“Home cooking with an edge”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hall Inn

The Hall Inn
Ranked #5 of 27 Restaurants in Usk
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
“Home cooking with an edge”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lovely cosy inn, food is home cooking but with a five star touch.
They have a excellent menu and service is very good.
Some very usual meals and also bar snacks.

Newport, United Kingdom
“Simple's Best!”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Popped in to The Hall at Gwehelog, having passed it by for many years for no reason at all. Lunchtime, felling a little peckish but not wanting a meal, we opted for a beef and horseradish baguette which came with some golden chips (chips do matter, you know!). Verdict? Very good - good quality filling, decent portion and the chips rounded off everything very satisfactorily. Simple Dimple but so tasty...Doesn't have to be tarted up to be good. Oh, I do hate pretentious rubbish! This was just plain and simple and jolly good. Must pop back for a full lunch or an evening meal soon. we're not 'local' but I'm sure it'll be worth the 30 minute ride from home. Looking forward to returning soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Hmmm Could do Better!!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Went here for Sunday Lunch and was told on arrival that we could order from the full Menu, only to find when we came to order this was not the case and only Sunday Lunch was available. This is fine however in the small print it says they chef is happy to cook you anything if there is nothing you fancy on the menu - but I'm guessing on a Sunday this does not apply!

We were a group of six adults and one child - they only had limited high chairs so we had to wait to order so that we could use one of the high chairs. There is also no baby changing facilities that we could find anyway!

Also its worth mentioning that the place is tight - i.e. they have crammed in as many tables and chairs as possible to maximise seating.

Now the food - starters we very good - can't fault the portion sizes and the quality. The mains however (which were Sunday lunch) were a lot to be desired if we are honest. We all had different meats (Beef, Lamb and Chicken) and the lamb was dry, along with the chicken which was also cold, the waitress didn't come over to see how things were and we were unable to get her attention so I simply left it. The new potatoes were lovely, however the roast potatoes you needed a chain saw to cut through as they had been hanging around for so long they had dried out. The Yorkshire pudding was also disappointing - it was heavy and not like any Yorkshire Pudding I have ever had previously. Most of the vegetables also tasted like they had been hanging around for a while - which was disappointing.

Service on drinks wasn't that good - but you could easily go to the bar if you were dying of thirst!

The deserts were all good with the exception of a piece of plastic found in the apple crumble - we mentioned this to the waitress and advised she mention it to the chef and she apologised for this.

Upon settling the bill we discovered that they had not charged us for the apple crumble and had also taken another desert off the bill as goodwill which was very nice of them.

Overall - would I return? No, I know this may seem harsh but I have had a better lunch elsewhere - perhaps this was just an off day.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask

Visited January 2013
1 Thank RuthyBaby23
cardiff
“super place for lunch”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

we met some friends for lunch mid week and the reviews seemed good .threeof us eat from the set price menu which was a very wide and interesting set of choices .we agreed the food seemed more restaurant prepared than pub food .freshly prepared and of generous proportions . i personally can highly recommend the steak and kidney pudding !!a la carte meal was ok but not good value for money--so stick to the set menu .service was frindly and efficient.we eat in the bar which was comfortable and had a nice feel . others were in the adjacent dining room which looked nice

Raglan, United Kingdom
“"Where are my SPROUTS ??!!”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I had a group Christmas lunch with 15 friends;( pre-booked & pre-ordered). When we arrived at the specified time, the place was full to bursting point; 2 other tables of 16 - 20 already seated & ordering/eating. It was 30mins before our starters began to arrive, then a full hour before main course landed. I had opted for the Trad. Xmas lunch, so eagerly awaiting my annual quota of Brussels Sprouts etc. etc.. Firstly, my enthusiasm waned somewhat when my main course arrived, looking promising, but luke-warm at best, and set on a COLD PLATE!! To my dismay, not only was the selection of veg that accompanied the meal barely warm either (potatoes cold), but there was NOT A SPROUT TO BE SEEN!!

Others in my group were so vocal in their praise of the meal, that it felt inappropriate for me to lodge a complaint; (though, had I been served the same meal as an individual diner, it would certainly have been returned to the kitchen whence it had come!)

Having been to The Hall on several previous non-Festive occasions over many years and enjoyed excellent down-to-earth food & fine service, this was a disappointing experience which i can put down only to an attempt to fit in as many people as possible in order to maximise revenue. This is something that happens in so, so many eateries nationwide at Christmas time when they try to squeeze in more guests than they can cope with.

The Hall Inn is a delightful old country pub & restaurant and it would be unfair to judge it down on the basis of a pre-Xmas party experience; this is, in fact, one of our local gems and well worth a visit at any other time of year.

I shall undoubtedly return again as I know how good it can be there when they work within their capacity.

( NO EXCUSE FOR NO SPROUTS THOUGH!!!!)

• Visited December 2012