“Worth To Take the 500+ Stairs”

Tiger Leaping Gorge (Hutiao Xia)
Book In Advance
More Info
$115.00*
and up
Private Highlight of Lijiang Day Trip: One Day Upper Tiger Leaping Gorge Tour...
Shanghai, China
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Worth To Take the 500+ Stairs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

We did not do any hiking there but were on the way to Shangri La. We stopped by at the gorge and had to tackle some 500+ stairs to go all the way down to the bottom of the valley to see the millions of tons of water pounding at the rocks where there was a narrow stretch of water in the bottom of the valley. It was not easy to walk back up but it is definitely worth the while. They have "carriages" to take you down or back up at RMB 100 per person. Do go down there if you are fit to tackle 1,100 stairs!

Visited November 2012

22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Outstanding natural beauty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We spent three days at the gorge, having got a bus to the bottom from Shangri La. We left our big packs at a guesthouse at the bottom, and then began the trek along the High Trail armed with the hand drawn maps (warning - not to scale!). It took us about 2.5-3 hours to reach the first guesthouse of the trail, where we had a much needed lunch! We then set off for the hardest part of the trail - the 28 bends. There's no need to explain this, but I can tell you it was one of the most demanding treks we did during our time in Asia! There was a little viewpoint on the top that we paid to access (basically just a rock promontory guarded by two locals), which had vertigo inducing views up and down the gorge. The views the whole way were spectacular, and it was a glorious surprise to look out at our surroundings after having focussed intently on our feet when climbing! The trek only took us about 1.5 days, but the distances on the maps are not accurate, so plan accordingly!

Visited April 2012
London
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Stunning scenery, impressive views and a cracking experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I headed to the Tiger Leaping Gorge in April, on the recommendation of friends that had visited in the Summer.

They had told me of the breath-taking scenery, great places to stay and eat and general awesome experience of trekking the trail. I was not disappointed. In the summer my friends had suffered a bit from insect bites, but in April I wasn't bitten once, not sure if that was luck or season but it was good news!

I set out from my hostel alone, but got talking to a German couple and a Dutch girl on the bus to the start of the trail, and walked with them. It was a great experience, and allowed me to make friends in a slightly different manner, and I was glad to have people I could chat to around me at some of the slightly more hair-raising moments (taking the 'Sky-Ladder' trail with a fear of heights wasn't my best idea...)

Our route began at Qiautou, and in the first day we headed as far as the Halfway Guesthouse, which was fantastic. We ate lunch at the Naxi Family guesthouse, which I'd definitely recommend as the food was fantastic and great value (as everything was for my trip).

Halfway was a great distance to stop, as we got there around 4pm, so had time to relax on the 'Inspiration Terrace' with the sun still out, enjoy the views from the toilets (You'll see what I mean) and played some cards etc. before hitting the hay.

The next day we carried on to Tina's, but as I had a train to catch to Guilin that night, we decided to go down to the Tiger Leaping rock and back up, rather than heading on to Woody G.H.

To go down to the rock, we used a route that I'm not sure is the common one. We left most of our baggage at Tina's, then went along the road past the guesthouse, over the big bridge, then a little further on the right followed signs for the 'Sky Ladder' route. This lead us down a quite steep path, with an 8ft ladder calming my nerves about what exactly the 'sky ladder' was.

Turns out this relief was premature, as a little further along we came to the real 'Sky Ladder' - a 50ft contraption made of several ladders welded together. There was an alternative route in case you didn't feel like it, and only the German guy and I decided to tackle the ladder, and I'm glad I did it, but to say I wasn't terrified would be a huge lie.

We followed the rest of the trail down to the rock, went along the river back upstream and came followed our way back to Tina's without going back on ourselves.

All in all, a fantastic experience, and well worth it!

Visited April 2012
2 Thank MCuzner
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Beautiful scenery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We walked from Tina's guest house to the mid way guest house, Tea horse guest house, Naxi family guest house and Quiatou. The meals were delicous. Our stay in the Tea house guest house was really nice and the view of the snow mountain was breath taking. The 2 1/2 day trek was definitely worth it. You dont need to carry anything except water and sun block. We did the trek in October. It was a relatively easy walk except for the altitude (we are from the coast - sea level)

Visited October 2012
Hong Kong, China
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Go see it and feel the power of the Yangtze!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Great scenery and fantastic experience being close to the river. You can feel the energy of the river no doubt!

Visited October 2012