“great photo shoot” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tiger Leaping Gorge (Hutiao Xia)

Tiger Leaping Gorge (Hutiao Xia)
Book In Advance
More Info
$115.00*
and up
Private Highlight of Lijiang Day Trip: One Day Upper Tiger Leaping Gorge Tour...
london
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“great photo shoot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Deep ravine, lots of good photo shots, loads of steps down 2700 metres above sea level. We paid 50 yuan for a sedan chair to carry us back up. Well worth every penny

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Vietnamese first
Salisbury
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“The Yangtse's First Bend to the North”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

We visited the gorge on a day trip from Lijiang (you can also include it as a stop on the way of Shangri-La). There is a hiker's trail high up on the left back on the river that takes at least a day to complete but we opted to make our shorter visit on the paved path on the right bank, which skirts the sheer cliff walls and sometimes burrows through tunnels in the rock. The scenery is spectacular, with the river starting out green, glassy and smooth and bit by bit gathering speed and ferocity as the rapids become stronger. You finally come to the large boulder in the center of the river where, once upon a time, the tiger supposedly leaped (there is a nice bronze tiger statue showing you exactly where the leap happened). By this time the river is roaring and crashing by filling the air with a light mist. At this point you retrace your steps and make your way on to the next destination.

2 Thank Madmonk_13
Moscow, Russia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“It's good to get into the "Chinese outback "”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed at Bruce's chalet in Shuhe .Bruce arranged an early transfer for us to Qiaotou (starting point of walking to TLG) , we had breakfast at Janes ( OK but in future we would push on ) . We headed up for a coffee stop at Naxi guesthouse which looked very clean and gave us very friendly service ( by all accounts a great place to do your first night if you plan a two night trip ) . Pushing on to the 28 turns which on a hot day are not for the faint hearted , the challenging climb however was more than compensated by the increasingly spectacular views of the gorge. We lunched at tea horse ( ok but not as good as Naxi ) and made our night stop at Halfway house . Halfway Is more like 3/4 of the way so with the bulk of the walk done we settled into an evening of beer , good food and great company . Halfway house is by far the most popular place, so ideally to book room for yourself in high season. We didn't but were lucky to get one as we were the first on the trail due to early start. We stayed in clean room with all the facilities inside for 250 yuan. It's more than fine for shower and overnight stay. The last day we dropped down to Tina's guesthouse where you have the option to go to the bottom of the gorge and view the river ( an extra 3 hours ) . Finally we caught a minibus back to Qiaotou , a frightening ride along a twisty road , we are glad to get out alive ! Overall a walk well worth doing , our reco for the future . Start Qiaotou early afternoon , first night at Naxi , second at Halfway guesthouse . To avoid crowds on the trail plan to hit the trail around 9 am. Walk is ok for all who are daring. We saw two Australians in their mid 70s who enjoyed the walk. 28 bends can be covered with the help of donkeys. Trail can be dangerous in the rain because of the road slides and falling rocks, so check weather forecast before you go. Experience definitely worth it!

Visited May 2013
Kuala Lumpur
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 250 helpful votes
“Worth the Trip. Better than the Xingping to Yangdi hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I've done the Jinshanling to Simatai and Xingping to Yangdi Hike in China and recently the TLG hike. I have to say that this would be better than the Xingping and the Yangdi one (but not better than the Great Wall for obvious reasons!). It would better if you were reasonably fit before attempting day 1 as its almost a continuous ascent for about 3-4 hrs. You will see beautiful views of the mountains and down to the river along the hike. I have to say that its not that easy to get to this part of the world (fly into kunming, then into lijiang and then a 2.5 hrs bus trip) but it was completely worth the 'trouble'.

I went solo and I hired a guide. It isnt necessary to hire a guide and there are always people you can follow but not being able to speak Mandarin and being of the anxious type (I get stressed if I dont know exactly where I'm going when I'm on my own) I was kinda happy I got a guide. We knew exactly where were we going and also the signages weren't exactly the clearest. Even the way to the guesthouses arent very clear - Naxi, Halfway, TeaHorse. Also this meant that I knew exactly how long it was till I reached the next stage of the hike. I'm pretty sure some people took the wrong way during the hike as I reached about 1.5 hr earlier than the rest of the big groups. The terrain isnt dangerous except that you need to be careful during the waterfall area as it can be slippery.

Stuttgart, Germany
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“It depends on personal preference”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Tiger leaping gorge:

It depends on personal preference

Cons: everywhere you read about the gorge you get the impression that you start the hike and soon the exhausting 28 bends start. However, the most excruciating part is the 3-4 hours before you reach the bends. It's steep, rocky and totally exposed the scorching heat. For me, the occasional hiker it was a pure nightmare.

Also, The Lonely Planet states that you needn't reserve a hotel on the mountain but times have changed and you will most likely sleep outside in the gorge if you don't have a reservation.

Pros: half way house is beautiful and the atmosphere is great. The hike between Tea horse house and Halfway is incredible and how most of us imagined the hike in the gorge would be like: a narrow path right next to the mountain, passing streams and surrounded by hills and the gorge below. The rest of the way is just red sand and trees - you could literally be hiking anywhere else in the world.

Tips: book your room!
Take loads of water. In the first 5 hours I must have drank at least 5 litres of water.
Suntan lotion. A hat.
Dress light and carry light. Leave your luggage at a hostel and only take enough for one night.
Wear shoes that have a good grip - you'll need it with the many "oh man, if I slip, I'm dead!" paths.

If you're not fit, take a horse up past the 28 bends. It's ridiculously hard and the horse ride is way more exciting. After the bends you can enjoy the hike that's easier and way prettier. It's like the Tiger Leaping Gorge experience only starts after the bends. Everything before is like hiking through hell: dry, warm and painful.

GET A WALKING STICK. Even if it is a bamboo stick you buy for 3RMB from a local. My stick saved my life a few times because there are plenty of unstable downhill paths.

IMPORTANT: I'm not a seasoned hiker and I finished the hike, however 85% of the time I was scared out of my mind. You have to be constantly aware of every step because if you are exhausted, have an accident or fall there is no search and rescue. You are on your own and the gorge hike IS dangerous.

Keep your wits about you, your water bottle close by and be careful.

Visited May 2013