Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
$69
$120
$100
  • Pool
Cross Keys Inn(Usk)(Great Value!)
$62
$123
$70
Usk Valley(Bettws Newydd)
$95
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
Hotels.com
All reviewswedding venueafternoon teawedding breakfastluxury breakwedding receptioncakesmr mrsfrom start to finishwrapsamazing weddingbeautiful venueevening buffetwhole processsilver servicesorbetdance floorfood was fantastic
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We were staying at a B&B in Usk over Xmas for 2 nights and were not overly impressed with the food on offer so decided to eat out at the Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel. This hotel is rated 3 star but our experience was certainly 5 star. Without exception the staff were all very attentive, we couldn't have been looked after any better had we been staying overnight at the hotel. The food was excellent, the service was exceptional and the price fortunately was only 3 star. There was also a wedding reception in full swing in another room but this did not detract from the service we received. If I decide to visit Wales again I may well consider staying at this hotel. Overall a top class experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Firefighter123
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Our wedding day was held at the Glen-yr-Afon Hotel on 16th January 2011. We had only 6 weeks to plan the entire day from scratch and we were so lucky to find an available date in such a beautiful venue at such short notice. In hindsight, if I had had ten years to plan my wedding, I wouldn't have chosen anywhere else. This wedding venue was meant to be. Our day was perfect.

The wedding co-ordinator here (Carol) is nothing short of amazing. She is the Mary Poppins of the wedding co-ordination world. Nothing was too much trouble for her. She is such a homely, friendly yet professional lady and I honestly cannot speak highly enough of her.

Along with alot of family and friends, we arrived the day before the wedding for an evening meal together in Clarkes (the hotel restaurant). Wow! Amazing food, professional service, and the head waiter (Im so sorry that I forget his name, but he was italian - I think!) was brilliant. Everyone really enjoyed their food - even my then mother-in-law to be who is a bit of a food connoisseur commented on how nice it was.

The rooms were spotlessly clean, spacious, and the beds comfortable. The honeymoon suite is lovely - very classic in style with a beautiful solid-wood four poster bed. Breakfast in the morning was fantastic and the waitresses were lovely.

The whole 'timetable' of the actual wedding day went without a hitch, and again the food was superb. All of our guests were really impressed to have a choice for the wedding breakfast menu, and they are all still raving about the food at our wedding to this day. I only wish that the corset of my dress had been less tight so that I could have eaten more of it!! The room looked beautiful, and the staff were professional at all times. Also, the harpist comes highly recommended - she gave our day that extra bit of magic. Oh, and one young man called Matthew (who I now believe is helping out with the wedding co-ordinating) was amazing too - very polite, freindly and professional, and an asset to you.

We also stayed overnight earlier this year for our one-year anniversary and we had the most delightful experience. I get the feeling that the staff at this hotel are more like close friends and family, than simply people who work together. They seem to have fun at work (without being unprofessional) and this really shows through the amazing job that they all do. Afternoon tea here would give any top London hotel a run for their money - it is worth a visit to the Glen-yr-Afon just to sample this delight alone.

I honestly cannot recommend this highly enough as a both a wedding venue and a hotel. They are well-deserved winners of the Best Wedding Venue in Wales Award 2011 & 2012, and I hope that they continue to be commended for all of their fantastic work for many many years to come.

Thank you all so, so much. You run a truly special place that will always stay dear to our hearts x

Mr & Mrs James Graham

Room Tip: The Bridal Suite is lovely for an extra special treat :-)
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SweetkittyWales
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed for 1 night prior to attending a friend's funeral nearby. The staff are really helpful (finding me cuff links which I had forgot). The room (3) was large with a big king size bed. Unfortunately the bathroom radiator wasn't working and they couldn't fix it but it wasn't particularly cold.

For dinner I had a delicious butternut squash soup served in an unusual bowl (bread could have been warm), pan fried sea bass with ample vegetables (and a little pot of chips!) ,and creme brûlée followed by liqueur coffee. I also had a half carafe of South African Sauvignon. Total £50 - not cheap but well presented and very tasty.

Breakfast was massive with all the trimmings.

The Christmas decorations around the hotel were fantastic with a revolving Christmas tree! The little table decorations were unusual. Overall a feeling of quality and definitely a family hotel - not part of a chain.

The funeral wake was held in their large function room and again the quality and quantity of food was superb. The staff served mourners coffee and tea on arrival and were constantly topping up wine glasses and looking after people well.

A wonderful pleasant experience for a sad occasion from a 3 star hotel that I only decided to overnight at because the weather was bad!

Room Tip: The grounds are extensive so I should imagine all rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank BobH764
Reviewed December 8, 2012

As a member of a local organisation I visit this hotel about once a month for talks. We're always well looked after by the staff. Recent afternoon tea (and talk) was excellent with dainty sandwiches and delicious cakes.
Had planned to meet friends there for a light lunch shortly but the only lunchtime menu available - their Christmas menu - was a little more than we wanted both in quantity and price. Having said that it's probably worth it as the menu looked delicious. I asked if they had a light menu but apparently not at this time of year. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this venue though.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Liz G
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Shall definitely be returning to this excellent hotel. From the moment we were greeted by the receptionist to the time we said 'good-bye' our stay was perfect: all the staff were friendly and helpful, making us feel at home: the food was of a consistently high standard: our rooms were attractively decorated, comfortable and very clean: the location was excellent for exploring the surrounding countryside. Our thanks to all who made our all-too-short a stay special

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends