“Amazing adventure”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bristol U.K
“Amazing adventure”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Having done over 50 countries tours over years. This Eco camp stay was the best ever. The domes,dinners and staff were excellent, The guides were informative and concerned on the people trekking the parks and peaks. The added bonus to my experience came after being upgraded to suites dome which proved pure comfort. My thanks to Gemma at Chimu Adventures in U.K also for the South American tour organisation. Keep up the good work and ideas at Eco Camp.
Abdul.

Room Tip: Suites dome worth considering
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ecocamp Patagonia, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thanks for the great feedback Abdul, we’re very happy indeed to hear how much you enjoyed EcoCamp’s domes, dinners, staff and guides, and being the best stay on all your tours throughout 50 countries is something we are extremely proud of!

Warm wishes from Chile,
Gemma, EcoCamp Community Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I travelled to the Eco camp with Cascada Expeditions in January 2013. They picked me up at my Hotel in Punta Arenas and a 7 hour transfer took me to the Eco camp. It truly is a little paradise nestled where it's definitely the best view of Torres del Paine and the Towers! I settled in my dome and was off for a cocktail and a great dinner. The sunset and sunrise are just amazing. Breakfast is simple, you make and pack your own lunch-sandwiches/snacks (which I thought was a real bonus). Their dinners are definitely really good!

I booked the Safari expedition which had me choose between different guided excursions each day. I chose the active excursions every day because it's what I wanted. Sadly for me, some of those weren't as active as I would have liked and there was lots of time needed to travel in a van between different areas. Knowing this, I would a chosen the W-trek or the full trek for a more active vacation. Being younger than most (in my thirties) the atmosphere at camp wasn't as exciting as I hoped for.

Guides were all nice and great although sometimes looking somewhat disorganized.

Where I struggled with this vacation is when I got sick...including other travellers and STAFF. Something happened in the kitchen or advising us to drink water from the streams might not have been a good idea. The only other water alternative was small bottled water sold for 2000 pesos. I was down for two days sleeping off a heavy fever. Problem with the domes is you can't rest in there in the day cause it just gets too hot. So I transferred out early and booked a hotel in town.

All in all, it was definitely a great experience. Laying down in a super comfy bed and watching the stars through the window...just amazing! Domes, washrooms and common areas were always extremely clean. Most travellers didn't get sick! I give it a GO!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BeenThere01
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ecocamp Patagonia, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. Glad to hear you appreciated the unique view we have (just incredible at sunrise and sunset like you say!) and looking up at the stars from inside the comfort of your dome. That’s great you enjoyed our Community Domes as well as all of our meals including our pack-your-own lunch buffet. During your visit there was a bout of rotavirus in the park which happens very infrequently but unfortunately affected you during your stay, as well as affecting members of our staff. Please rest assured your being sick had nothing to do with our kitchen or drinking glacial water from the streams. I understand why you wanted to transfer out early and I hope you had a speedy recovery in your hotel outside of the affected area.

The best of luck in your future travels, fingers crossed for similarly amazing experiences but without the illness!
Florida
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I was at the EcoCamp about 10 years ago and it is even better than I remembered it. They relocated the site about 7 years ago and the facilities are even better. Before there was one room which served as meals, meeting and lounge--now there is a large dining room, and 2 other places for meeting or relaxing. The staff was absolutely first rate in every respect, and did more to accommodate us that we could have thought up on our own! Granted, we were with a group, but on 2 days, 3 of us did activities not with the group and the staff insisted on making us a wonderful lunch, complete with wine, served at the time of our choice. We had a standard dome which was fine--bathroom was not far and there was plenty of hot water for showers, as well as ecologically friendly shampoo and soap supplied in them--no need to bring your own. Meals were excellent (remember, you are remote here) and there were always choices, so the vegetarian in our group was well accommodated. This is a unique experience--I like nice hotels as much as the next person--but staying here immeasurably added to the experience of hiking in Torres del Paine.

Our tour was booked through Cascada and our guides were absolutely superb. On the first day out of our 3 day circuit, the soles of my hiking boots failed and I finished the day with them duct taped together. One of the assistant guides went back to camp (4 hours) to get my alternate pair of shoes and then refused any additional tip at the end--asked us to put it into the general guide's fund! The guides spread themselves out throughout the group so that no one was isolated or too far from assistance, if needed. I have been on many trekking trips and our guides were among the top that I have encountered.

Room Tip: Either standard, without a bathroom, or superior with one. No other real choice.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you, we’re very privileged to have you as a returning visitor, it’s fairly unusual for such a remote place as you can imagine and it’s wonderful to hear from someone who visited us ten years ago! As you mentioned we relocated in 2005 (without leaving a trace) and have made many changes since then, such as adding more Community Domes for meeting and relaxing, which I’m glad you appreciated. Glad you found our staff and guides first rate in every respect, we pride ourselves on hiring professional and helpful guides (such as the wonderful assistant guide who ran back to get your other shoes!) whose primary concerns are the safety and enjoyment of the whole group. Also happy to hear you enjoyed our Standard domes and shared bathroom with their amenities as well as enjoying all of the different meal choices.

Thank you and we hope to welcome you back again in another ten years to see how we’ve further evolved!

Very best wishes,
toronto
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I travelled independently throughout Patagonia in early January 2013. We rented a car in Punta Arenas and came to stay in Ecocamp for 2 days. We did not belong to any groups, did all the exploring on our own. The communication via e-mail prior to our trip was very professional, we got all of our questions answered, and the direction to the camp was very helpful, so we found the camp easily, despite the pouring rain, and the lack of signs on the road, and the camp is being not marked on a map of Torres Del Paine. We booked a suite dome for our stay. Because we arrived at 11 AM, our room was not ready yet, so we just changed and decided to go up to the towers. What a crazy/amazing idea that was in retrospect. We did the hike, experienced four seasons in a day with a heavy snow shower, and arrived back to the camp at 9:30 PM happy, proud and exhausted. Then we got to see our room, and we were blown away... What a great concept, luxury in the tent. The suite was magical, very comfortable and cosy. Yes, it is quiet expensive compared to the standard dome and to other Patagonia hotels or camps, but when you return to a room after a day of hiking and the fire is on in your room, there is heat in the bathroom, hot shower with good water pressure awaits you and know that you will have a best sleep in a super comfortable bed with the softest blankets around you, you feel like you are in heaven, so the money you spent on this is well worthed. Luckily the weather improved and when the clouds moved away, we saw the majectic towers from our own deck. The location of a camp is the best in Patagonia. All the meals we had were great, the staff were friendly, fun and kind people. We did notice that we were the only couple who did not belong to a group, but we were not treated any differently. In fact we approached the guides with some questions and they gave us really good suggestions. On our second day we drove to Glacier Grey, and exprored the rest of the park. We were worried about running out of gas and talked to Rene the manager on site, and he graciously offered and arranged some gas for us, so we made it back to Punta Arenas safely and stress free. A special thanks to Rene for this.
We will whoheartedly recommend Ecocamp to anyone visiting Torres Del Paine. Thank you for you hospitality.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ecocamp Patagonia, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
What wonderful feedback, thank you very much for sharing all aspects of your experience! Very happy to hear you felt so welcome at EcoCamp, despite not being in a group on one of our packages, and it sounds like Manager Rene was helpful as always! Glad pre-trip communication was very professional and that you found our meals great and our staff friendly and kind. Our Suite Domes are indeed very beautiful & cozy and ideal after a long hike up to the towers, not to mention the wonderful view of the towers when the clouds clear!

Thank you for becoming an EcoCamp ambassador! I wish you the best of luck in all your future travels,
Chester
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The whole concept of the Ecocamp was something quite innovative and extremely well thought out. I can see it might not suit everyone but it certainly suited us and I would recommend it whole heartedly! Interesting to hear Travellingsuz saying her family called their come a 'hobbit hole' because that is exactly what we thought! We had a standard dome, it is quite small inside but with a wonderfully comfy bed, LOADS of covers and plenty of storage so as I say, luxury camping but if you want a hotel, go to a hotel! The toilet block was SO pretty, all the hot water from solar power, (and lashings of it!), biodegradable soap/shampoo provided along with towels etc. In the communal domes there were log fires, a bar, plenty of tea/coffee/biscuits and we found the meals to be beautifully presented and very nice. We had to nominate a breakfast time so again, not like a hotel but if you want a hotel then go to one! Once we had nominated the time then there were no problems, plenty to eat, good quality food. They also provided us with a fantastic range of things to make our own packed lunch, you could take as much as you wanted of exactly what you liked so no soggy sandwiches containing fillings you wouldn't touch with a barge pole! Just loved the whole experience!

Room Tip: Suite domes and superior domes do have their own toilet facilities but the toilet block is within ea...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ecocamp Patagonia, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thanks for your fantastic recommendation, very pleased to hear you had a such a great time! Yes our Standard domes are very cozy with their fleece sheets and covers and we’re glad you liked the features of our shared bathrooms as well as appreciating our solar water heating system. It sounds like you enjoyed the vibe of our Community domes just as intended and the make-it-yourself packed lunch which is designed exactly to avoid soggy sandwiches and such things! As you said, EcoCamp is by no means a classic hotel but an ideal option for people such as yourself looking for an innovative experience in a beautiful setting!

Warm wishes from Chile,
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We choose the Ecocamp for the combination of sustainability and quality.
We stayed in the standard dome (suite domes were full) and as the shared shower (water always hot) and toilet facilities (composting toilet works very well), I don't think we would upgrade next time around. It was cold and windy with both drizzle and sunshine when we were there and it was very cosy.

The team is great, friendly and did their best (but see below) to make sure we had a great time. Food is very good and I like the make your own box lunch at breakfast (lots of ingredients to choose from). Also good options for vegetarians.

I am not giving 5 stars, however. Though I love hiking, I am more interested in seeing wildlife and the program Wildlife Safari is a misnomer. You have a choice between a difficult and easy program, based on locations/hikes logistics. I would prefer a program with more attention to interpretation, where we go for the park icons (puma, condor, guanaco, huemul, fox, flamingos, interesting flora etc). Night or walks would also be interesting. You need to make sure to give your preferences, as they don`t really ask for it and there is no clear camp manager. That is a difference with the Africa experience

It is also expensive, especially compared to Africa.

Room Tip: Though standard domes means less space, no heating and shared bathrooms .. I didn't find this a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ecocamp Patagonia, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Great to hear about your wonderful experience! Glad you enjoyed our Standard Domes and communal bathrooms as well as our menu, lunch box options and friendly team of staff! In terms of wildlife we endeavour to cater to all interests on our Wildlife Safari program by offering a minimum of two daily excursions, one of which is focused more on hiking (active option) and the other more on wildlife (easy option). Unfortunately Patagonia is no Africa and wildlife tends to come in the form of diverse flora and animals such as guanacos, foxes, ñandús and condors, all of which i’m sure you will have seen.

Thank you for sharing and enjoy your future adventures!
Webridge
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I had hoped this would be a holiday highlight, but the email with directions was sent late so we ended up doing a 2 hour detour, we were welcomed by someone with the service skills and appearance of someone just out of prison, breakfast was slow,and its ALOT of money compared toHotel Las Torres which is nicer, cheaper and with better facilities. Ecocamp in my view is just for the die hard conservationists who can afford it.

3 Thank John E
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ecocamp Patagonia, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
I’m very sorry to hear about your disappointing experience with us. I have checked with the sales team and you were sent the email with directions on the same day payment was made. Sales also offered you the option of a 4 day Wildlife Safari including all transfers, meals, guided excursions, accommodation etc - EcoCamp packages are enjoyed by a wide range of people and are good value when you compare everything included to buying everything separately as you did. I am very sorry about the welcome you received, we do not accept below par service and I will investigate what could have happened in your case.

Best wishes and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday,