“Would never go back!”

Ranked #27 of 32 Hotels in Amoudara
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Would never go back!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Food was terrible. Hardly any variety. Pasta every day. Pork for approximately 10 days of our holiday. We ate out for several of our 14 nights, costing us even more money. Girl at front of house in restaurant is lovely and showed concern that we didn't like a lot of the food. Getting a drink can be problematic as only one staff member in hotel bar, so a queue built up quickly while she was collecting glasses. Pool barman not in a rush to serve while chatting to others. Not a great choice of drinks either. Although all inclusive, absolutely no entertainment at all. We have done many all inclusives and this was the poorest by far. The street of Amoudara is very quiet. Not a holiday atmosphere at all. Pool is salted and very quiet with most people going to beach not far away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the pool block.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank J R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My partner and I returned from the Marilena two days ago. Here is a summary of our positives and negatives:

Positives:
Helpful staff when approached.
Lots of local amenities - good variety of shops and restaurants in Ammoudara.
Very close to the beach.
Pool is clean and fresh (although sterilised with salt water rather than chlorine.)
Food is good - tasty and a good variety so that there is always something that you want to eat.

Negatives:
Our Air con broke and although it was fixed the following day it was a very hot night!
The Room was very basic - we paid £37 each to upgrade to a "superior" room yet there was nothing superior about what we got. Be wary of this offer!
The shower is TINY! We are both 5"3 and fairly slim but we still struggled!
Get towels on loungers early if you want one for the day (8am).

Other information:
It was very easy to communicate with people as nearly everyone spoke English.
We found that there were lots of rude and chain-smoking guests, which for polite non-smokers we found very frustrating but we managed to ignore it eventually!
The happy train in Ammoudara is a lovely little trip - we would recommend.
Getting to Heraklion is easy - there is a taxi rank outside the hotel. Heraklion is also a lovely town to visit with shops, bars and cultural landmarks to see.
There is also a very helpful tourist office in Ammoudara (15 min walk from the hotel) which will book any excursion for you. We did the Knossos-Lassithi day and saw the Knossos Palace, the "Little Lourdes" monastery and the cave where Zeus was born. It was an excellent (although exhausting) insight into Greek history.

Overall, we had a super holiday! The weather was perfect and we combined relaxing with sightseeing. Our one wish would have been the "superior room" that we were promised!

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank gpb203
Slovenska Bistrica, Slovenia
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My almost half the annual salary is gone, this holiday was a nightmare first blew the rooms than in Siberia, another room with no windows ina male oknienko the door, as a third bedroom so where could breathe balcony we watched the wall, dogs and cats after premavali throughout the resort reception, swimming pool, even in the dining room with no one team did not do anything, I spent one have to eat but two times is the bottom rose pasta and beans that we can not and how many people we went to buy, I was there rises stomach, pool straw, children no play only one table at pinpong, neatly around the field before the 10 - years ago, people horror, offer it at us like **** - hotel, I thought I dream vacation, so no money now and leave with it assumes this holiday our pressing two 679 + fees so € 1750 is a lot of us to experience success gold Slovakia

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank anka m

Travelers are raving about these Amoudara hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Befor I went to crete I reviewed this hotel,and thought what have I done,i took my 10 yr old daughter with me,now after a dredful journey the plane cancelled and waiting from 5:30 in the morning til 14:30 to get there,all I could think was the bad reviews.this is not a brilliant hotel for children as there is no entertainment,we were all inclusive but its set times for breakfast ,lunch,and dinner.breakfast is not great but the bread and cake is lovely.lunch and dinner were fine we always found something to eat,i put 2lb on so must be ok.our room was lovely and cleaned daily.the staff very friendly,the only thing I would say is it was a bit of a deal gretting a drink from the inside bar as only one lady serving at all times,and when she had to take drinks somewhere,you could be standing in a que of at least 10 people,but she was very quick when serving.we wad a lovely week and would have stayed longer,the pool was fine and we always got a sunbed.if I went away again with just my daughter I would stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mandycuff67
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed August 1, 2013

You get a nice and comfortable hotel, a good room, all inclusive good food and drinks (and free bar), nice swimming pool (salt water) and friendly staff. It's not luxurious but it's great. The beach is a 5 minutes away walk. Center of Heraklion is 30 minutes away by bus (2 Euros) or taxi (10 Euros).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank tlsfxx
Cheshire UK
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We've just returned after a weeks stay which my partner booked to celebrate my birthday, so we wanted it to be memorable.
Some of the staff will be remembered forever ... the lovely Soula (dining room manager), what a fabulous, hard-working lady - always a smile, a chat, and willing to please; Eya in the dining room with the most beautiful smile; Anthony ('Trolos' = crazy) at the pool bar with a wicked sense of humour; Alex the porter at reception, a very helpful and charming young man.
The ladies on reception were ever-helpful too!
We were VERY disappointed with the first room we were given (No.70) - dark, gloomy, with a view of a tree right outside the window then unfinished buildings and a shed roof beyond, the 'terrace' was overlooked by three storeys of other rooms and got no sun, and the metal stairs leading up our block of 8 rooms sounded like a blacksmiths shop every time someone came up them! The minute L-shaped bathroom had a tiny sit-in type bath which meant you risked tripping while trying to shower, and the concertina door was something Heath Robinson would have been proud of! Twin beds instead of the requested double which were the most uncomfortable I've ever tried to sleep on.
So ... next morning we requested a room change and were then given a fabulous room (308) on the third floor with a view of the residential part of town, mountains, and the bay ... our holiday started right then! It seems a polite and reasonable approach rather than a loud demand is appreciated. We enjoyed the food, the pool, the town, and talking to the locals who are warm and welcoming if you take the time and trouble to chat. While some of the goods on sale look expensive the shop owners are willing to deal and barter for a discount, and it can be done nicely without it looking like an insult. It's a fairly quiet area and that suited us, the sea is a short walk away with a good beach and facilities, and the few hawkers we saw were not a nuisance.
Back to the hotel itself ... we too experienced the holiday-makers from other countries who don't have our manners, dignity, or values but they behave differently if you stand your ground at the food bars and be vocal in making it clear that their behaviour is unacceptable to you. They don't get angry but they do respond to positive reactions, and it gave us lots to laugh about. I wonder how many of our continental neighbours have had their holidays spoilt by the drunken behaviour of Brits abroad? The influx of a party of 60 kids on a school trip did change the atmosphere - noisy, ignorant, and largely unsupervised they dominated any area they descended on, but looing at the example being set by their guardians you could hardly blame them - and it was their holiday too!
Our next-door-neighbour in 309 goes back to this same hotel regularly and said he would keep coming back - Balliotti, if you read this it was good to meet you - and I can understand why. If I wanted to have all the things I have at home I'd just stay at home, but if I want to experience new places, people, and cultures I'm happy to go with the flow as the budget allows. You don't get 5 star facilities at bargain-basement prices - no worries!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms facing south are quiet and the lift is reliable as long as unsupervised kids aren...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank ShaMakau
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

.....having read the reviews of this hotel...we were not sure what to expect. I have a severe gluten allergy and had packed a case full of food just in case.
From the moment we arrived to the moment we left.....the staff could not have done more to make us comfortable. From the cleaning staff who work EXTREMELY long days, to the reception staff who helped with tours, travel issues and late check out....to Suela in the restaurant who made sure I knew what I could eat and provided food for me if there wasn't anything gluten free.
People have complained bitterly about the food on here.....the hotel is NOT for the egg and chips brigade......but they are catering to a wide range of nationalities......something that should be considered.
My only issue is that diet coke would have been nice......but was readily available from the supermarket next door.

This hotel, and the people in it deserve a lot of credit......we would go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Ask not to be place in a room near 60 Polish students!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Danielle F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amoudara
Hotel Panormo Beach
#10 of 31 in Agia Marina
Hotel Olympic
Hotel Olympic
#23 of 58 in Heraklion

Been to Marilena Hotel? Share your experiences!