“More like 3 or 4 stars”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Podstrana
London, United Kingdom
“More like 3 or 4 stars”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This hotel is nice. But I would not say it is a 5 star hotel room.
The rooms are very dated, but they were clean with a nice bathroom. We had a lovely view from our room and it was spacious.
The reception staff were not the most pleasant people but it was very busy when we were checking in.
Both indoor and outdoor pools were great, but we went in the summer and they were very very crowded as you would expect. The beach is nice (stones) but very very small. Considering the size of the hotel however, I would expect more.
It is quite a bit out of the city, you can jump on the hotel bus though (which you have to pay for and book) From the hotel there is not much you can walk to which we knew, but on reflection this was an error on our part.
Breakfast was awful considering the cost, the place where we ate it had fantastic views, but this in no way compensated for the poor quality of spread.
The bar also had wonderful views.
This place lacked any real character and the staff were not as helpful as they could have been.
Our stay was pleasurable, but we wouldn't' stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IgorNovakovic, Manager at Le Meridien Lav Split, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear NeilPatel84, I am glad to see that you have managed to discover that in Le Meridien Split everything comes with a great view and that you enjoyed our bars and pools. I am sorry to hear that you were not completely happy with your breakfast, something for which we are used to receiving praise.
Thank you for taking time to write your review. Best Regards, Igor Novakovic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Lund, Sweden
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Went to Split on a conference trip with the whole company. The service was not 5-star, for example the bar was understaffed and the service was very slow, but everything else was 5-star!
The room that I got was fantastic with an magnificent view! It was big and clean, especially the bathroom. The beds were ok (3/5), but still good to sleep in.
The location was great for this purpose, a bit east of Split in Podstrana. Located close to the sea and close to the island of Brac for a weekend daytrip. The hotel facilities and restaurant were great!

Liked most: Location, food and beautiful Adriatic Sea view.
Liked least: Slow bar service and bed.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Let me start by saying that I recognize that European 5 stars and US 5 stars are different. I kept this in mind and had no expectation of a truly 5 star trip. However, my experience here was so bad I feel that this hotel doesn't even merit 2 stars.

I have traveled to Croatia before and loved it. The country is amazing. I would absolutely recommend that everyone see this amazing country.

THIS hotel, however, was horrendous. DO NOT book here.

The staff is rude and inattentive. It took 45 minutes of waiting in line to check out of the hotel. During my entire stay there, there was always a huge line waiting to speak to the desk attendants. The front desk was rude, unhelpful and overall unprofessional. It was as if they were all in training, yet no one was really there to help them.

They did not honor my room request reservation because they overbooked. WHY was their mistake my problem? Unacceptable.

They advertised a casino (which is about the only thing to do at the hotel) but when I arrived, I learned it was closed indefinitely. When I asked why booking websites never stated this, the hotel said the casino was run by a 3rd party company and they had no control over when it was opened or closed. I, personally, would not have booked here had I known this information prior. Sneaky, very sneaky.

The hotel is located NOWHERE near the downtown area. In fact, it takes 30 minutes via cab to get to the center.

The hotel offers virtually nothing to do. The excursions are all extra costs.

Be sure to check your bill upon checkout as they do add "extras" and don't remotely explain what they are when you ask. They removed them from my bill, but still never clarified what the heck they were.

Horrible experience. I would NOT recommend staying here at all, nor will I ever return. Frankly, anything could be better than this place.

Room Tip: Didn't matter because they overbooked and just put you wherever.
11 Thank Teri_Germanotta
IgorNovakovic, Manager at Le Meridien Lav Split, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Teri_germanotta,
I am sorry to hear that you do not expect 5 start European luxury to be on the same level as you are accustomed to in US. I am also sorry to hear that you did not find information on many daily free activities this resort has on offer: Divine Body Yoga, Kinezitherapy, Aqua Gym, Archery, Table Tennis, Mini Golf, Fitness Circuit Training, Tennis Lessons and Breathing Techniques, Intermediate Yoga, Hatha Yoga and finally Solar Yoga. In the evening we have an exhaustive entertainment schedule.
The Casino which used to be in the same building complex as the resort (but never part of the hotel) is closed which was the decision of the third party running it.
Thank you for taking time to write your review. Best Regards, Igor Novakovic
New Jersey
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This hotel was very nice, clean, and the facilities were wonderful (spa, infinity pool, beautiful lobby, etc).
Location: The hotel’s location had positives and negatives. I knew in booking it that it wasn’t very close to the old city. I thought the location might be a bit more relaxing, on the water with a pool and more amenities rather than staying somewhere crowded in the old town where I had heard it could get rather loud at night. It was quiet and we did have some relaxing time at the pool and the indoor spa facilities (free access to guests). There were a few cafes situated around the harbor by the hotel, and the hotel had several places you could eat, as well. However, it definitely wasn’t close to old town. You either had to get a taxi or take the shuttle (book times ahead and keep to its schedule—we called back to the hotel from town and got on the shuttle we wanted to on the way back without a problem). It was easy and cheap (I don’t remember exactly how much, but they just billed it to our room). Within 10-15 minutes you were dropped off right in the middle of things at the harbor front. I think the shuttle ran until 11pm or so, so if you were a night own (there are a lot of bars in town), then you’d probably have to catch a taxi back. Also, I don’t think it began running until later in the day, so it wasn’t an option for the morning. As long as it works with your plans it’s a good deal. A taxi would probably cost a substantial bit more.
Overall: Overall, the hotel was a great place to relax and unwind in an otherwise bustling city. The pool and spa facilities were great. The beach in front was a nice plus, but it was very rocky and the water wasn’t the clear water you see elsewhere (like in Dubrovnik), but that goes with the area in general. I have no complaints other than that the drinks we got from the terrace bar could not have been made any weaker unless there was no alcohol at all in them (and I am not one to want a strong drink). The hotel was immaculate, and the food we had for lunch from the restaurant by the pool was decent. The lattes we got from the bar in the lobby in the morning were very good (and cheap). The lobby in general was lovely and made me want to spend time there just watching the bustle of people going by.
Hotel Staff: The staff went very out of their way to welcome me as a Starwood Preferred Guest and offer any assistance they could. The person checking us in even went and got her supervisor to come and welcome us and offer any assistance she could. They upgraded us to a nicer room and overall were very good. Even the shuttle driver was pleasant.
Room: Our room was wonderful. We were upgraded to a nicer room with a sea view at no additional cost, so I’m sure I’m a bit biased. We had a little balcony we could sit out on and relax. The room was a bit larger than a regular one, as well, so we had a bit of room to stretch out. It wasn’t enormous or anything, but it was a good size for 2 people. The bathroom was nice and felt new. Overall, I don’t have any complaints about the room at all.

Room Tip: SPG Gold gets you much better service and possibly a room with a view
2 Thank meghan429
Dear meghan429, Thank you so much for taking time to write your review. I am so happy to hear that you were happy with our resort and services. We hope to see you back in Dalatia some time soon. Best Regards, Igor
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I was in the hotel within 3 days. The room was nice and clean with very convinient bad and with view to the yachts. The breakfast and dinner are not so bad, but always almost similar. The distance to the center of the city is aproximately 20 minutes by taxi (120 kunas). It only one inconvinient thing that I noticed was beach with plenty stones in the water, so you should be very carefull when swimming. It is very pleasant and nice hotel for the couples or business meeting.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Oleks, Thank you for your kind words of praise. Hopefully see you back in Croatia soon. Best Regards, Igor Novakovic
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The hotel complex and rooms were very stylish, staff all very friendly and breakfast excellent. Only problem was hotel had a Wedding on the Saturday and even on the upper floors of the hotel you could hear the music at 1am. We complained and were treated well, but think the hotel should either turn the music down after 12.00 in consideration of non Wedding part guests.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
IgorNovakovic, Manager at Le Meridien Lav Split, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear burchett, Thank you for taking time to write your review. I am especially happy that we gave you the chance to experience Dalmatia in style. I am also happy that you are content with the way we handled your request for turning down the music. We hope to see you stay with us again soon. Best regards, Igor Novakovic
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We spent a week there at the end of September and had a very good time. Being a member of the Starwood hotels gave us a room in an area that seemed reserved for members according to signs. The room was nice, but the bed was too hard and a few more pillows would have been nice. No walk in shower, so one had to stand in the bathtub to take a shower. Carpet looked a bit stained, and there were no place but the bottom of the wardrobe to place non hanging items. Other than this we liked the room and the side view to the sea from the balcony.

Indoor pool and outdoor pool were both nice, with excellent sun beds at the terrace by the outdoor pool. Being a bit off season we had no problems in getting a free bed. Free towel could be picked up at the spa, but I also saw the pool assistant bring some to some persons. Nice little bar with sandwiches and salads made it easy to spend the day by the pool.

We only had pedicures, but those were among the best we have had. Sadly they were fully booked when we finally decided to try a massage as well. Very friendly and not pushy staff at the spa unlike some other resorts we have been to.

We had booked half board, and enjoyed the omelettes made by the friendly young man at breakfast, but the coffee was bad. For a European palate it was just as bland and weak as most coffee served in the USA. And it was the first time I ever saw grappa offered at breakfast... I sometimes do indulge in a mimosa when bubbly wine is offered, but grappa is out of my league. One morning I didn’t feel like walking down and my husband felt rather bad when he went back down to get me a roll in a paper napkin and was told off by the manager. By then they should have known him and know that we never had breakfast at the same time, so a polite question to why he came back would have been more becoming, after all we had paid for two persons. Dinner buffet was quite good, but after a week one has seen most of it. We liked the starters and main courses better than the desserts. They had very nice sommeliers who gave good advice when we wanted to try the local wine.

The hotel is big, so big that is was a slight problem to a bad walker. To have an aperitif at the terrace of the bar before dinner meant a good walk to get to the restaurant for dinner. But the hotel had ramps in all areas, even if some of them were rather steep, so even with a wheel chair this hotel would work well. The staff was friendly and we were sad to hear that some of our favourites were loosing their jobs for the winter season, but I guess it had to bee done due to lover traffic. We had an early evening flight out of Split, so we appreciated the late check out given us. It meant that we could enjoy the morning by the pool and still shower and change before we left our room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IgorNovakovic, Manager at Le Meridien Lav Split, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear polarlady, Thank you so much for taking time to write your review. Our Spa is very popular as our therapists are really skilled and really do try to give the best service possible at all times.
We do hope to see you back with us soon again. Thank you, Igor Novakovic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Podstrana
Radisson Blu Resort Split
Hotel Eden
#3 of 8 in Podstrana
Dioklecijan Hotel & Residence
Bluesun Hotel Elaphusa

Been to Le Meridien Lav Split? Share your experiences!