilege of staying at the hotel afterwards. The room we had was great, the bar service and hospitality second to none and the breakfast the following morning of the highest quality. Food throughout the weekend from the kitchen was top rate. However the one thing that makes this hotel what it is, are the staff. After 15 years of staying in hotels and travelling it is so nice to meet a team that care so much about the customers but more importantly about THEIR hotel. From the managers to the chefs, bar staff and everyone else, there is an atmosphere of pride and passion that you do not get from the chain hotels we all stay in so regularly. Never was anything too much trouble and even down to bringing cups of tea to guys who had worked hard throughout the weekend. If you get the opportunity to stay at this hotel then take it. It is the only time I have actually felt at home in a hotel and this is due to Brendan, Morgan, James and the immensely talented group of staff that they have in this hotel. Thank you guys and look forward to seeing you all again.

Room Tip: All rooms equally as good from my experience.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank BristolGeeUnit
Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

Casual relaxed atmosphere and impeccable staff with excellent manner. Had a shared lasagne to die for, salmon and crab with a fantastic salad and a bowl of fries enough for four! Will be going back to stay the night the next time we are in Usk as they have rooms you can let the dog stay in as well.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2014

My fiancée and I visited the Three Salmons Hotel in July and had such a warm welcome, the staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The food was delicious and the menu was interesting and varied. We will definitely be back in the near future.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa1970Cardiff
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I have spent Monday to Thursday nights for the last six weeks at this hotel due to work commitments and felt that I am well qualified to give an honest view of the hotel, food, cleanliness, staff etc.
There are a number of different styles of rooms in the hotel, some in the main building and some in a building over the road. During my six weeks I have sampled three different rooms, two in the main building and one in the other. The rooms in the main building appear to have been refurbished and are modern, in a classical, country house style, with lovely new bathrooms with showers over the bath that are powerful and hot - all the time. The room that I had in the other building was huge with a large four poster bed that was very comfortable - as were all the beds. However, the bathroom was a bit dated and could have done with a refurb. The shower was not as good as the main building rooms either. All the rooms were very clean, with lovely fresh white bedding and lovely large soft white towels.
The bar area was very nice, traditional in style and many locals appeared to be regulars. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The menu looked a little strange, with full explanations about what the food contained, eg black garlic oil and was a little off-putting, but the food was lovely - in particular the rump of lamb with herb crust. I don't like 'bloody' lamb and I know that professional chefs like to serve it that way, but when I requested it be cooked thoroughly there was no issue with this and it was perfect. I also have to mention the homemade bread - another example of what should have been a bit strange was the Guinness and apricot bread - despite it sounding odd, it was beautiful.
The breakfast service was also very good, the waiting staff were very friendly, prompt and attentive without being in your face. The choice of food was more than adequate and was freshly cooked and very well presented.
I am hoping that next time I am down in the area for work that I will be able to stay at the Three Salmons again. You will note that I have not said which room I preferred as I don't want it to be unavailable next time I want to stay!!
The small town the hotel is in is very picturesque, with lots of small specialist shops, flowers everywhere and lots of interesting buildings. well worth a visit

Room Tip: The rooms in the main building look to have been refurbished recently, with very good bathrooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank fmgNewcastleuponTyne
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have stayed here twice for business and had varying experiences. The hotel looks very tempting from the outside but it has been sanitised inside, it lacks the character the its exterior promises. My first room in the annex across the road was small and disappointing, it felt rather like a 1950s travelling salesman's room. That is a rather unsupportable comment but it certainly conveys the cramped nature of the room and the instability of the flooring. My second visit had me staying in the hotel itself and while the attic room was small it felt more opulent, more indulgent.
The staff are perfectly nice, and some are excellent, the one meal that I had there was very good and the breakfasts are really good, but I felt rather overcharged for my room in the annex so it left a slightly bad taste in my mouth

Room Tip: Make sure you are staying in the main hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We lived in this area 30 years ago and the Three Salmons was the place to stay. In fact family members had wedding receptions there as well as family gatherings in the restaurant. We might be relying on good memories but what a change!!! We were passing through Usk on Saturday and stopped for a snack. We had sandwiches and quite frankly the bread was thin, processed and could have been bought from a budget supermarket. The beef in my sandwich and the cheese in my Husband's was ultra thin. We watched other sandwiches come out and they were far superior.
As for attention at the bar, staff were competing to run away rather than serve. So disappointed.
We provided feedback at reception but received same response in defensive manner by the barman who did not want to serve anyone in the first place.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Usk
Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
#1 of 3 in Abergavenny
Parva Farmhouse Riverside Guesthouse
7 mi away
The Parkway Hotel & Spa

Been to Three Salmons Hotel? Share your experiences!