“Perfect in every way”
Review of Ecocamp Patagonia

Ecocamp Patagonia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I travelled independently throughout Patagonia in early January 2013. We rented a car in Punta Arenas and came to stay in Ecocamp for 2 days. We did not belong to any groups, did all the exploring on our own. The communication via e-mail prior to our trip was very professional, we got all of our questions answered, and the direction to the camp was very helpful, so we found the camp easily, despite the pouring rain, and the lack of signs on the road, and the camp is being not marked on a map of Torres Del Paine. We booked a suite dome for our stay. Because we arrived at 11 AM, our room was not ready yet, so we just changed and decided to go up to the towers. What a crazy/amazing idea that was in retrospect. We did the hike, experienced four seasons in a day with a heavy snow shower, and arrived back to the camp at 9:30 PM happy, proud and exhausted. Then we got to see our room, and we were blown away... What a great concept, luxury in the tent. The suite was magical, very comfortable and cosy. Yes, it is quiet expensive compared to the standard dome and to other Patagonia hotels or camps, but when you return to a room after a day of hiking and the fire is on in your room, there is heat in the bathroom, hot shower with good water pressure awaits you and know that you will have a best sleep in a super comfortable bed with the softest blankets around you, you feel like you are in heaven, so the money you spent on this is well worthed. Luckily the weather improved and when the clouds moved away, we saw the majectic towers from our own deck. The location of a camp is the best in Patagonia. All the meals we had were great, the staff were friendly, fun and kind people. We did notice that we were the only couple who did not belong to a group, but we were not treated any differently. In fact we approached the guides with some questions and they gave us really good suggestions. On our second day we drove to Glacier Grey, and exprored the rest of the park. We were worried about running out of gas and talked to Rene the manager on site, and he graciously offered and arranged some gas for us, so we made it back to Punta Arenas safely and stress free. A special thanks to Rene for this.
We will whoheartedly recommend Ecocamp to anyone visiting Torres Del Paine. Thank you for you hospitality.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ecocamp Patagonia, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

What wonderful feedback, thank you very much for sharing all aspects of your experience! Very happy to hear you felt so welcome at EcoCamp, despite not being in a group on one of our packages, and it sounds like Manager Rene was helpful as always! Glad pre-trip communication was very professional and that you found our meals great and our staff friendly and kind. Our Suite Domes are indeed very beautiful & cozy and ideal after a long hike up to the towers, not to mention the wonderful view of the towers when the clouds clear!

Thank you for becoming an EcoCamp ambassador! I wish you the best of luck in all your future travels,

Reviewed February 14, 2013

The whole concept of the Ecocamp was something quite innovative and extremely well thought out. I can see it might not suit everyone but it certainly suited us and I would recommend it whole heartedly! Interesting to hear Travellingsuz saying her family called their come a 'hobbit hole' because that is exactly what we thought! We had a standard dome, it is quite small inside but with a wonderfully comfy bed, LOADS of covers and plenty of storage so as I say, luxury camping but if you want a hotel, go to a hotel! The toilet block was SO pretty, all the hot water from solar power, (and lashings of it!), biodegradable soap/shampoo provided along with towels etc. In the communal domes there were log fires, a bar, plenty of tea/coffee/biscuits and we found the meals to be beautifully presented and very nice. We had to nominate a breakfast time so again, not like a hotel but if you want a hotel then go to one! Once we had nominated the time then there were no problems, plenty to eat, good quality food. They also provided us with a fantastic range of things to make our own packed lunch, you could take as much as you wanted of exactly what you liked so no soggy sandwiches containing fillings you wouldn't touch with a barge pole! Just loved the whole experience!

Room Tip: Suite domes and superior domes do have their own toilet facilities but the toilet block is within ea...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ecocamp Patagonia, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thanks for your fantastic recommendation, very pleased to hear you had a such a great time! Yes our Standard domes are very cozy with their fleece sheets and covers and we’re glad you liked the features of our shared bathrooms as well as appreciating our solar water heating system. It sounds like you enjoyed the vibe of our Community domes just as intended and the make-it-yourself packed lunch which is designed exactly to avoid soggy sandwiches and such things! As you said, EcoCamp is by no means a classic hotel but an ideal option for people such as yourself looking for an innovative experience in a beautiful setting!

Warm wishes from Chile,

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We choose the Ecocamp for the combination of sustainability and quality.
We stayed in the standard dome (suite domes were full) and as the shared shower (water always hot) and toilet facilities (composting toilet works very well), I don't think we would upgrade next time around. It was cold and windy with both drizzle and sunshine when we were there and it was very cosy.

The team is great, friendly and did their best (but see below) to make sure we had a great time. Food is very good and I like the make your own box lunch at breakfast (lots of ingredients to choose from). Also good options for vegetarians.

I am not giving 5 stars, however. Though I love hiking, I am more interested in seeing wildlife and the program Wildlife Safari is a misnomer. You have a choice between a difficult and easy program, based on locations/hikes logistics. I would prefer a program with more attention to interpretation, where we go for the park icons (puma, condor, guanaco, huemul, fox, flamingos, interesting flora etc). Night or walks would also be interesting. You need to make sure to give your preferences, as they don`t really ask for it and there is no clear camp manager. That is a difference with the Africa experience

It is also expensive, especially compared to Africa.

Room Tip: Though standard domes means less space, no heating and shared bathrooms .. I didn't find this a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ecocamp Patagonia, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Great to hear about your wonderful experience! Glad you enjoyed our Standard Domes and communal bathrooms as well as our menu, lunch box options and friendly team of staff! In terms of wildlife we endeavour to cater to all interests on our Wildlife Safari program by offering a minimum of two daily excursions, one of which is focused more on hiking (active option) and the other more on wildlife (easy option). Unfortunately Patagonia is no Africa and wildlife tends to come in the form of diverse flora and animals such as guanacos, foxes, ñandús and condors, all of which i’m sure you will have seen.

Thank you for sharing and enjoy your future adventures!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I had hoped this would be a holiday highlight, but the email with directions was sent late so we ended up doing a 2 hour detour, we were welcomed by someone with the service skills and appearance of someone just out of prison, breakfast was slow,and its ALOT of money compared toHotel Las Torres which is nicer, cheaper and with better facilities. Ecocamp in my view is just for the die hard conservationists who can afford it.

3  Thank John E
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ecocamp Patagonia, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

I’m very sorry to hear about your disappointing experience with us. I have checked with the sales team and you were sent the email with directions on the same day payment was made. Sales also offered you the option of a 4 day Wildlife Safari including all transfers, meals, guided excursions, accommodation etc - EcoCamp packages are enjoyed by a wide range of people and are good value when you compare everything included to buying everything separately as you did. I am very sorry about the welcome you received, we do not accept below par service and I will investigate what could have happened in your case.

Best wishes and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday,

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We visited the Ecocamp in January with our 11 year old and 8 year old during a 2 1/2 week trip through Patagonia. We chose the Ecocamp because we thought the kids would love the concept and they did. We stayed in a Standard dome the first night due to availability then switched to a Suite dome. It was very warm that week so heating was not an issue in the Standard domes and they were comfortable but small. The suite dome was great for the family and we were all together in basically a little cabin. It did get very hot in there during the day due to the sun but cooled off at night. My kids called it a "hobbit house". The food was good and it was fun to get to know the other people in the camp that we hiked with which was a fun international group. My kids really liked getting to know the other travelers. My only issue was before going to the camp I received no "packing list" as others here did or any "itinerary" telling us we had to leave at 6am to go to El Calafate. If I knew this, I would have booked another night because it is very far from everywhere and you travel a long way so another day for another hike would have been better. The pre-information was lacking. Overall the experience at the camp was good but I have to say it probably isn't for everyone with the special eco toilets, etc. People should know that they are truly trying to be eco which makes for a different experience. The overall setting is beautiful and Torres is not to be missed.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Travellingsuz
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ecocamp Patagonia, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Excellent to hear you had a great time with your 8 & 11 year olds at EcoCamp! It is a wonderful concept for children (and adults!) who are excited to sleep in ‘hobbit houses’, and I’m glad you were able to spend most nights in a Suite Dome Loft (designed especially for families and groups of friends). EcoCamp is very sociable and perfect for families like yours who like to get to know their fellow travellers! I’m sorry you weren’t send a pre-trip information pack or welcome letter detailing your itinerary, if you booked directly through us then that’s certainly a mistake and please send me an email with your details to media@ecocamp.travel so I can investigate what happened. Yes we are truly eco and it’s something people should be aware of - in the vast majority of cases however we find that guests don’t notice much difference in our bathrooms for example and are happy to know they are contributing to the park’s conservation by staying at EcoCamp!

Thanks for your very positive review and all the best in your future family travels!

Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

What a stunning national park Torres del Paines is! Mother Nature at her best. Set here is ecocamp. Stayed here for 4 nights in the superior domes. These domes were well equipped and comfortable with en suite facilities. Good powerful hot shower. Toilets smell a bit and this can permeate the whole dome if you aren't careful :-(
The variation in ambient temperature also makes thermostatic control in dome tricky. We arrived on an unseasonably warm day and it was unbearably hot inside. On cooler days it can be very cold in the dome so take a fleece and bed socks !
The food was good and varied.
The guides were professional and helpful and knowledgeable.
Particular thanks to Kendra, Claudio & Alfredo.
A lovely experience overall but in my humble opinion overpriced.

• Stayed: January 2013
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ecocamp Patagonia, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thanks for your comments, happy to hear our guides lived up to their excellent standard and you enjoyed our Superior Domes and wonderful scenery on your 7 day W trek. Good powerful hot showers are wonderful after a day trekking in Patagonia! Our Superior domes have gas heaters so temperature at night shouldn’t ever be a problem. Our food is very good and varied as you said, which inevitably incurs significant costs and a complex transportation operation of fresh ingredients between Puerto Natales and EcoCamp. Being situated in the middle of Torres del Paine National Park means our entire operation is very expensive as we have to house and provide meals for all staff as well as guests - at the height of the season we have almost a 1:1 staff visitor ratio to ensure excellent service standards, which is not cheap as you can imagine. I hope that helps you understand our prices and Torres del Paine prices in general a bit better!

Kind regards and best of luck in your future travels!

Reviewed January 25, 2013

National Geographic has it right: Cascada Expediciones is one of the best outfitters out there!

Our main highlight was the 7-day W-trek at Cascada's EcoCamp in Torres Del Paine National Park in southern Patagonia, along with some add-ons for an overall 17-day trip in Chile and Argentina.

We dealt with Cascada mostly by e-mail and were basically assigned to one consultant, Paulina. She answered all of our tediously long questions - her English was good, but there were a few minor misinterpretations that required more explanation. After our trip and we were safely back home in the USA, I reflected that there were only two minor hitches (one of them not being Cascada's fault).

Everything they said they'd provide was provided, and then some. For example, the meals during our trek were way tastier and heartier than we could have hoped for: cocktail hour with delicious appetizers, and 3-course meals with plenty of wine! Same goes for the EcoDomes and bathrooms - way more luxurious and comfortable than you'd expect a camp/refugio to be. I love their eco-friendly philosophies and the whole "indie" scene it gave off. The packing list they sent us beforehand was thorough and complete - my fiance and I had everything we needed and had left behind everything we didn't need. And our trekking guides were super knowledgeable about the geology, animals, and flora.

The other companies they used to partner with in other cities and Argentina were A+, like Emily Tours in Punta Arenas (they picked us up from the airport) and Tolkeyen Tours in El Calafate, AR. The hotels they put us up in Santiago (Meridiano Sur), Punta Arenas (Rey Don Felipe), El Calafate (Sierra Nevada), and Buenos Aires (Boutique Raco) were also top-notch. All provided English-speaking staff, and all were so friendly and accomodating and different from each other!

The 2 flaws: 1) Our particular Cascada guides in Torres Del Paine forgot to give us our border-crossing vouchers for Cerro Castillo. Thankfully one of the other guides waited with us to explain that to the driver, who let us stay on-board since our names had already been officially submitted to the Argentinian border beforehand. 2) Hotel Sierra Nevada in El Calafate gave away our boxed lunches to some other tourists - our lunches had been catered and delivered by Patagonia Deli, which we had paid for. We had a difficult time explaining that to the front desk staff as they assumed we wanted to order THEIR boxed lunch. But when they finally understood, they were deeply apologetic and gave us theirs for free.

Overall, it was a dream vacation. I thought my other adventures to Panama, Australia, Peru, Egypt, Jordan, Vietnam, and Cambodia were awesome. But THIS set up by Cascada Expediciones, is so far my favorite.

Room Tip: Paying extra will get you a superior dome, which is slightly larger and comes with a lock, its own p...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
EcoCamp-Patagonia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ecocamp Patagonia, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thanks for your wonderful review and for endorsing Cascada’s National Geographic prize! Great to hear you enjoyed your 7 day W Trek at EcoCamp so much and that you found the guides to be excellent, meals tasty & hearty and cocktail hour delicious! We’re very proud of our eco domes and shared bathroom, thank you. Glad the packing list we provide was helpful! It sounds like Cascada’s sales team provided you with a very good selection of hotels in other parts of Chile and in Argentina, apart from the minor blip in Calafate.

Thank you for all your feedback about your dream vacation! It makes us very happy to hear that out of all your global travels this trip was your favourite!

Warm wishes,