Tavern 47
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Lefu Hotel (Norfolk)(Shangri-La County)
View Hotel
Ge Sang Garden Inn(Shangri-La County)
  • Restaurant
Holy Lotus Hotel(Shangri-La County)
  • Breakfast included
Shambala Ranch Hotel(Shangri-La County)
View Hotel
Xiang Ba La Hotel(Shangri-La County)
Lefugedan Hotel(Shangri-La County)
View Hotel
Tancheng Business Hotel(Shangri-La County)
View Hotel
Shangri-La Lancy Centre(Shangri-La County)
  • Breakfast included
Sifangke Hotel(Shangri-La County)
View Hotel
All reviewsyak burgerthe ownercozy hostelold townwood stovetibetan styleconstruction workwould definitely stay here againcommon roomprivate roomtiger leaping gorgekoreanshangrilachinatoiletslaundrytrek
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Great hosts, Jun and his wife make you really feel at home. They provide for a laid back atmosphere where it's easy to meet people and more often than not you end up sitting with Jun and a couple of guests chatting and having some beers. I enjoyed the breakfast, they offer a nice choice, my favourite was the Tibetean porridge with yark milk and local honey, an excellent start into the day.
Just make sure to book ahead as this place isn't too big and often is fully booked.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank thomas9990
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed here 2 nights, and enjoyed it very much.
The owners, June and his family, were very kind and honest. When I first emailed them and asked for a quiet room - they said that unfortunately their house is not so quiet, and proposed that I cancel my reservation. I didn't cancel, and I am glad for that.
The room I received was beautifully decorated, and also realtively quiet (despite the forewarning). The only problem is that there's no heating, except for an electric blanket.
The house is located in a side-ally inside the old town. From the airport / bus station you need to take a taxi to the parking lot in front of the old town, and from there to walk about 10-15 minutes by foot. it's a little hard to expain exactly how to arrive, you should better call first.
They also helped me very much to organize the trek to the tiger leaping gorge, and were eager to answer all my other requests.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank yosef k
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I would recommend this place as the hosts told me that I've overpaid on hostelworld and charged me about 40% lower than the rate stated on my booking form. This kind of honesty is very rare. This coupled with a nice room, location of the place, and the overall atmosphere of the hostel has my overall approval. Its located slightly further away from the main square, which is good as they have nightly dancing at the square. Its also close to chicken temple which is about 20 minute hike from the hostel which offers great views of Shangri-la.

As mentioned before its also a great place to get Korean food if you were in the mood for such. Heard the yak burger is pretty good too. You can get laundry done here for 10Y a load and the hosts are friendly and helpful on tips for getting around Zhongdian.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lavy81
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Great hostel all in all - owners are extremely friendly, helpful and provided good travel advice and tips! The common area was a good place to meet people and exchange travel stories. The hostel is located a minute's walk away from the main square but considerably far from tourist madness. Be sure to also visit the white chicken temple located just up the hill behind the hostel. The 5-bed dorm rooms had 2 super single beds that are super comfy with electric blankets. Breakfast was average but they are in the process of changing their menus and the yak burger with potato rosti is a definite must-try! A suggestion would be to add another stove/burner in the common area! Highly recommend this hostel to anyone visiting Shangrila!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank hobopoh
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We only met the, presumably, wife of Jun who was extremely helpful and friendly and advised us well on things to see and do. The decor was indeed Tibetan in style, simple, homely and very colourful which made a welcome change from other hostels in China.It was in a great location so convenient for everything. We had a double en suite, the bed was huge, comfy and with decent bedding including an electric blanket which is much needed at this time of year. The bathroom was fine, with hot water at all times. Unfortunately because we were downstairs and tucked away in the corner of the building the room was very dark so not a place you would want to be during the day at all (suited us as we were out all the time) but there was also some rot/damp in the timbers in the room which made it smell musty. I really hate to say this but we also heard rats running between our ceiling and the floor above...maybe a seasonal thing and something that can be dealt with.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple