“Unprofessional, inadequate and cheeky...”
Review of Georgia Hotel

Georgia Hotel
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Amoudara
Athens, Greece
“Unprofessional, inadequate and cheeky...”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I had booked for 2 nights, for a superior double room to find out upon check-in that due to a serious accident I had to move to another hotel for the 1st night and the 2nd night I would be upgraded to a better room. I agreed without any complaints, to find out that I was relocated to the dirtiest and filthiest hotel ever, none of the facilities that I had on my initial booking confimation were in the room, such as iron, tea & coffee making facilities, mini bar, double bed, pool & beach view. Instead, there were 2 single beds, an empty fridge, a dirty bathroom with a door ready to collapse and no proper wall hangers to put a towel or a clothe. I called the Georgia hotel owner and asked to be given a room of the same level I had booked, as it is worldwidely known that if you fail to accomodate your guest you are OBLIGED to relocate him to a hotel either of the same level or better. He promised though, that a triple room would be free @ his hotel around 18.00 and I could go back there. Packed and moved again, to wait until 19.30 to get a room that still was not what I had booked. You can see the difference between the triple old room and the new double superior room by checking the hotel's official web-site. The next day I was moved again as planned, but not to an upgraded room as promised. It was the room I had booked. Cheeky... On check-out I settled my bill by credit card and when I asked for my receipt the lady tried to convice me that the copy of the credit card slip payment was my receipt. Very cheeky too...When I finally asked her: "don't you give your guests receipts in this hotel when they pay you?" she gave me the invoice book to fill in my details and that's how I got my legal receipt. Not recommended, not advisable, not even slightly proposed. Sorry.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank hydroneta
AmoudaraGeorgia, Manager at Georgia Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
There was a problem with the room for that night and i found the best hotel close of mine , which was 3 stars hotel instant of one star which is Georgia hotel.I make the reservation there pay for that night, after few hours i had a free room for the quests ( a trible room ) , i told them that the room will be check out after 18.00 and i need time to clean the room, this took me an hour, i transfer the quests from the other hotel to mine for the night , next morning i gave them the superior room as i promised ( cheeky !!! ).
Next morning i wasnt there the time of checking out and i speak with my mother and advise her to take their post address and there i will sent the invoice as i always do when im not there, because to small business this is happening , one person does a lot of thinks.
They say we want now the invoice and my mother told them if they want they can complete it because she didnt know how to do it.
Anyway i dont know what cheeky i did i pay more money to other hotel , move them with my car and i was trying to do my best but this was not enough.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

A pretty little hotel not too far from the city center of Heraklion. Two steps away from a neat sandy beach, lively at night, there are two little supermarkets right out of the door, a "tavern" and a bar at the corner of the street. The hotel is also nicely connected to the center by bus, which stop is located right across the main street. The rooms are cosy and very simple. Bathroom a little too small, but clean. Dimitris, the gentle young owner, is a good host and welcomes you with a "welcome cocktail". He's very passionate about it! He speaks a pretty good English and can easily tell you what are the "must to see" locations on the entire island. Knowledgable and friendly, the staff has been nice and reliable. For the very good price we payed I expected much less than what we got. Totally worth it!

Room Tip: If mosquitos like you as they like me, you might want to take some bugs repellent with you. It's...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LilacLMNT
AmoudaraGeorgia, Owner at Georgia Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your comment.
Lokeren, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Great place to stay good breakfast en outstanding dinner homemade by mama.
Clean rooms, small but verry nice pool in a green garden.
Perfect place to visit Heraklion from in 20 minutes you're in the center with bus number 1
and return with bus number 6

2 Thank Dirk B
AmoudaraGeorgia, Manager at Georgia Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thanks a lot for your comment.

See you soon again i hope.
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Great location, good breakfast (local greek food too), clean room, beautiful garden.
We are really enjoyed to stay here.
The beach was near to the hotel.
You can go to hotel from Heraklion by bus (number 6 or 1).
The Blu'n'Blum beach is very good, but a little bit noisy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kittcsi
Thank you very much for your comment .

Its very important to me.

Dimitris
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2012

great room, great mangement,close to beach ......Nothing was to much trouble...... good family cooked food .......would return on my next visit to crete .....well positioned in the middle of the island for days out to site see.....

1 Thank David B
Thank you very much for your comment.

Next time we want to hear you singing.

You are a very nice couple.

Dimitris
Iasi
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I don't know why this hotel has such good reviews, I had my hopes up after paying for the room 3 mounths in advance.

When I got there I was told there was no room for us (go figure!) were taken at the dirtiest hotel ever had to call the lady representing the agency to straighten thing out for a better room.

The next day we waited until the afternoon for our room wich was way different from the photos you see on the web site.

I did not take pictures to prove it, but the furniture was probably as old as I am. Breakfast was too basic, did not even have juice or anything to drink except milk.

The dinner was tasty, the owners were nice people and it was clean enought but that it simply it.
I've been to Greece many times before and have payed less for a room but it's the worst one I ever got.

Don't recommend it to anyone unless you don't care about the room itself.

3 Thank whisperitza
Dear madam, we are very sorry for your comment.

We dont say that we are good , we are trying to be always better and also to provide better stantars for our quests, sometimes this is enough some other times it is not.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The good part: Even though it is neither close to the port or the airport, it is just one block away from the beach. The area where it is located is quiet. Only a one block walk to the bus stop. They give you a shot of ouzo at the patio as a welcome; then you opt for having dinner at their restaurant. Breakfast was good, just above average among the nine hotels we stayed in during this trip.

On the other hand, they gave us a very ugly and dark room, where everything was old. Everuthing was so tight it was difficult to walk through the room. It was a triple room, yet there was no surface available to put our luggage (three carry-ons). Half of the surface on the dressing table was covered by a big, bulky tv set with very poor, stormy signal. The room didn't have a single window, only a door to a balcony --with a very ugly view-- , but we had no access to it because there was a mosquito net fixed to the door frame. We could not open the drawers and one door of the wardrobe because they were blocked by a night table. The shower area was of four square feet, and you could bump into the sink corner, which was too close. I am posting some pictures; now I realize that unfortunately did not take enough to show how bad it was. We were very tired and stayed there for only one night, so we didn't complain.

We stayed for dinner at the patio after the ouzo (there are no restaurants around, it is a residential area). I asked for a glass of white Cretan wine. Dimitris said they had it, but insisted we should try the red wine that his father makes. BEWARE!! It is really bad wine. Dimitris strongly recommended us to have the fixed menu, which according to him was a really good deal. It was not, I would say it was a little overpriced, specially considering that they did not give us dessert, which they were supposed to do. It wasn't great cooking, either. There was no live music (Greek night), according to Dimitris it will start later in the season, but it is becoming increasingly for the hotel to host have them.

Dimitris gave us a plan of the city that was incomprehensible to us because it was all in Greek characters, but he explained in detail how to get to Knossos and the museum. Since they didn't need the room the day we left, Dimitris also provided us the possibility to stay in the room (not cleaned, obviously) until 5pm for 10 euros extra , which was good.

Room Tip: Don't accept an ugly, dark room; there seem to be some nice ones. Apparently, they are oriented...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank katimuri
Dear Katy, thank you for your comment.

Its really a an honestly comment, the room is now freshly painted , all the furnish are new and all white because of your notice.

My wine is that, some people likes it some other not, i like it and i dont have headache next morning.

Also the majority of our quests like our cousine, instant of choosing one of the many other tavern of the area.

Thanks again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amoudara
Hotel Akti Corali
#4 of 32 in Amoudara
Aptera Beach
Aptera Beach
#7 of 32 in Amoudara

Been to Georgia Hotel? Share your experiences!