All reviews guest house hot water tiger leaping gorge rustic charm great terrace dumplings yak cheese guesthouse trek lijiang stone bathtub mattresses development honey region toilets
Selected filters
Reviewed April 3, 2015

I was surprised to read all the comments about Sean's surly disposition, perhaps my experience was tempered by Rosey, my amazing hiking guide & Sean's daughter, who did all the communication for me. So I never really had to communicate with the proprietors. You can book Rosey's services by searching Country Cafe Tours on Trip A. She is a guide for the Kunming, Dali, Lijiang & Shangri-La areas and speaks great English and is super friendly.

If you are able do to ~9hrs of hiking on the first day, Sean's guesthouse is a lovely culmination to the day. Nice cosy courtyard, I was hiking solo so paid 40 yuan for single bed, shared bathroom. My only complaint was the room had no curtains!! But the bathrooms had proper sit-down toilets - hallelujah !

Food was hearty , reasonable but coffee was pricey 28 yuan for Yunnan coffee. This little village is surrounded by a Walnut plantation. You can buy a 300g bag of walnuts for 60 yuan.

From Sean's guesthouse, it is an easy walk down to Middle Leaping Gorge. One has to pay a couple more token fees 10 yuan to access a bit carved out of stone and 10 yuan for the rope bridge (optional) and 15 yuan on your ascent back to the main road. Sean's guesthouse can organise the bus to take you back to Lijiang.

Date of stay: March 2015
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed March 16, 2015 via mobile

We stayed at Sean's for one night after crossing the gorge. The place itself is quite nice with a pleasant courtyard and good rooms. Also the food was a bit pricey but tasted good.
However the encounter with the owner Sean was not that pleasant. We asked him about options to do a hike to nearby Habba. But he replied in a very moody and grumpy way seemingly unwilling to deal with us at all. We found this behavior very unprofessional for someone making his money in the hospitality business.
To be fair it should be noted that his mood was a lot better the next day.
Still we didn't feel very welcome and wouldn't recommend this place.

Date of stay: March 2015
1  Thank PatrickH4071
Reviewed February 8, 2015 via mobile

The place is surrounded by beautiful trees and a great terrace with nice views. The rooms are ok, not very big but clean. The beds are not the best. During our stay we were the only people in the guesthouse which made it even more relaxing to stay here. You can also get a good meal here.

Date of stay: December 2014
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Machapuchare01
Reviewed December 21, 2014

We were so looking forward to staying here after reading so much about Sean on the internet. Frankly, it turned out to be a major let-down! A place which has seen better days, the rooms were basic but heated and there was adequate hot water. Wifi was available in the restaurant. There was a small terrace/garden fronting the gorge. We did not expect much from this place but as far as hospitality is concerned, this place has none. We were the only guests the first night we stayed there. We arrived at dinner time and were famished. We ordered our meal but they served our driver and guide first and we were left to wait a full hour before our meal was ready. I thought it was an oversight on their part and thought no more of it. We left our begs behind the next day and left for our hike of Tiger Leaping Gorge. On our return the next day, we were in time for lunch. We ordered our meal but ...once again the helper and Sean's wife sat down together with our driver and guide for their lunch while we sat like idiots waiting to be served! Our meal came an hour later! If that wasn't enough, we had to stay a second time when we returned a few days later from Shangri-la. There were no expectations this time around and we ordered our meal then went for a shower first. Needless to say, the family and our guide had their pipping hot meal first! So it wasn't an oversight but the norm to serve guests last! No apologies either.

We met Sean on our first night. He was friendly enough but the running of the guesthouse was left to his helper and his wife. It is shocking to us that they seem to be clueless as to how to run a service seeing as this place has been around for so long.

We regret our stay here and will not return. No service and no hospitality with pricey bland food. No recommendations here.

Date of stay: December 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank nellielim
Reviewed October 7, 2014

I made a reservation at HostelWorld to stay at Sean's for 1 night at Sean's, but I had a problem and couldn't go; I wrote Sean an e-mail kindly asking if I could cancel my reservation since I wasn't able to go and he wrote me the rudest email ever! I would never recommend his place/service to anyone! If you work with hospitality the least you should do is know how to treat your customers. Bad, bad, bad experience!

Date of stay: October 2014