“Wedding - 24th May 2013”

Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Usk
Pontypridd, Wales, United Kingdom
“Wedding - 24th May 2013”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We had the perfect wedding and the hotel staff played a huge part in making it so wonderful! From our first visit we fell in love with the hotel and after speaking to Carol we knew that everything would be taken care of. She was so organised and helpful throughout the whole process.

We can't praise the hotel staff enough for the service we received on the day! They were absolutely fantastic! Nothing was too much trouble and they made the day run so smoothly. The wedding breakfast was delicious and all our guests commented on how much they enjoyed the meal (and how much they loved having a choice of starter and dessert on the day!) The hog roast was again delicious, we couldn’t have hoped for better food on the day.

The DJ the hotel supplied was brilliant, he really took on board all the songs we had requested on our form and tailored the rest of the music around those songs which was fantastic and made for a brilliant party! The photos we had in the hotels grounds are really beautiful. Glen Yr Afon is the perfect place to get married!

1 Thank JennyFrelford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My friend booked a table in the restaurant for lunch as a birthday surprise. We were warmly greeted and had a pre-dinner drink in the bar. When we were shown to our table the staff had decorated it for my birthday. The food was delicious, we had a choice of main menu or lunch menu. My sweet arrived with a candle and a singing waiter!! We had coffee and then sat in the beautiful well kept garden. A perfect day in a perfect setting.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Hiltons2
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We got married on the 6th of April this year and all I can say is what a day!! it was truly perfect. Glen yr afon kept all of their promises on making our day a memorable one for all the right reasons! From the moment we came to look at the venue for a possible booking and throughout our planning Carol and the staff made us feel we were the only wedding coming up! they even knew us by name even when we would pop in on the off chance.
On the wedding day they knew the names of our top table guests, my mother being called Miss Tracie, this made my mother feel so special. we also had gifts off them we knew nothing about (I wont say as it would spoil surprises for the future brides.)
All i can say is thank you to Carol, Matthew and the rest of the staff at Glen yr Afon for making our day even more perfect. we will always come back to your hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emma p
West Midlands
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Friends of mine stayed here and recommended the hotel. It sounded so good I joined them on their second visit, but was very disappointed.
We were shown to our rooms, with no offer of helping with bags, which in itself was surprising for a hotel which gave the impression of being of a high standard. My room had pieces of wall paper beginning to peel off and the parts of the walls that were emulsioned were scratched and had pieces flaking off. There was only one very shallow drawer in the dressing table, yet the wardrobe was huge and could easily have held a small chest of drawers. The bathroom had only shower creme, shampoo and a bath hat in the complementary toiletries, and there wasn't one decent light in either the room or the bathroom. I did expect a bright light over the bathroom mirror at least.
On the plus side the water was hot (eventually) and the room was very quiet. The towels were soft and the bed comfy.
The restaurant food varied, with dishes being cooked a different way on the two evenings. It was also rather chilly. The helpings were very generous, in fact there was too much for us. We did ask for smaller portions, but the request fell on dead ears. Breakfasts were good, and there was a wide choice.
The hotel is set in beautiful grounds, and I would imagine is ideal for weddings. As an ordinary guest, a car is very useful, although it is a pleasant walk into Usk, a lovely little town, with some great pubs, also serving excellent food at reasonable prices.
Would I stay again? Probably, as my friends said the room (which was my main complaint) was probably going to be refurbished as the last time they were there, rooms were being redecorated etc. and their rooms certainly had features mine lacked. I think, though, that I would probably ask to be moved, as I felt that it most certainly was NOT worth the price, and I rather resented what I considered to be a high price. I also thought the restaurant prices were a little high (particularly the wines, which were nothing special). Overall, a disappointing stay.

Room Tip: Don't have Room 33!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alindae
TStrong, Owner at Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Alindae

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review I must admit I was a little surprised to read it as we had also received a customer comment card (marked excellent) from your party on departure.

I must apologise that you were not offered a helping hand with your luggage, this is very unusual and we do make it a policy to offer help and show new guests to their bedrooms.

We have a continual program for refurbishing all areas of the Glen yr Afon, last year we refurbished 13 of our bedrooms and bathrooms. The room that you stayed in has recently had a brand new Villeroy and Boch bathroom fitted, together with new high quality floor and wall tiles. I can confirm that the bathroom mirror is both heated (for anti-fog) and lit all around with bright LED lights; the switch is at the bottom of the mirror fitting, but I will see if there is anything I can do you make it more noticeable.

Julie, our head chef is well known for being generous with the meal portions and uses only locally sourced produce. Julie is equally happy to provide smaller portions if requested. Our wines are carefully chosen at an annual wine tasting; we have nearly 80 wines on our list ranging from easy drinking wines by the glass to more complex wines to match the dishes on our menu. The vast majority are supplied by Tanners from Shrewsbury; they have won many accolades including being awarded the UK independent merchant of the Year 2011/2012 by Decanter magazine world wine awards.

The room that you stayed in is due for redecoration and new furniture which will of course pick up all of the points that you mentioned.

We do remain committed to our high standards at the Glen yr Afon and I hope that this was evident from the referrals and good reports that you mentioned from others. We do strive to do everything to our best ability here, and always with the customer in mind. Thank you once again and please accept this as a reassurance from us all at the Glen yr Afon that you will receive our best attention at all times.

Yours sincerely

Tim Strong.
Director
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

18 months ago my husband and I got engaged, the glen yr afon was the only place that we looked at for our reception.
As soon as we met carol and saw what the glen yr afon had to offer we knew straight away that it was perfect for our wedding day, as the planning went on I knew that if I needed to ask carol something she would normally get back to me within a couple of hours ( which is more than most hotels do).
Throughout the planning stages we attended every wedding fare that the hotel held plus the wedding open days and also we came for Sunday ouch to try out the food, which was amazing!!
Carol was amazing organising everything and this showed us that the hotel deserves its awards for best welsh wedding venue.
The day before the wedding my husband and some of our guests stayed at the hotel on a two night deal, they told me the food was out of this world, whilst I had to make do with a takeaway!
On the day itself the sun was shining, the blossom trees in bloom and the harpist on arrival was perfect, I managed a sneaky peak of the ballroom before the meal and it was perfect with our colour scheme.
The wedding breakfast was perfect and the staff were excellent in their service, a credit to the hotel, all of our guests said it was the best food they had ever had and the hog roast in the evening was amazing, even if the head on the hog freaked out my sister in law :))
The whole day was perfect and went without any problems, we had so many people saying it was the best wedding they had ever been to, the special gifts we received from the hotel were unexpected but a personal touch that we will treasure forever.
The bridal suite was truly amazing and the breakfast was just delicious.
I am certain that every opportunity we have we will return to the glen yr afon, may it be for Sunday lunch or a night or two away as a treat but we will definately be back ASAP and especially for our wedding anniversary :)

We just wish we could do it all over again as the glen yr afon is the best venue for a wedding!!

1 Thank sarah151181
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

When our son was married here in 2009 we were very impressed with the service from the staff and owners. On that occasion we had a two night wedding package (dinner, bed and breakfast) which was excellent. The Friday night dinner was as good, if not better, than some top-rated restaurants we have been to and breakfast cannot be faulted whatever your requirements.
This time (May 2013) we opted for their dinner, bed and breakfast package for three nights. Yet again everything was excellent and we were made to feel quite special (which we are not).
Many thanks to all of the staff at the Glen-yr-Afon, particularly Steve the chef.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter room during the 'wedding season'.
1 Thank drewperman
Amersham
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We made a last minute decision to have a weekend away and when we rang to book a room, it was explained that there was a wedding on the Saturday and to ensure our peace and quiet, we were given the rooms over in the stable cottage. Absolutely brilliant, home from home, everything you could ask for. Would be perfect for a family as washing machine, cooking facilities etc. Dinner was amazing. Attentive service even though two large birthday parties in the restaurant and apart from the wedding, another private function going on. Food was outstanding. We were joined the following morning by two friends, unfortunately missing the breakfast hours. However, coffee, croissants toast and jam were brought to the library for them. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel. Our thanks to everyone who made our break away so wonderful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wendy C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Usk
Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clearwell

Been to Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel? Share your experiences!