Starhotels Grand Milan
$66
$64
Hotels.com
$103
Virginia Palace Hotel(Garbagnate Milanese)
$84
$94
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgrand milantrain stationlake comogreat hotelbusiness hotelunderground parkingmodern hotelbusiness trippastriesrooms are cleanbreakfast was excellentmin walkgreat varietystayed here for one nightrooms are bighot and cold foodmini kitchen
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed here en route to France and it was a wonderful experience. Staff are friendly and professional and we were impressed from check-in to check-out. Parking was safe and secure and the rooms were clean, non-smoking, large enough and very well appointed. Bathrooms were lovely. We arrived late and we were tired so we ordered room service. It was prompt and delicious. Breakfast was excellent although we didn't notice that they had table service for the good coffee until after we had already gotten ours from the Nescafe machine. No big deal. We like the town of Saronno so we see a another stay here in our future!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Second stay at this hotel - my hotel of choice when visiting Milan.

Fast checkin, fast checkout, staff can't do enough for you whilst you are there, and everything works - what more can you ask.

Saronno isn't the most captivating of areas but the station is very close so you can do Como or Milan very easily.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed in this Star Hotel for 2 nights, while the Hotel was ok it was in an area that wasnt the best after dark. The staff were very helpfull (Especially Frederica) and everything was clean & comfortable. There is a bus link to inner city Milan on the main road outside the hotel and local shops very close

Room Tip: The higher the better to avoid road noise
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2013

First visit for an overnight on business. I flew into Malpensa and was picked up from there so cannot comment on the train service.

Efficient and friendly check in. Both receptionists had good English - thank you.
Room nicely appointed - comfortable beds, nice furniture, good size desk, well appointed bathroom including freeheld magnifying mirror as a nice touch. Spotlessly clean. Views uninspiring and windows high up, however, I really do recommend the quality of the rooms.

Bar just off reception gave excellent service and fresh bar snacks for lunch. I enjoyed that. Again, excellent English - thank you.

Room service was delivered absolutely on time and as ordered - including lovely fresh fruit salad. Very well presented. Only an additional 'delivery' charge of 5 euros applied, which is very encouraging.

Frustrations:

Very small TV - could hardly read it from the bed and since it does not swivel, awkward to watch from the side chairs. Also, fiddly system to move and select options. I appreciate people on holiday may not want to watch it, but on business, it can be a good distraction when travelling on your own.

The films were good and they offer Pause facility. Film prices good for hotel charges, however, there is no mention that I could see every time you pause and re-start you are charged 5 euros! I paused and re-started twice! They need to have clear information on that in the rooms.

No instructions in the room about internet/wifi connection. I had to go to reception to be shown a convoluted process with awkward log in and password codes. Even there, it did not work and the receptionist had to print off the details at reception and give me to. Remember to write them down because I was disconnected several times and had to re-enter the information. 6 euros per day.
When it works it is good. As a business user of the hotel, it is unnecessarily complicated and time consuming to organise. And no information in the room to advise. Perhaps a clear instruction sheet would help?

Door key stopped working. It was suggested that my iphone had affected it - so keep your door key and phone apart. So, again, down to reception to get it changed.

Taxis. Normally hotels have an arrangement with local taxi firm for priority. After 20 minutes and several attempts with 3 or 4 taxi firms no taxi. We were advised to walk to the train station and get one there - which we did. No taxis turned up for a long time. by then we were almost an hour late for a business dinner reservation. One of the guests had to leave to come and get us. Completely unacceptable for a hotel of this standard. I have never experienced that in many years of business travel.

We had a meeting room booked. 2 mid-sized small bottles of water for 3 people. No sweets. We had to leave the room to go to order coffee. No obvious way to order anything. The business centre / area is quite sterile in colour and it is not easily signposted to find the toilets which were a bit away from our meeting room. We did appreciate that our logo had been used on direction stands to direct us to the room. Attention to detail is missing - as if they have little or no understanding of a good business conference/meeting service. I would be hesitant to recommend a conference there for that reason - or it would be necessary to be clear in fine details what is required.

So, yes, it is worth staying there and there were many travellers on holiday. It is close to train to Milan and Lake Como.

I think it would be friendly if you stayed regularly on business and you got used to the foibles and understood the unwritten pitfalls. For a first time, it is frutrating and time-wasting to get things sorted out - unnecessarily so.

I would like to thank the receptionist (and I am so sorry I do not know her name) who worked to resolve all the niggles, spoke English all the time with me and tried so hard to get us a taxi.

Try it - be aware of the niggles and they may not seem so bad. Overall a lovely hotel.

If staying try the Cantina Manuela in Avenue Furla I think. - inside and garden restaurant. Lovely!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Firewalker50
Reviewed June 16, 2013

It had everything we needed for our stay in Milan, easy access to the train which had direct links to the malpensa airport (20min) and central Milan (25min). A supermarket and nice pizzeria close by. Our main reason for visiting Milan was for my husband to attend the Fair, the hotel had a shuttle direct to the fair and back which was great Overall it is a nice modern hotel with all facilities you expect of a hotel of this level.

A general comment about location. We went to central Milan most nights, so it was a little further to get there and back again and we had to be careful not to miss the last train home, but we new this was the situation when booking the hotel, we just had to factor it into our plans.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business