“Truly gorgeous”
Review of Banyan Tree Ringha

Banyan Tree Ringha
Ranked #1 of 178 Hotels in Shangri-La County
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We had a wonderful stay here, our rooms were ready and were already warm when we arrived which we appreciated. The suites are unique, old traditional buildings complete with private courtyards.They are very comfortable with a huge low bed and living area upstairs and bathroom and dressing area downstairs.There is emergency lighting too for the not infrequent power cuts that occur.
The views over the river and valley were endlessly fascinating, so quiet, only the sound of dzo bells and sheep. Always something to see. it was good to sit out in the rocking chair in the sunshine. As it was cold at night, we appreciated the warm local style coat provided to go to meals in.Turn down was always unobtrusively done while we were at dinner, we came back to lovely warm heated beds each night.
The restaurant was very good, Bob who is in charge speaks excellent English, and runs a tight ship there. He was happy to explain each dish, even alter portion sizes, and advise on how hot a dish would be for Western palates! He remembered our preferences each evening.
The whole hotel is obviously well managed and it shows.No easy task in an isolated high altitude valley.
The access road is not in good condition and this can be a bit of a problem. Patience is required going in and out of the village, but progress is being made.
A thoroughly enjoyable stay, we were really sorry to leave after 3 nights ,would have loved another day just to enjoy the hotel and surrounding countryside. A very special place.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Mario P, Manager at Banyan Tree Ringha, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2014

Dear Llewellynroger,
Greetings from Banyan Tree Ringha Tibet!

From all the team we would like to thank you for taking time to write your experience while staying with. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed the tranquil remoteness of Ringha and the local Tibetan culture. We are very excited to welcome you back in near future, to only continue extending our warm services. Do let us know if you are interested to experience other Banyan Tree and Angsana Hotels in different country, as can assist in communicate to our sister brands on your preferences and desires while exploring our unique Hotels & Resorts.

We look forward to your return to the Lost Horizon in the near future

Reviewed May 5, 2014

What a wonderful place to stay, completely unique in our experience. Our little Tibetan house was gorgeous, so cosy and beautiful, so much care has been taken with the renovation, furnishing and décor of these old houses. A perfect combination of traditional Tibetan and five star luxury. The food was excellent which was just as well as there is absolutely no where else to eat nearby and as others have pointed out the access road is under construction and doesn't look like it is going to be finished any time soon. The dinner menu had a good choice of many different types of dishes - the BBQ yak skewers were delicious! Gorgeous freshly made rolls at dinner, but breads at breakfast not good. They seem to keep them in a warmer which dries them out. We enjoyed the Yunnan red wine as well. The location is so peaceful and rural, just looking out on the river in the soft valley with yaks, dzos and sheep grazing. Very special place.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Myrtle Wiltshire,
Greetings from Banyan Tree Ringha Tibet!

We look forward to your return to the Lost Horizon in the near future.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

If you look for a a hide away with first class service in China, this is definetely the place to come and to be. Escaping from a lively City life in Beijing this feels like heaven: a hotel village composed of local looking villas, embedded in the community and supporting the local community with a lot of authentic and charming details. Starting from the very warm welcome over a tibetan style yurte to even localized spa packages. The local staff is very open and friendly and makes the impossible possible. Breakfast and Dinner show a very nice variety of food with a regional touch. One would not expect such a pearl after the travel over a very bumpy sandy way, which our driver managed very well. I would always return here to clear my mind and endulge my body in the spa.

Room Tip: Take a Villa with view to the River and the Mountains.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Hgrams,

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Great hotel with wonderful service and staff eager to help. The spa treatments are a must as well as the hot pot. Stayed for 2 nights and wished we had stayed longer. Road to hotel is an adventure and quit a bit bumpy but that should not deter one from staying there. Great views of the mountains, authentic Tibetans style house (villa), spacious and very comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear SunnySAN223,

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Very similar of Aman Fa Yuen Hangzhou, this Banyan Tree is built as part of the local village, with individual lodges built as farm houses. I have stayed in Banyan Tree in other parts of China such as their 'sister' Banyan Tree LiJiang and other parts of the world, this Banyan Tree is very different... very unpretentious. The hotel compound is located at the end of a village by the river side, in a very natural setting. Local villagers run their sheep and cattle past the hotel very morning and in fact some of sheep even went into my courtyard one morning feeding themselves with the grass in the courtyard... what a view!!!
Hotel staff, is very nice and friendly. They try their best to help and accommodate. The English is limited as they are most local villagers recruited to work there. What could you except !!!! I speak Putonghua though so I don't have a problem.
I have read about other reviewers complaining about the road leading to the hotel and the lackl of food choice and amenities, but this is part of the life and experience staying in a village setting. Yes , I agree that the food choice is limited but I find it adequate for my 4 day-stay.
I stayed in a Spa lodge this April and the lodge is huge by any standard. The only dis-benefit of having such a large space is heating it up in the cold evening, because there have been interruptions of electricity supplies two late afternoons when I have to call services to fix the heating. This hotel depends on local electricity from the village and it's taxing to heat all these huge lodges in the late afternoon and evening when temperature could drop below zero. The hotel provides electricity blankets and portable heating as stand-by though.
As the hotel is built as part of the local village, there is no amenities such as pools and gym though. I guess the purpose of coming to this hotel is to enjoy the nature and thus the lack of such facilities does not bother me. I just stayed in the terrace every afternoon coming back from my local trips, sipping my tea and enjoying the view from my room.
The local is located at 3300m, so do prepare for altitude sickness and do not attempt too many activities the day you arrive.
Do ask for lodge at the 2 row which is on the upper part of the valley where you will have the best view over the river village and other part of the village. The view from row of lodges by the river side is more restrictive. The 3rd row of lodges behind the spa has no river view, just a view over the village
Do try the spa which is very good, usual Banya Tree standard. I tried the hot stone massage which is very relaxing after a long day walk and it warms you up in the cold evening, rejuvenate you for the rest of the evening.
If you like being with the nature, this is the hotel you have to stay. Banya Tree Ringha is very similar to Aman FaYuen in Hangzhou, but it's only a fraction of the price of Aman in Hangzhou. The huge Spa lodge in off-peak seasons is a little under US$300. This is real value for money.

Room Tip: Do ask for villas at the 2nd row which is at the upper part of the valley.. i.e Village 201- 209. I...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

The hotel villa is very well decorated, with the bedroom and living room upstairs, bathroom and toilets downstairs. Nice view of the mountain and forest from the balcony.
Stuff is very helpful and eager to help you.
Restaurant's food is good, the Tibetan hotpot is a must try.
Surrounding of the hotel is the minus for me as the village and road near the hotel seem to be under construction. It is still winter so the grass and flowers are not there yet, it must be way prettier in spring and summer. There animals walking around the hotel which is nice to see.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Valuable Guest,

Greetings from Banyan Tree Ringha Tibet.

From all the team we would like to thank you for taking time to write your experience while staying with us. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed the tranquil remoteness of Ringha and the local Tibetan culture. We are very excited to welcome you back in near future, to only continue extending our warm services. We do apologize regarding the road being under construction which is due to local government helping the local Tibetan villagers to improve the road conditions, which is almost completed now. Do let us know if you are interested to experience other Banyan Tree’s in different countries, as we can assist in communicating to our sister brands on your preferences and desires while exploring our unique Hotels & Resorts.

Warm regards

Banyan Tree Hotels & Resort Management

Reviewed February 22, 2014

A perfect vacation for getting away from it all! Gorgeous walks through the countryside across fields, over hills, across streams, by more pigs, sheep and yaks than people. All to return to an incredible massage, delicious dinner and a luxurious, unique, warm, comfortable, they-thought-of-everything room. I wanted a peaceful place where I could see something unique/different yet be comfortable and stress-free. Found it and so much more.

Delights (room): the room is more luxurious and comfortable than the pictures. I was there in January and the room was toasty, heaters in every corner, heavy curtains, electric blankets, heat lamps by the shower and tub, heated towel racks, bathrobes and traditional Tibetan style house coats, and even humidifiers to manage the dryness all this heat can create. The room was so beautiful in all the details: fresh fruit every day, incense and aromatherapy, traditional decorations that were constant reminders I was somewhere new and different. Despite the fact I could look out the front door and feel I was in the middle of nowhere, I had internet access, plenty of hot water, reliable a bed/shower and room so comfortable I was reluctant to leave. Some will read this and think of course it has these things, it is a five-star hotel but it's the first five-star I've stayed in with sheep roaming the grounds (they weren't supposed to be there but the space is so open it is hard to keep them out all the time and the sheep ma-aas and the occasional yak bell were the only sounds I heard at all on the property. When they were occasionally caught on the property they would be shooed away and quickly cleaned up after).

I was there by myself as a sort of retreat/destination spa vacation but the room was incredibly romantic. I can't wait to return with my husband. It also seemed a very suitable arrangement for a family looking to spend some time together without the distractions of modern life (which were available but optional). For me, my days started with a leisurely breakfast -- lots of choices, delicious, attentive staff and then out the door. If you want a nice loop: go around the Tibetan Buddhist tower by the front gate, down the small hill, across the wooden footbridge, head right through the fields, to the first village/cluster of Tibetan-style homes, walk through the first village and then the second (just stay on the road; the hotel is on hill so you can always see it if you get disoriented by all the cool stuff around you), to the paved road, make a right and head back towards the hotel, when you come to the fork in the road, left will take you to the local temple just renovated, really cute, right will take you back to the hotel. At a leisurely pace stopping lots of time to take pictures it will take you about 3 hours (including the temple). You can shorten it by heading back the way you came at any time, you can lengthen it by by going left when you get to the paved road and following the road past the local kindergarten and down past more pastures. A lot of the staff would downplay my praise of the beautiful countryside saying it is much more beautiful when everything is green in the summer but I don't know if the same walk would be possible when they are growing stuff in the fields....For me, being away from the crowds and the noise and coming across breathtaking vistas every few minutes was plenty gorgeous even in the winter.

After my walk I'd go to the spa. Everything was in keeping with the local area and the hotel's mission of sustainable development. All the treatments included natural treatments and traditional therapies in a gorgeous setting. And the staff was amazing. They were very professional, very polite, very effective, very accomodating, and just delightful. Again, I was in awe of hotel's ability to be in the middle of the Chinese countryside and provide treatments of the caliber of five star destination spas I've visited in the US. Actually, the nature of living in a traditional home, having the massages and treatments provided in such a traditional setting in the middle of farmland added a level of feeling at home that the more sterile spas in the US lacked. When I closed my eyes I could have been in New York or Arizona getting a treatment but then I'd open them and I would be feeling relaxed and at home in a Tibetan farmhouse.

To address some of the comments I read about the place before I went:
Comment: It is cold: I never felt cold. The room was warm and because I read so much about it being cold I actually spent the first few days feeling too warm because I was afraid to adjust the thermostat for fear of becoming cold. Realizing that was silly, I took control of situation and was very comfortable! I kept the upstairs warmer than the downstairs because in such natural beauty I felt uncomfortable wasting energy but between the heat lamps, heated towel racks, housecoats, and bathrobes didn't feel cold anywhere.

Comment: The bed is upstairs, the bathroom is downstairs: I agree with a previous reviewer on this one. The pictures and room diagrams the hotel posts on its site accurately reflect the room. The extra steps may be inconvenient for some but the feeling of living in such a unique part of history and tradtion is worth it.

Comment: It it expensive. Yes but worth it. To provide such consistent comfort given the local infrastructure is amazing. To offer a local staff that enhances the traditional atmosphere but is still able to effectively anticipate your needs and communicate in multiple languages requires an investment. I found happy trade-offs. I so enjoyed the spa I only did one of the excursions. My walks in the local area provided more than enough entertainment. I would recommend the monastery but next time I'll probably have the hotel write the name on a card and call a taxi. The hotel's driver was great but I would rather spend the money in the spa.

Comment: The restaurant is the only option. But it is a great option! I was there 6 nights which everyone said was unusual. I'm a picky eater but I had something different, something delicious every night but I could easily have had any number of dishes again and there were some things I wanted to try and will have to try next time. The staff was great. Tom gave me great advice for my hikes and was very attentive. I loved their margaritas and the atmosphere was quiet and relaxing. I didn't like the desserts but I think there was ice cream on the menu too.

Recommendations for changes/disappointments: I had such a wonderful time so this is going to be a little nit-picky but having read a lot of TripAdvisor reviews I feel like I should mention something. So....in such settings I was really hoping for decadent desserts to indulge my sweet tooth (neither of local options were very sweet, one kind of tasted like paper). The hotel does a great job of sustainable/responsible development and it works transparently in most areas but I had a really hard time getting shampoo and soap out of the small-neck containers they provided. I hope you read these complaints and think if that is all she has to complain about after 6 days there it must be a pretty amazing place.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank SophyLu

Dear Valuable Guest,

Greetings from Banyan Tree Ringha Tibet.

From all the team we would like to thank you for taking time to write your experience while staying with us. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed the tranquil remoteness of Ringha and the local Tibetan culture. We are very excited to welcome you back in near future, to only continue extending our warm services. Do let us know if you are interested to experience other Banyan Tree’s in different countries, as we can assist in communicating to our sister brands on your preferences and desires while exploring our unique Hotels & Resorts.

Warm regards