“Big group Sunday lunch”

Cuisines: British, Pub, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A group of 17 of us had Sunday lunch there. The service was friendly and efficient, although the food had started to cool when it came. As we were a big group, it did seem the vegetable portions were low. We pre-ordered meals, mostly roasts, and also had coffee and desert. We all enjoyed our meals and liked the corner where they were able to seat us all on one table. There were also fine with us paying individually and staying for a while chatting after the meal.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (523)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We have just returned from an eventful evening at St Mabyn Inn, where we took some good friends for some supper, we normally go to St Tudy Inn, but thought we’d take them to some where different as we had already taken them to St Tudy.

I ordered the rump steak medium rare, it looked delicious when it came to the table, but unfortunately 1/2 of it was inedible it was full of gristle. The waitress came over and asked if everything was ok, I explained that the steak wasn’t very nice, and showed her the uneaten steak, she apologised and offered me another steak but as I had already eaten all the chips etc and as my friends had nearly finished their meal I declined another steak.

The bill came up and we had been charged for the inferior steak meal. We told the waitress that we were expecting the cost of the meal to be deducted from the bill.

The waitress then called the manger over, she was extremely defensive, she told us about all the covers they had and with no complaints, but the table next to us had told the waitress that their meal was strictly average !

She then accused us of trying to obtain a free meal by complaining unnecessarily. We explained that we weren’t that type of clientele, and all that we really hoped was that the bill was discounted for the steak meal. We were then begrudgingly given the price of the meal off, but were made to feel extremely unwelcome, we paid the bill and ordered our taxi to pick us up 1/2 hour earlier than planned.

As we left the restaurant it was clear that she was sitting at the bar talking about us! Total lack of customer relations!!

We won’t be going back - and would advise anyone not to complain about their meal!We will stick to St Tudy Inn in future.!!

To conclude the waitress staff were lovely but the manger was the rudest person we have ever encountered in a restaurant, and we will never return.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Went to St Mabyn Inn tonight with friends , one of us ordered the rump steak which although looked nice was very fatty and grissly and practically inedible, when we complained we were told the manager would come and see us. When she came out she was very aggressive , she said no one else complains but there was only one other table in the restaurant and they had complained that there meal was " very average" the manager offered 50% off but then withdrew that and said she would charge us the cost price of the steak ! As it wasnt their fault the steak wasn't good quality. They lost our desert orders, more drinks and future visits. We will be recommending to all our friends and villagers that they should avoid this place at all costs. I have never experienced customer service like this in my life. In future we will be dining at St Tudy and St Breward where we have never had any reason to complain in several years. The "manager" needs to go on a customer service training course, she is the most unprofessional person I have ever come across. I run my own business , but if I treated my customers like this I wouldn't have any customers !

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I can highly recommend this pub! The food, staff, garden and atmosphere were all brilliant.
A special mention to Henry for making us all so welcome. He was outside working hard preparing delicious pizza!
We had an amazing evening, lots of fun and will be back!
The pub had a band playing when we were there! It was fantastic!
Can’t wait for round 2

Reviewed September 11, 2019 via mobile

Came here on a Monday evening, the weather was rubbish so we couldn’t be bothered to go far and this was only 10 minutes away from where we were staying. On a Monday evening they only serve burgers, pizza and basket meals so bear this in mind. We ate in the bar area as the restaurant was empty, bar area is typical pub decoration so a bit dated but the restaurant looked lovely. I was a bit sceptical when we ordered due to the limited menu but the burgers we had were lovely and only £10 for burger and fries. My husband had the doubled up-version with an extra burger, egg and bacon for £14.50 total. £30 for 2 meals and drinks.

1  Thank 259lyndseys