“Noodled legs, but so worth it”

Tiger Leaping Gorge (Hutiao Xia)
Book In Advance
More Info
$115.00*
and up
Private Highlight of Lijiang Day Trip: One Day Upper Tiger Leaping Gorge Tour...
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Logistics:
Unlike most travelers, we trekked in the reverse direction in 2 days, starting from Tina's (55 RMB bus ride from old town hotel). We went down to the "Tiger Leaping Rock" in Mid Gorge (took about 2.5 hours very very steep climb). It's really amazing down there by the water. Then we went up the hills and ended up at Half Way Guest House around 6pm. We took some wrong turns due to the lack of signs in the reverse direction. Slept there for a night and left the GH in the Bridge Head direction. We hiked from 10:30am until 5:15pm including short breaks and one lunch break at the Naxi Guest House. Because we missed the small bus back to LiJiang Old town at 4pm, we hopped on one of the large buses commuting from Shangrila to Lijiang. Same fee of 35 RMB and got us back to the bus depot 10 min walk away from the South Western side of old town Lijiang. The journey took about 2 hours.

Experiences:
The highlights of the hike for me were (1). Mid Gorge Tiger Leaping Rock. Breath-taking view and only in non-rainy season. In the rainy season, the river rises 20+ meters and turn completely muddy. Now it's green and clear. There is a 10 RMB charge for using the "sky ladder" and 10 RMB charge for the bridge to the rock. The locals built and maintain them, well worth your money for the experience these facilities provide.(2). Village right before Half Way, coming from Tina's. We experienced the daily routine of locals there, goat and horse herders. Fantastic experience sharing the trail with a pack of horses all the back to the village. Gorgeous.

Tips:
(1). talk to the locals and ask about their lives if you are ok with speaking Mandarin, trust me it'll add to your experience of the region
(2). bring sun screen!!! or cover up with hats (don't forget your neck)
(3). you'll have to do laundry after the trip, very dusty in the dry season
(4). travel light, for inexperienced hikers like myself (i'm healthy but do not hike normally) hiking 2 days with large backpacks will really make it taxing physically.

Special thanks:
Garden Inn: north side of old town. Everything is perfect here. Also met many friends here. The energy is fantastic.

4  Thank Kingston D

Reviewed March 8, 2013

a spectacular site with incredible views and inns. clean as can be. goood food and alway nice views. i was 70 and my 2 friends 74 we had no problems hiking as we did thrugh a lot of yunan county. if you are in good shape, not superman, you can enjoy it a lot ,gerta2@juno.com also shangri-la is a must place to visit and dance with the natives every evening at 7 pm at the "old town square" super fun.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Difficult sometimes to find the right directions, especially at the beginning. Overlooking the gorges will make you forget the pains.. A few stops on the way to get drinks. The 28 bends are not dangerous but just exhausting.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was one of the best treks I've done - its epic from start to finish and not to be missed. We did the high trail (I believe the low trail is mainly road and not as good) and the first part was a bit tough. Once you've conquered the so called 28 bends (there is more if you include the bends you walk up before the starting hut) its easy going. We strolled it really and this is evidenced by the hundreds of photos we took. I recommend you stay at the HalfWay Guest House en route and stop to absorb the views. Also...haha...to steal a quote written on the wall there "I came, I saw, I [--] with a view"! The TLG stone is at the mid point or the end point of the 2 day trek and is probably the most dangerous part. Its very steep walking, and some of it is scrambling so a foot wrong could be disastrous. Take note that to get down to the stone you have to pay a small fee again (on top of the fee to enter the gorge) approx 10 yuan. It helps pay the family who maintain the path.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

3 of my party we carried down to the gorge and then carried back up, must say the guys there,even the old ones are strong. we overpaid as my friend didn't negotiate well,we pad RMB160 per person,we found out later it was RMB100. as for the gorge,it was windy and cold in Dec but the site was amazing,all the water rushing thru the narrow gap with the big boulder.