“It's OK”

Refugio Vertice Paine Grande
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The problem with Paine Grande Refugio is that because it is so accessible without hiking, it attracts lots of people and is thus really big and impersonal. It is clean and modern, but the hot water in the showers was unreliable. Meals are a bit like a canteen where you move along the line with your tray, and the quality of the food was disappointing. Because I was hiking the W from west to east and this was the first refugio in which I stayed though, it meant that I had no comparison and I was then pleasantly surprised when I later arrived at Los Cuernos and Chileno.

One of the staff at reception here (Claudia) was very kind and generous to me. I only had my big pack and Claudia noticed this and offered me her own little backpack, which I then ended up borrowing for the remaining days of my hike. This was so helpful when I hiked up the Valle Del Frances and the Torres and could leave my big pack at the bottom.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Very simple but comfortable accommodation. You can simple way reach both Lago and gletcher Grey and French valley from here. Rooms are well equipped and bathroom is clean. You can have good meal in the restaurant. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are possible in reasinable price. There is small market with basic things too. Water is drinkabel - potable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on our second night of the W trek. We arrived and asked to rent sleeping bags, to which the guy on reception said no, and offered no alternative (even when I asked if we could hire sheets or a blanket). Eventually one of his colleagues found us some ratty old sleeping bags.
The food here was awful - meat at dinner was so over cooked it was like rubber. Breakfast was equally bad, with burnt toast and runny eggs.

The refugio is also huge, with a lot of guests making it feel impersonal and busy.

My advise would be to avoid this lodge and instead stay 2 nights at Cuernos which is a lovely lodge.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 25, 2012

stayed here 1 night, this is by far the biggest refugio in the trek, more like a big ski chalet in the alps. Food was ok for a change. I was there in the preseason so my room wasnt filled up. Took the option with sheets in a bunk and slept very well. there is a bar upstairs. Shared baths were OK but the hot water was finished when i took a shower in the morning, better take a shower at night.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PELOWELOMAN
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The lodge is a good value compared to some of the others. There is a happy hour in the bar from 5-7 pm with half price drinks. The food is very good (we thought). The roos don't lock so don't bring valuables. It is quiter then some of the other lodges and it is possible to get a room for just 2 people. The drawback is the insane wind that pounds the lodge and campground constantly. I would not recommend camping here, even though there is a really nice cooking shelter in the camp area. When we were there in oct thy were doing construction as well so I don't think many campers got much sleep.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank jennifergrapes
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed here for one night in October and were sorely dissapointed. The refugio has no heating, service is bad and the food even worse. On top of that prices are astronomical. I know there isnt much choice and clearly so do they, but try to plan around this one.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Paul V
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Avoid using this company. They cancelled my visit in December and I have since spent 4 months trying to arrange for a refund via email. I went to their office the day after cancellation and they refused to refund me there and said they could only transfer the money into my account. Now I have left the country they just tell me over email they sent refund but still see nothing in my account. It is impossible to deal with them and they refuse to get their bank to try again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple