“Not if you like fish and chips, pubs and full English”

RV Hotel Ametlla Mar
Chipping Sodbury, United Kingdom
“Not if you like fish and chips, pubs and full English”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I usually read reviews before booking but we booked this through an employee scheme at a good rate so only read the reviews after booking. I was prepared to book somewhere after reading these reviews but.... It is actually quite nice. There are mainly Spanish people here, shock horror! In a Spanish hotel! I have been to English hotels in England, full of English people, believe it or not. There are a mix of Nationalities here which is nice, some staff speak English, enough to get what we need. The food is fine, buffet style, with a large choice of 3 courses. Someone wrote that they couldn't recognise the food as it is Spanish, haha. I can report that I recognised everything and it tastes good, perhaps the reviewer has had a sheltered life, there is fish and chips if you like but also a large range of salads, soup, steak, aubergine, mixed veg etc. etc. A varied mix each day, not piping hot but it is a buffet after all. It is really quiet here this week (30th May) so hardly any sun loungers being used, this may be an issue in peak season though. Another reviewer said there were lots of elderly people here, there are some but the age range is mixed, there is also a group of Spanish school children. If you don't like elderly people then an 18 to 30 holiday might be better for you. In summary, the bedrooms are pretty basic but comfortable. You do need a car if you want to see other things, but how you would get here without one, I don't know. The beach is actually clean but small. The outdoor pools are not heated but clean and tidy, the place is quiet for teenagers, overall, good not fantastic.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea view but higher floors have the best views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Johnsdad10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
radstock somerset uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

we were shocked to find when we arrived that we were the only brits staying here and the hotel caters for the spanish. The staff couldnt understand english and neither could the kids club so my kids hated ithe fact they couldnt do kids club all week!!. outside pool area was overcrowded and noisy. couldnt get a sunbed as the spanish reserve the sunbeds with their towels too!! Food was excellent but you had to pay for all drinks at lunch and dinner on the full board package (even water)and the waiters could not speak any english apart from please and thankyou. the spaniards would push my children out of the way to get to the food. They have absolutely no manners. They were arrogant and rude. The beach was rubbish with grit instead of sand. Rooms clean and tidy although bed really uncomfortable and tv no english channels. We had to go out all the time as nothing to do at the hotel due to the language barrier and not being able to get a sun bed! What started out as a bargain ended up costing us much more than we anticipated due to hving to go out all the time,
My kids couldnt even get on the table tennis all week due to the spanish kids hogging it and not giving anyone else a go!
Would not stay here again due to the fact it caters for the spanish and the staff can not speak or understand english. Which is fair enough but I will make sure I research any future hotels from now on to check if english is widely spoken,
One last thing the village and sorrounding area to the hotel is horrible and not at all appealing which really lets this hotel down. You defo need a car so glad we did otherwise it might have felt like a prison sentence at this hotel!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Louise K
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

Having only booked the hotel 48 hours before arriving, I didn't know what to expect other than the hotel looked nice & offered a good range of services.

Yes, the hotel is quite remote, located a mile from the closest village. Yes, you might need a car for the transfer from the airport. Yes, the hotel is quiet and caters for families & the older generation. But, for me, that was the charm & exactly what I wanted - A safe, relaxing, quiet but yet fun environment for my wife & two children.

And the best thing about the hotel?! A complete lack of British people moaning about everything! Whilst communication wasn't always easy, when in Spain.... Deal with it!

From start to finish, the staff made our holiday relaxing. An easy check-in & lovely views from the balcony of a clean, functional room. No English TV?! Do the Spanish moan that they can't get Spanish TV in London?? If you want Sky, stick to Benidorm or Lloret de Mar, you're welcome to it.

Our all-inclusive package gave us three meals per day, where the buffet style presentation gave a nice range & plentiful supply of foods to suit all the family. The staff in the restuarant & bar were courteous and efficient, supplying drinks & ice creams throughout the day.

The garden & pool areas of the hotel are well maintained, clean and safe. A large swimming pool, a childrens pool & spa pool were permanently supervised by a lifeguard, and the Childrens Club (multi-lingual staff) and on-site playground gave my children a good variety of ways to amuse themselves without being reliant on their parents.

In the evenings, the large bar & entertainment area were a nice, civilised place to spend time with your family, basically the Spanish socialising with no 'beered-up Brits' rolling around.

Yes, the beach could be better, but with three pools, a playground and a childrens club, it didn't really matter and I've encountered far worse beaches elsewhere.

Overall, I consider the hotel to be a great 'find' & perhaps I shouldn't post a review for fear of encouraging UK travellers to try it, but credit where credit is due & I look forward to returning.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Lipsyla
Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

A large, elegant hotel, splendid garden and direct access to small beach. Excellent bar facilities. All rooms have sea view. Noise well under control. Does look at first as it deserves its 4 star status.
You should however be aware of two bad experiences we (and others we spoke to) had:
- food lukewarm at best, never hot.
- an nauseating (sewers) smell in some (bath)rooms that they didn't seem to be able to cope with.
Not something to go back to.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
12 Thank roverist
Romania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

I would like to write about my experience with Hotel Amettla Mar located in Urb. Roques Daurades Cala Bon Capó 43860 L’Ametlla de Mar.
I was there in June, 10th-19th, 2009, with my son of 9 years and a group of friends (families) with their children, in total, 25 people out of which 12 where children with ages between 5 to 16 years.
The hotel is shown as 4*, but it is far away from this quality, at least in regards to the amenities they provide.
This is a hotel for old people, mainly retired, or for families with very small children (1-2 year).
Although the manager was listening to our complaints and she promised to do her best to solve some of them, she was, unfortunately not so empowered to do so.
The swimming pool should have had a bar opened, the sun beds were without umbrellas, we couldn't play too much in the swimming pool, not to disturb the old ladies sitting around.Also, no music was on and although she promised to start it, someone was keep shutting down the installation.
The beach was not very clean and with small rocks, same in the water. Ok, she said that the beach was not owned by the hotel, but the village City Hall was responsible for cleaning it. In my view, I don't care who is responsible to clean, just to have clean places and enjoy my vacation, not to go away from the hotel, just to find better ways of spending my time which should have been one for resting and enjoying the time with my son and my friends. I would've hated this hotel if was alone there, only with my son and husband.
The rooms were not very large, but the view was great. Also, the cleanliness was not very good and the TV had only few programs in Spanish, CNN and Eurosport being hardly to be watched.
We also requested to have some table arranged for our group for evening, but the restaurant Chef refused.
There are lot of other not so nice things to be mentioned, but simply said, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to people that want to have fun and good bath in the see. You also need a car to go there.
The city is kind of village and I don't have much to say.
They have some small shops, but don't have variety of products in there.

5 Thank CrisabRomania

Travelers are raving about these L'Ametlla de Mar hotels

england
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

First the bad points-Hotel in the middle of nowhere. We walked an hour before finding any shops, and then there wasnt much. Hotel shop rarely open. Rooms not as described. No iron or ironing board, very basic with no tea/coffe making facilites. Beds large but very hard like sleeping on a pile of bricks. There was nowhere in the hotel that you could get a drink until breakfast opened and you were not allowed to take drinks from the restaurant out, so if you wanted tea/coffee after breakfast on the patio you couldnt. Hotel staff would serve Spanish before us and we were the only Brits in the whole place. One time with just two people waiting to be served before us it took 20 mins for us to be served our drinks as they served the Spanish as they came up to the bar. No snack bar, even if we wanted to pay and lots of things not included, in fact is was more like fullboard and not allinclusive. Beach looked dirty and the rules were very strict in the pool, so if you have children who like to take the large rubber rings or lilos in the pool be warned they are not allowed.
Now for the good points-the hotel caters for the Spanish and at night you can hear a pin drop as it is very quiet. We were quite amused to see all the OAPs rushing for the lifts at 10.30 with only a handfull of guests left to enjoy the Spanish version of line dancing. Only Spanish music played. Plenty of sunbeds and we didnt have to rush to put our towels out on the beds. Plenty of choice in the restaurant, but food all completly Spanish and sometimes difficult to know what you were eating, and wasnt very hot. Hotel very clean and rooms spotless, sheets changed daily. If you are looking for a peaceful holiday (although they do talk loudly around the pool) typically Spanish in the middle of nowhere then this is the place for you. If you have a young family, or teenagers or want to party, then choose somewhere else. It suited us as we were a group of 4 40ish mums celebrating Jackies 40th birthday and wanted a complete rest doing nothing, I wouldnt go back to this area as I found the Catalans quite agressive and there wasnt anything close to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank sharonagate
Swanley Kent
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2008

Stayed here with the teenage children aged 14 and 12 .
The hotel was basically in the middle of no where.The beach was not sand it was nasty gravel.The pool was freezing .The food was cold ,it had to be microwaved at every meal time .
The reception staff spoke no English and were quite rude and unhelpful.The rooms were very basic ,not the star rating it shows I did not think .Entertainment was poor no english speaking entertainment whatsoever.We had to drive daily to Salou for a beach and an atmosphere.I would not recommend this hotel to anyone with children or looking for a nice beach.There was no where to walk to either.Will not be returning .

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the hotel
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
#1 of 3 in Deltebre
Camping Ametlla
Camping Ametlla
#1 of 4 in L'Ametlla de Mar

Been to RV Hotel Ametlla Mar? Share your experiences!