Ecocamp Patagonia
Lago Grey Hotel and Navegation(Torres del Paine National Park)
$180
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Estancia Tercera Barranca(Torres del Paine National Park)
Awasi Patagonia - Relais & Chateaux(Torres del Paine National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Tierra Patagonia Hotel & Spa(Torres del Paine National Park)
  • Breakfast included
explora Patagonia - All Inclusive(Torres del Paine National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Patagonia Camp(Torres del Paine National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Rio Serrano Hotel(Torres del Paine National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Las Torres Patagonia(Torres del Paine National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Hosteria Mirador del Payne(Torres del Paine National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Hosteria El Pionero(Torres del Paine National Park)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssuite domestandard domeeco campwildlife safaricomposting toiletssuperior domesw trekprivate bathroommulti sportpisco sourspunta arenasluxury campingchillipuerto nataleswood stovehiking groupnational park
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We wanted something a bit different for the Patagonia leg of our Chilean honeymoon, so we chose EcoCamp on a friend's recommendation. It did not disappoint - the food was excellent, the domes were so unique (we were in a suite dome) and in the perfect location in the park, and the excursions were awe-inspiring. Our guide was well-informed and the mix of biking, hiking, kayaking and horseback riding was a great way to see Torres del Paine (we did the Epic Multisport Adventure). I would recommend Eco Camp to anyone visiting the park. The only regret we had was that we couldn't do the W trek because we were "off cycle" during the week on our adventure. I suppose that means we will have to come back!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the suite dome for privacy, a fireplace, and a private bathroom
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Community Manager at Ecocamp Patagonia, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

It was a pleasure having you stay with us on your Chilean honeymoon! Great you found the food excellent, the domes unique and the excursions awe-inspiring. Please keep recommending Eco Camp to anyone visiting the park and we hope to welcome you back to do the W trek in the future. Saludos de Chile!

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We had a wonderful experience with EcoCamp. Food was soooo good! Domes are very comfortable, and the scenery is AMAZING! We did not opt for any the excursions and it is true that those that ARE participating the the excursions are treated differently. For those looking to stay at EcoCamp and not participate in the all-inclusive packages I would suggest that you be very forward in asking for help if needed. The Guides there primarily focus on those participating the all inclusive packages, but will for sure be there for you if you approach them.

We kinda had a heads up about this from reading other reviews so it was't a big deal to us, but we heard others complain about it during our stay. Regardless I would go back to EcoCamp in a second!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer M

We are so happy to hear you had a wonderful experience at EcoCamp! Great you enjoyed the food, domes and scenary so much. We will pass on your comments about the excursions, the guides are of course very busy but we aim to make time to help all our guests. We hope to welcome you back in the future - great to hear you would go back in a second!

Reviewed March 18, 2014

5 night Wildlife Safari in early March 2014.

Positives:
- Incredible location, almost unbeatable. Wake up in the morning and look at the towers hovering over your dome. Just wow.
- Domes (mine was standard, unheated) were quite comfortable. The bedding is excellent (fleece sheets!) and I never felt the slightest bit cold. I do recommend bringing long underwear - though you may or may not need it during the day, it's great pajamas to get you to the bathroom at night as temps can be in the 30's (0c).
- Housekeeping was fine.
- Bathrooms were comfortable and there was plenty of hot water in the showers.
- One of my guides, an intern, was incredible, and stayed with me after my knee decided to rebel on the Tower Base Trek. I wouldn't have missed that trek for the world, so it was nice to be with a company that offered that level of service. The 4 stars comes mostly from that experience.
- I was a solo traveler and expected to share a dome, but no other solo female travelers were there, so I had a dome to myself. That was a very nice bonus.
- The pisco sours for the afternoon meeting were lovely. I'm not much of a drinker, either.

Negatives:
- Food was inconsistent - for the first two days, everything was pretty good, but then service started to fall apart. I got the idea that because the season was ending staff was perhaps shifting around. We had one sort of hilarious morning at the end where breakfast was total confusion. Some entrees were incredible, others not so much.
- The one wonderful guide I had was the exception - the Wildlife Safari tour seems to have far less experienced guides than the treks. One of the other guides I didn't like much at all - he was dismissive and once or twice not very nice. There's no reason for this. In other parts of Chile, I had no trouble finding experienced, knowledgeable guides for day trips. Why does wildlife safari only get the youngest guides? Perhaps with the rather high fees they could hire some more experienced people? It's fine to have a mix of experienced and new, but they shouldn't all be new.
- It is awfully, awfully expensive.
- In part due to injuring my leg, I left a day early and forfeited a very expensive day at this lodge. But I think I would have been more reluctant to do so if I hadn't been facing another day with the guide I didn't like and the service hadn't been declining.
- There would be nothing eco-unfriendly about having one energy-efficient computer, even just a small laptop, available for guests to use to check into airplanes, etc. the office at ecocamp has access already. Why they don't provide this service is beyond me.
- This isn't their fault, but you don't get much of Chilean culture here; you're surrounded by predominantly English speaking tourists.

Recommendations:
- Reserve mid-season - not at the end or the beginning for the best service. Core high season is Jan-Feb.
- If you're in good shape, do at least the short W to get the best of what ecocamp is good at. But know yourself; you will need very high cardiac fitness and good strong hips and knees. This is a vertical place; I had a couple of guides tell me the Tower trek was a moderate slope. It isn't by any normal definition.
- If you're not in good shape, don't book more than 4 nights on the Wildlife tour. 3 would be fine, too. You can see a lot of fantastic scenery just on the easy trips - and one of the easiest, Glacier Gray, is not to be missed.
- You can do everything on the Wildlife Safari tour at other hotels (Hotel Torres is right near ecocamp, in fact, and is closer to the tower trail) so keep that in mind. where ecocamp really shines is in the full service W trekking. Everyone I spoke to on those treks had an incredible time though I met several that had to drop out due to knee issues. Ecocamp allowed them to switch to the Wildlife tours.
- Wildlife notes: you will see tons of Guanacos, but Rhea are more elusive. I saw tons of Rhea only on the way out, hanging out by the side of the road on the way to Puerto Natales.

Bottom line: I am glad I stayed at ecocamp, but am also glad I cut out a day early and saw the Penguins at Isla Magdelena instead. Costly mistake, but I'm glad I corrected it and was able to enjoy more of Patagonia.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Community Manager at Ecocamp Patagonia, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such extensive feedback. The location of EcoCamp is truly outstanding and we are glad you were cosy in your dome. We will pass on your comments about the food and service to the team at EcoCamp, we are always working to improve our services. All in all, we hope you look back with fond memories and that your leg recovers speedily. Best wishes from Chile!

Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

The position of the Ecocamp is awe inspiring. The views the stars wow! We loved being here and the whole Eco concept sits well with us & our ideals. The guides on all our treks were awesome, knowledgable, fun & hard working with a very good handle on the English language. Our only disappointment was the kitchen & wait staff who never smiled & made us feel almost rushed & unwelcome. The food was mostly average & pack lunch breads soggy. The bar hardly opens & when it does no ones interested. HAPPY HOUR happens daily but ones happy to see you!

• Stayed: February 2014

Thank you for your comments, fantastic you found the location awe-inspiring and agreed with our eco values. We will pass on your comments to our 'awesome, knowledgable, fun & hard working' guides! And will feedback the details about the kitchen staff, we are always trying to improve our services and the last thing you should feel is rushed or unwelcome. We are also always trying to improve the food and are looking into what happened with the bar. Thank you again and we hope you will look back on your trip with fond memories. Saludos from Chile!

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Don't expect a 5 star hotel. This is an ecocamp that does exactly what it says on the tin. My partner and I stayed at Ecocamp in February 2014 for 6 days and found it to be the best combination between evening comforts and trekking parts of the famous W. The weather was absolutely perfect by the time we were hiking the French Valley and Towers Base. The challenge is trying not to fall asleep in your home made dinners and wine after a day of trekking.

The guides were excellent and very good with their English. Our main guide was Diego who was excellent. If you happen to have a Go-Pro, ask him for the 'Go-Pro Go' and buy him a piscola in the bar after.

We were also incredibly fortunate to see a puma on our first night inside the camp and last day on the way to the Grey Glacier.

Room Tip: Superior Cabins for your own shower, toilet and fire
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rob_goulding
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Community Manager at Ecocamp Patagonia, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Thank you for your comments! We like your phrase "This is an ecocamp that does exactly what it says on the tin" and that's good news you didn't fall asleep in your dinner! We will pass on your comments to the guides, especially Diego. How lucky to see a puma! We hope to welcome you back in the future, saludos de Chile!