“Spot of lunch”

La Terra D'Ercole
Ranked #43 of 133 Restaurants in Ercolano
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed February 23, 2019

Having spent a morning visiting the ruins and faced with a brisk walk back the station, we decided on having lunch here. We were directed to a spiral staircase to what was the roof covered with a tent. All secure enough but as it was a gusty day it was a bit disconcertingly noisy. A word about the staircase, for those not fleet of foot I wouldn't recommend it. We opted for a pizza and two pasta dishes between the three of us. The food when it came was passable Italian fare and nicely cooked. I had to ask for Parmesan however which is usually offered in other eateries I have visited.

Date of visit: December 2018
Write a reviewReviews (138)

Reviewed January 9, 2019

This place is right down the road from Herculaneum, which made it ideal for our lunch break after Pompeii but before the next tour. You have to take extremely tight windy stairs up to the top deck to eat - I was amazed watching the waiters carry several dishes at a time with ease. Wearing a dress, I wasn't happy with the stairs as they are not solid so anyone underneath could look up and see everything.

You're in the open air so it's not air conditioned but they do have solid canopies so you're not in sunshine (big thumbs up in August). The bathroom is not great... really not even that good... but it works and sometimes, that's all I ask for. The chairs are just plastic outdoor chairs - nothing special, don't move well, susceptible to break and not comfortable. They advertise free wifi but we didn't use it so I'm unsure of how fast or reliable it is.

The food was pretty good. Of the 4 of us, 2 got pizzas and 2 got pastas. It was on par for the rest of the food we had in Italy. Someone else in our group picked up with tab so I'm unsure what the total was but I know my individual meal was priced just fine.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed October 22, 2018 via mobile

We popped in during a rainfall before the park. The food is overpriced, nothing special. Honestly I wouldn’t come here again.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed September 21, 2018 via mobile

i came with my family and we all eat pizza wich was great . very nice place . recomended for pizza meal.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 18, 2018 via mobile

We were on a full day tour of Pompeii and Herculaneum and when we finished at Pompeii our guide mentioned lunch. She said we could try one of the places around Pompeii or if we wanted pizza she knew of a place by the Herculaneum scavi that would be cheaper and less crowded. We took her advice and we were off the La Terra D’Ercole. It is only about 2 blocks from the archeological site which is very convenient. We decided to get pizza. We got the Margarita and the Quattro Fromagii. Both were very good. The Gorgonzola flavor on the 4 cheese was very present, but well balanced. Of the two we preferred the Margarita. We ate up on the second floor where there was a nice breeze on a hot day. Be aware the staircase was quite small and tight. All in all this is a quite affordable, solid choice for food near the ruins of Herculaneum.

Date of visit: August 2018