“A sad let down”

The Castle Inn
Ranked #17 of 26 Restaurants in Usk
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bristol
“A sad let down”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I'm sorry to say that I wasn't impressed when I visited. We visited as a party of 5 for a birthday so we needed it to be special

The menu selection wasn't brilliant, most of the starters are amoked. But I did enjoy the goats cheese starter which was brilliantly presented. The steaks on the main meals were dry and the duck was slightly over cooked

What was more upsetting was the wait between courses and ordering drinks and the arrival of the drinks. Our first drink order took 5-10 mins to arrive, the second order was wrong and when I went to the bar to ask for the missing wine I was given a warm bottle of white wine. The third order was cancelled after we waited 10+ mins before I cancelled it. The staff seemed new and didn't really know what to do with themselves. When I spoke to an older gentleman about the drinks situation he just said that the only member of staff was rushed off his feet and that he would be with me when he has finished. This gentleman didn't offer to pour the drinks and simply allowed me to cancel the drinks order.

I also didn't appreciate that on arrival I had to push my way through two men smoking on the door step in order to get in. Yes this is also a pub but it didn't create a good first impression.

I understand that the place in under new hands but these problems need to be sorted as we would have walked out if we could have

1 Thank Welshdriver

Birmingham
“A delightful week-end break location.”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

The Inn has recently been refurbished, very carefully. The character of a market town Inn has been retained and, unlike many 'gastropubs' we have seen in the Cotswolds, the bar has been retained and the locals are still made welcome. The restaurant is well worth a visit. The food is beautifully produced and presented and there is a well-considered variety of dishes on the menu. The presentation was amusing without being too weird! The smoked duck breast was smoking under a glass cover when presented and the 'catch of the Day', beer-battered cod, was served in specially printed 'newspaper' complete with topical articles and crossword! The accommodation was very good with new fixtures and fittings and great beds and towels. A lovely place for a few days in the countryside. Usk is a fine traditional old market town with proper family- run shops, fascinating old castle and church and well cared-for old houses.

UK
“Fantastic all around!”
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Fabulous value , 4 star accommodation and 5 star treatment from new proprietors (after chatting I found out one of them is a former Mercure General Manager), who apparently has captured Matt, young, very talented and award winning Chef. The food was fantastic- the goats cheese and salmon concoctions- to die for. Highly recommend!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Arrived at The Castle without a booking after walking out of The Rat Trap near by. Met by a lovely guy called James who has recently taken over the premises. There were 3 available rooms, we choose room 8, a newly re-furnished attic room, very twee, immaculate, light, modern and fresh with plenty of old character. A low bearing beam runs through the room which I loved but you have to watch your head. There were tea/ coffee facilities, a hair dryer, water and plenty of hot water in the shower. We asked for another chair in the room to watch tv and James brought one straight up.

Breakfast was delicious. The restaurant menu looked lovely though we didn't actually eat in the evening.

There will be private parking soon and the garden is going to have a big facelift before Summer ready for sitting out with a drink. A new website is being set up right now.

It was very reasonable but the warmth of the staff really made it. We will look forward to returning in a few months for a break.

Visited February 2014
Caerphilly
“What a local village pub should be like”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I practically grew up in this pub when I lived in the village (my mother worked there, I wasn't an infant alcoholic!!) and whilst staying at the nearby Cwrt Bleddyn we spent an afternoon here on Saturday 8th Feb. I always try and pop in when in Usk as I have such great memories of the place and it didn't disappoint.

This was a significant sporting day with two Six Nations games being played and the Swansea vs Cardiff South Wales Derby.

We had some lunch from the bar menu which was extremely well priced and was lovely.

We wanted to watch the football rather than the rugby so the landlady very kindly put the football on in the smaller room while the rugby was shown in the bar.

The real ale was Doom Bar, which was really nice and the locals made everyone feel welcome. Lovely atmosphere, lovely building and a great day out (apart from Cardiff losing 3-0). Highly recommended.

• Visited February 2014