All reviews guest house hot water tiger leaping gorge rustic charm great terrace dumplings yak cheese guesthouse trek lijiang stone bathtub mattresses development honey region toilets
Selected filters
Reviewed August 27, 2015

A fitting end to a cracking trek. Well worth the extra 2.5 km gently downhill from Tina's Guest House. Tina's is regarded as the point of reference in Middle Gorge Village: reliable travel info, ice-cold Tsingtao, kicking views from the bar restaurant, but a bit lacking in character otherwise.

Not sure whether to describe Sean as old school - too quirky for that - but he's one of the originals. Was offered a comfortable gorgeous view room with a teddy for Y40 instead of Y80 as long as I didn't rumple the other bed nor molest the other teddy who was resident thereon. Charming patio and a pleasant book-filled restaurant/common area. Occasional alternatives to noodles or rice tend to be burgers or pizzas, so the tasty burrito was most welcome.

Felt he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder with the cheap competition of hostels in the gorge; maybe he has a point, but that's life.

Only slight complaint was that they seemed very dozy in the morning, when I wanted to shoot the crow: it took an age to check out.

Minibuses pass to take one back to Qiaotou for Y20, where I'd left my big rucksack at Jane's. Hitching also poss. From there, connections to both Lijiang and Shangri-La.

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 22, 2015 via mobile

We arrived there shortly before sunset after an exhausting but adventurous day of hiking the tiger leaping gorge high trail.

The staff was friendly, the food was good and some of it authentic Tibetan (as far as I can judge).

It's a comfortable accommodation for a fair price..

Also we had a nice chat with the guest house owner. Definitely worth the extra mile.

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed July 10, 2015 via mobile

I'll start at the end of my stay as this is the most important part regarding single female travelers! I spoke with the owner Sean for about 20mins about Chinese politics/policies etc as I am an expat living in Shanghai, it was a fairly standard conversation, I found him totally disinterested in helping me in further conversations involving planning my hikes/ongoing travel and he simply pointed at a trail that was totally over grown, steep and unmarked and therefore totally inappropriate for someone walking alone. Anyway the morning after I got up at 9am, he had left on a hike with another group and I noticed he had emailed me at 6am, he had my email address from my booking request, It said that 'he wanted to have sex with me and that I could stay in the ensuite room with him that night!' I was beyond furious, we had had no connection, he is double my age and he was taking advantage of a vulnerable female traveling alone. Needless to stay I checked out but a part of me was desperate to confront him on his disgraceful behavior in front of other guests and his family as he really ruined my memories of a beautiful place.

In addition to this the entire stay was a mockery, I arrived and they had no recollection of my booking despite having just picked me up at Tina's as agreed! The girl wanted to know what room I had booked, I said I couldn't remember but a 'cheap one' so she said she would show me the 2 options, One was ¥240 one was ¥380.. I was confused as I knew that all my accommodation for this trip was less that ¥100 per night. I told her this and she shrugged and it wasn't until I said I'd have to go elsewhere that she agreed to take me to the perfectly fine and totally empty non ensuite rooms. She claimed they were ¥100, I reluctantly agreed to pay even though the amount was unfamiliar, Later I connected to wifi and discovered my email booking had clearly been for a ¥60 room and upon checking Sean's website there was a picture of the exact room I was given for ¥60. I was so upset that I had been scammed when I had taken so much time to plan my trip. In addition the food was average but expensive and the place was in need of TLC.

I think Sean has lost his enthusiasm for his guest house and is out to get as much money and anything else out of his guests which really made me feel uncomfortable and sad.

When I met with other fellow travelers who were also traveling on their own on the bus back they had made lots of friends and seen great sites by getting off at the first gorge stop, they had then hiked up the gorge in small groups by following the clear trail signs and then stayed at the hostel at the top of the middle gorge and then hiked down to Tina's in time for the bus the day after. I was quite jealous of them after my experience!

Date of stay: July 2015
7  Thank 381gemmaf
Reviewed May 21, 2015 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in Sean's for a night on our trip back from tiger leaping gorge. It's a convenient location to trek to from the middle leaking gorge on the trail that goes along the river ( to the right from the gorge). The trail is beautiful and passes cozy walnut garden village.
Sean's family hospitality is exceptional compared to everything else we've seen in China. We got our laundry done in one evening. The food was so exceptional that the morning we were leaving we didn't go for a hike but just stayed on the terrace overlooking the mountains enjoying the food (vegetable and cheese dumplings are delicious).

Date of stay: May 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2015 via mobile

We spent one night last week while we toured the Tiger Leap Gorge. Scenery is stunning and the guesthouse is by the side of the road, facing the heroic and insurmountable gorge. Air is fresh and it's so close to nature. The lady staffs are helpful and the food they cook is above average. The room is simple with basic furniture. We are a group of friends and families occupying 7 rooms. Some friends complain about the mattress which is worn out. Hot water for shower is available but is really boiling; and it's very hard to adjust to the right temperature. The real nightmare came at night. There were 30 odd Uruguay tourists staying and that night they turned the lobby into a disco, playing loud dance music and shouting. We complaint to the owner at 12 MN and I can echo other comments that he is moody. Not only was he unhelpful, he threw temper tantrum at us. We complaint to the Uruguayians but they just ignored us. They promised to stop in 10 minutes but after many many 10 minutes they were still partying without consideration of other clients. Imagine your room is just above a disco. It was at 2 am when the owner's wife, who's a traditional local Chinese, switched off the mains, then could we fall asleep.

Date of stay: April 2015