“Great coffee!”

Mrs Clarks @ The Crib Cafe
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Riverton
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The big torquiose building on the main street brings you the award winning, Mrs Clark's Cafe. Open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch and everything in between! Serving Havana Coffee (Welly) in the best possible manner, just for you. Fresh, fast and funky with an atmosphere not to be missed.
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Great coffee can be hard to find but not in Riverton. For a small town we didn't expect to find a cafe of this quality, but were really impressed. Ever friendly service with a smile, excellent coffee and great breakfasts and cakes!

Reviewed January 4, 2014

On New years day 2014 at 2.30pm my brother and I (accompanied by our 93 year old mother) drove south to Riverton to reminisce our wonderful childhood holidays spent there. At 2.30pm we stopped for coffee and a snack at Mrs Clarks Café. A small sign was on the door to say the café was closing at 3.00pm. We felt there was enough time for this. We chose a table near the window that had what I thought a menu placed on it. Mum sat down and only then did I realise it was a wine list. A staff member or owner yelled very loudly in a shrill voice that the kitchen closed at 2.45pm. I approached the counter first while my brother helped Mum out of her chair and back on to her walking stick. I asked whether the rolls in the cabinet were in fact cheese rolls. The woman was quite rude and asked "Haven't you ever had a cheese roll?". Once again it was repeated that the kitchen closed at 2.45pm. It was very obvious that we were not welcome. We decided to leave and the same woman yelled out again in a very loud sarcastic voice "sorry we couldn't help you today"
If the staff member felt there was not enough time for a coffee and snack to be served why did she not walk over and explain to us when we first arrived. We would have understood and it would have saved my mother a lot of effort getting in and out of a chair. The staff member showed no respect or empathy for the elderly, and no customer deserves to be yelled at across the room. If the café did not want any further custom for the day then put a closed sign up.
I do not believe there is any excuse for such rudeness, sarcasm and yelling.

1  Thank Mary-Ann W
MrsGilder, Owner at Mrs Clarks @ The Crib Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Hi there, I appreciate you taking the time to review us. I remember you well also.
My name is Cazna and I am the owner and operator of Mrs Clark's Cafe. The person whom you refer to as rude, loud and schreechy.
The day in question was New Years Day, the busiest day on our calendar. The weather was dreadful also and we had a record number of people through our doors on the day in question.
For your inmformation - we close at 3pm on Public Holidays and 3pm on Sundays and never charge a surcharge. From 8am, seven days a week . All this is stated on our blackboards outside and on the signage in the window. You pulled up outside and waited quite awhile before coming in, I thought perhaps you had decided on not joining us because of said signage. I am terribly sorry for my failure to please.
We are a small team. I do all the baking fresh, every day and my husband works tirelessy to provide a menu which is satisfying, healthy and affordable. In saying that I am merely a person who tries her best in all that I do. I am not infalliable! The customer may always be right but there are also two sides to every story.
I had tried to gain your attention several times, upon entering, but as I was flat out making coffees and was unable to approach you personally. I was given no response or recognition (even though I am loud) and as there were no menus you perused the Beverage list. I stopped what I was doing and appraoched the table you were then sitting at to explain and appologise that the kitchen was closed (knowing you had an elderly lady with you, I actually felt terrible). I then informed everyone that there was some counter food left but not much as it had been extremely busy. You all got up to have a look and I took my time going through what we had left. I felt ignored the entire time. Your question regarding the cheese rolls was not entirely polite, insulting actually, and I responded accordingly.
I understand that my personality isn't everyones 'cup of tea' but I also know that among our regular custom approx.70% is elderly and they enjoy my character, they even come back for more, they are among my favourite group of people to cater for.
I would love nothing more than to make up for this failure on my part, by extending an invite back to our Cafe, however, I suspect I would be unsuccessful in changing your opinion of my character or my establishment.
I would, however, reccomned in the future, especially with an elderly person, on a public holiday and in such bad weather in the late afternoon that you call ahead to be assured that the establishment in question can confirm their hours and perhaps even reserve a table for you.
Warmest regards,

Cazna Gilder
Owner, operator, baker, barrista, accountant, cleaner and waitress of
Mrs Clark's Cafe
Winner of NZ's Best Cafe
2012/13
Riverton

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Service was lovely but unfortunately very slow which for us was not an issue. If pressed for time it might be best to alert staff to time constraints.
The food, drinks and coffee were really really lovely.
The kids ( all 5 of them) plus 3 adults declared the milkshakes to be the best they had EVER tasted and my banana smoothie was pretty good too.
Portions were generous and well presented.
The seafood chowder was well received, the pulled pork bun " delicious" and pancakes with syrup and cinnamon butter " awesome".
The coffee was really good too.
Would happily return to try more of the delicious menu.
The bathroom tap is now in usable order too ( broken in a previous review).

Reviewed December 10, 2013

My husband and I stopped here on our way to Invercargill and really enjoyed our meal. The seafood chowder was excellent and the blue cod fish cakes were very tasty. The waitress was friendly and the service good. The coffee and hot chocolate weren't very hot but that was a minor problem. Our one disappointment with the cafe was that the washbasin tap in the toilets was broken and therefore nowhere to wash our hands. Thank goodness for washing gel. I'm sure that it I'll be fixed forthwith.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband & sons loved this place so much they gave me a voucher to try it out.. The service was extremely slow, and no-one asked if our meals were ok. It wasn't. My grilled veggie & brie Panini, which I imagined would be stacked with veg for the price, had 2 wafer thin slices of courgette, 1 sliver of red pepper on one half and 2 small pieces of brie. Not impressed. I felt that all our meals were overpriced. They forgot our coffee order, the kids had to go up to ask for their drinks as no-one was around to ask. We sat with our dirty dishes for 10 mins, at that stage the kids had to go to the counter to order brownie & cheesecake, 15 mins later it arrived & our dishes were finally cleared. Next time I think we'll stick to our usual places in Invercargill, Buster Crabb (kids full breakfast for $10, cheaper than 2 poached eggs at Mrs C), or the Batch.

2  Thank JOHcc73
MrsGilder, Owner at Mrs Clarks @ The Crib Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Hi there, I am so terribly sorry that your experience with us was less than average. It is even more of a concern that your husband and kids bought you here to show us off and even more that we let you down so. I recall the table you were at and I should have been far more proactive. Unfortunately we were one staff member down that Fathers Day and young Hana is still more or less in training (she is only 16) I should have had more input with her and your table. I do recall appogising for the bungle with your drinks and I didn't charge you for those but obviously that was not enough to appease. I would like to offer you a refund for the Voucher if that is acceptable? Please email me at mrsclarkscafe@xtra.co.nz with your details and I will reimberse you. It is most out of the ordianary and coming into the summer we have much training to do. I will speak to the kitchen also. Sadly we do not have the luxury of living in Invercargill and we pay much in frieght etc to have our supplies delivered so i cannot compete with $10 breakfasts. I look forward to hopefully seeing you again to rectify your experience because I am very proud of our wee Cafe. Thank you for taking the time to review us!