The problem with Paine Grande Refugio is that because it is so accessible without hiking, it attracts lots of people and is thus really big and impersonal. It is clean and modern, but the hot water in the showers was unreliable. Meals are a bit like a canteen where you move along the line with your tray, and the quality of the food was disappointing. Because I was hiking the W from west to east and this was the first refugio in which I stayed though, it meant that I had no comparison and I was then pleasantly surprised when I later arrived at Los Cuernos and Chileno.
One of the staff at reception here (Claudia) was very kind and generous to me. I only had my big pack and Claudia noticed this and offered me her own little backpack, which I then ended up borrowing for the remaining days of my hike. This was so helpful when I hiked up the Valle Del Frances and the Torres and could leave my big pack at the bottom.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the shores of Lake Pehoe, Refugio Vertice Paine Grande features an amazing view over the mountains. It is the starting point for the hiking trail towards Glacier Grey, French Valley and it is part of the W Trail. The only way to get to Paine Grande is navigating accross the lake or hiking the trails. It features shared bedrooms (only bunk beds). Restrooms feature hot water showers with a push-button system to save water. Paine Grande features a cafeteria (daily fixed menus), a minimarket (groceries and souvenirs) and a bar overlooking the lake and mountains. Important: The shelter does not feature a central heating system. Only 2 resting areas feature wooden stoves (only for guests). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Refugio Vertice Paine Grande reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paine Grande Mountain Hotel Torres Del Paine
- Refugio Vertice Paine Grande Aisen Region/Torres Del Paine National Park, Chile