“Not sure where to start... With all the complementary superlatives!”

Awasi Patagonia - Relais & Chateaux
London
“Not sure where to start... With all the complementary superlatives!”
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 5 nights at awasi on our honeymoon, hoping for a trip of a lifetime and the awasi leg of our stay more than met and exceeded every expectation.

Everything was without a fault from pickup to service throughout our stay to the excursions and the scenic views.

The staff are always very personable and went the extra mile to catering to our needs to trying to consider what we may need. On the first day when we arrived, Rodrigo the excursion manager noticed we didn't have a backpack for hiking and didn't hesitate to lend his to us for our whole stay, subsequently we were also offered walking sticks for our hikes. Before we left we even had a quick tour with Federico the head chef through the kitchen. Secondly the location of the lodge, whilst it was outside of the national park, hardly suffered as a result as it was on a hillside with scenic views of the paine massif, instead it contributed to a sense of adventure and exclusivity as everyday you had to drive into the park (across a river!) and after a day of hiking, driving back to the lodge and seeing the warm orange lights in the distance and knowing hot and wonderful food was awaiting as well, was akin to returning home. Last but not least, having a private guide and own 4wd in retrospect now was the highlight of our stay and again the personable service of awasi staff shone through. We could tailor our program to our likes and the weather and our stamina so we had a couple of days of long day treks but also mixed it up with a day of relaxed walks nearer to the lodge. Juan Pablo JP our guide was AMAZING, looking out for us on difficult trek (tripping!) points, carrying our lunch everyday (a la personal butler cum fellow trekking companion with daily banter) and bringing us to some really special scenic spots, it was like having a local friend bringing you to their personal favourite spots and feeling like you were a local yourself.

Our trip may have ended but looking at our pictures of Patagonia, (subsequently we were in el calafate and drove through Argentinian Patagonia) our stay in awasi is already in our hearts as what defined our Patagonian experience, well worth every cent. We look forward to visiting atacama next and visiting Awasi there no doubt and not anywhere else.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank newtboy7
AwasiAtacama, Manager at Awasi Patagonia - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

I guess, we are the ones “Not sure where to start…” in reply to your comments.

You not only have blown us away with your feedback (thanks!) but truly did leave a mark at our property with all of us. It was such wonderful to have you spend those 6 days/5 Nights with us and allowing us to show you around this Wonder of the World – the Patagonia!

We all send you our best and the team in the Atacama have been advised on your impending trip. We would love to show you the great sights that the desert has to offer. Feel free to reach out to us at anytime, so we may be able to accommodate you there.

Warmest of Regards,

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

We spent 4 nights at the Awasi and had a perfect time. Our guide Christian and driver Gabriel made every excursion an amazing experience and always surprised us with great views, entertaining trips and little food surprises (cocktails after long walks, our favorite desserts after mountainbiking with the Chilenian Champion of 2008). The villa was very beautiful and fully equipped. Every night the hot-tub as well as a little surprise and bedtime story awaited us. Needless to say that the food was absolutely delicious and no special request got unheard and every wish anticipated. Thanks to all the staff at Awasi who made our stay one of the greatest travel experiences we have made. We will visit you again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank igu28
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments.

It was absolutely wonderful to be able to welcome you both to our private reserve!

Christian and Gabriel send their best to you and hope to be able to show you around great new places that you did not get the chance to see during your stay. Plus, it doesn’t hurt to entice you into mountain biking with that great champion, right?

We’ve all had such a great time having you at our lodge and being able to show you those different places that you would not find in those guide books.

Please feel free to reach out to us whenever you would like to re-visit us at the Patagonia or maybe our Atacama property. We are currently running a great promotion from May to September.

Warm Regards,

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I have travelled the world in search of the few wild remaining places whether beach, mountain or forest and stayed in many great resorts but this ranks as one of the best. Not the most luxurious, but given the location, the views from the rooms and main lodge, the staff and the personnalized service it is truly an excellent mountain resort. I would describe it as somewhere between the glamping, or luxury camping, that can be found in Montana to the beautiful rustic lodges found in Banff or Jasper NP Canada. The service is on par with any Aman resort. If you want quite and solitude without having to give up luxury in one of the most beautiful places on earth, this is it!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank robertcK9911KL
Dear Robert,

Thank you very much for allowing us to view an insight on your own personal Experience at Awasi Patagonia.

It was truly a pleasure having you and your family with us. Your little girl Melina truly left a long lasting impression on the entire staff as well. I hope you guys got a chance to see the journal entries that she shared with us from her Awasi excursions book, as we posted them on our facebook account. It was just great seeing how enthused she would be as soon as she would get back to the lodge. Except for that one time she didn’t enjoy her excursion as much as her parents (as she told us…lol).

We really feel that your family would also enjoy a great stay at such a different location like the Atacama Desert. You are more than welcome to reach out to your previous Personal Reservations Assistant, Elaine so she may further assist you.

Warmest Regards,

Genesee, Colorado
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This place in unbelievable. We spent 5 days of our honeymoon here, and it was the highlight of our trip. Nothing I can write will give it justice, but I'll try. From the moment we walked in, everyone at Awasi bent over backwards to give us an incredible experience. The rooms are spectacular, enormous, and have unparalleled views of the Torres. Think sunken oversized bathtubs (and really nice bath products, towels, robes and slippers!!), huge rain showers, huge cozy beds, beautiful decorations and stacks of guidebooks, a private outdoor hot tub they'll fire up for you while you're out adventuring... the list goes on. Stocked fridge with wine and beer, full coffee and tea whenever you want it in your room. Free laundry (which was so helpful after multiple hiking days). The main lodge is also gorgeous, to the point where I wanted to allocate a couple hours each evening to just sit there with a drink, gaze out the window, read all the books they've set out... And then the service is like nothing I've ever seen. The entire staff is outstanding, from the woman working the desk who offered us fun tips for our later time in Buenos Aires, to the incredibly kind/patient/warm restaurant staff and bartender, to the excursions team... they're all seriously amazing and will do everything in their power to accommodate all of your needs/wants. A few examples- we drove to Awasi, and apparently got a flat tire on the way there (we had no idea, it deflated overnight). The next morning they told us about it, and just as we started to get nervous about how we were going to deal with it, they tell us they'd not only put on the spare for us, but would repair the original tire and replace it by the next day. Whoa. Another example- our guide Stephanie was incredible, despite our enthusiasm for huge, all-day, fast hikes multiple days in a row. She was so fun, energetic and cool to talk to, despite insisting on carrying huge gourmet lunches for us the whole day! (Hot thermoses of soup, fruit, sandwiches, desserts, a portable espresso maker (!!)). And when my husband came up with some insane plan to wake up at 3 am and hike 30 miles in one day and meet us mid-day, the excursion team lent him their satellite phone, walkie-talkie, packed him a bunch of extra food, helped him shuttle the car, etc. Just so so so nice. Finally, the food is outstanding, plain and simple. Totally gourmet, amazing selection of wine/cocktails, so much delicious food you could gain a ton of weight even if you're out adventuring all day! We would live at this place forever if we could.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank malkarivka
Dear Mrs. Malkarivka,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your in-depth experience at our lodge.
It was such a pleasure to have you both with us for those couple of days. Not only did we clearly meet our goals to ensure you both enjoyed your stay with us but it was really nice getting to know both of you. We recall the stories your husband told us about the years he had spent living in Chile. It felt like it was his time to re-connect with that time and share it with his new bride. We are so honored that you would allow us to be a part of this beautiful time you were both going through.

If you could come back that would be great because as you saw, there are lots of new and varied places to see here at the Patagonia. We loved seeing how assertive and very independent your husband was for taking that hike on his own (although we did ask many times to join him). However, given that we had gotten to know you both, it was clear to us that he is an experienced hiker.

The entire team sends you their best and we would be delighted to welcome you back to Awasi.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Although my review isn't much different than the others already posted here, I have to give Awasi the high praises it deserves. Because there is not much competition for luxury resorts near or in the remote Torres Del Paine National Park, Awasi doesn't need to be as perfect as it is. I love that it manages to be luxurious without ruining the natural landscape of the area. You will feel like you are the only guests there with the amount of personal care and attention the staff provides. Everyone from the operations manager to the resident chef are amazing. Ximena (the ops manager) was our primary host. She is fun to talk to and was always on point with our needs. The kitchen and waitstaff were also top notch. Frederico (the chef) and his kitchen make you feel like you are eating at a top restaurant in Paris (but with local ingredients of Patagonia of course). My husband has a digestive disease, and they gladly provided special meals to suit his specific needs. When my husband wasn't feeling well one night, one of the great staff, Miguel, became very concerned and offered to deliver chicken soup and tea to our Villa. Never have I experienced that level of kindness at any accommodation! The guides are also very knowledgeable, and great to be with. We had Patrick on our first day, and Juan Pablo for the next couple of days. JP accompanied us on the famed hike to the Towers, and that is when I realized how special having a personal guide is. Instead of being in a group of 10+ like other resorts do, being alone with our guide allowed us to move at our own pace and admire the surroundings without being rushed. The guides also work with you to create customized itineraries, which I really appreciated. I highly recommend a day or half-day of horseback riding with one of the resident gauchos if you have the opportunity.

If I had to mention a couple minor observations / callouts: While we were there we had a few pieces of laundry done since we were traveling on to Perito Moreno glacier and needed to wear the same hiking clothes again. I didn't see a pricing menu for this service in the room, so I found out the prices only after it was done. I may have missed it, but it would be nice if that was it was more visible in the Villa. Also, Awasi is about a 45 minute - 1 hour drive away from the national park. If your priority is to be in the actual park, this may not be the best choice.

I can go on and on about my amazing stay at Awasi, but I'll keep it short and just recommend you go! It is well worth the money for this once in a lifetime experience.

Room Tip: Note that some villas are a good ten minute walk to the main lodge (Master Villa the furthest, but w...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Melissa A
AwasiAtacama, Manager at Awasi Patagonia - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Mrs. Melissa,

First and foremost, thank you very much for taking out the time out of your busy post-vacation schedule to allow us into the experience you had.

We most definitely remember you and your family and am glad that you all enjoyed your time with us. Not only was Miguel concerned for Mr. A but we all were. We understand how difficult it is to be away from your home and not feel well, especially when you are on vacation.
It was such a pleasure having your parents with us as well. We loved entertaining her while you, your husband and dad were off on your horseback riding excursion. By the way, Virginia sends her a warm greeting. The Master Villa, was definitely a great choice for you all as it very comfortable for families traveling together.

Please come back and see us at Awasi Atacama where you will be wowed by the beauty and majesty of the Atacama Desert. We will ensure to take great care of all of you there. If you have some time in the upcoming summer months, feel free to contact Elaine again and she can give you the details on the summer promotions for you and your family.

Warm Regards,

Placerville, California
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I'll start this review with my one major complaint re: AWASI Patagonia.
I had planned this trip for well-over a year....you know "the trip of a lifetime thing". Researched all accommodations in and around Torres Del Paine nat'l park....read all reviews and recommendations.....ultimately settled on AWASI. I understood that the lodge had just opened in Nov. 2013 so I expected to encounter a few minor hiccoughs during my stay.....Boy was I ever surprised! And yes, I knew that this property had recently been endorsed by the premium rating agency "Relais and Chateau" so shouldn't have been so caught-off-guard by the actual reality.
As a mature female solo traveler coming all the way to Chile from Northern CA, I was just a little unsure as to what to expect. No worries! Upon arrival was warmly greeted by lodge manager Rosario, who personally escorted me to my very own "villa" explaining a typical days "routine" as we toured the facility. Bottom line, you as the guest determine the Daily routine". You have your own dedicated, professional and knowledgeable guide along with a new Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 SUV. Both at your disposal 24x7. It was this fact alone that convinced me this was the lodge for me.
Getting back to my major complaint....from the moment of arrival to my departure, I was made to feel totally welcome, cared for and felt completely at home.
Accommodations, service, cuisine, trekking and excursions were beyond expectations! I never did experience the "minor hiccoughs" in fact, this lodge functioned like it had been in operation forever. Smooth, flawless service with friendly, helpful staff and just overall a great general ambiance.
Major issue as a result of my stay at this exquisite lodge.......totally spoiled and will expect this same treatment wherever I stay on future travels. Traveled a fair amount, stayed in some wonderful 5-star hotels and lodgings, but AWASI Patagonia has to be the very best experience ever!
Kudos to all staff and management and thank you for the great time at AWASI Patagonia.

Room Tip: All villas have a equally great view of the "3 towers" amazing views.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Nursebette
Dear Guest,

Talk about a way to capture our attention with the title. I admit, I kept on reading sentence after sentence, waiting for it to hit me like a bucket of cold water and luckily, it was a great “complaint” you had.

We sure aim to please and overall, are just ecstatic to know that your solo experience traveling to the Chilean Patagonia was a great success. Not many people dare to do it on their own but we certainly welcome the solo travelers, and you want to know why? Because at Awasi, you are never alone! We will ensure to take care of you like family.

We just hope that you may venture off a bit more and return to enjoy the Awasi experience, elsewhere. How about the World’s driest desert? Yes, Awasi Atacama will definitely be the place for you and now that we are running great promotions for this upcoming Summer (May to Sept.), feel free to reach out and book your next trip with us.

Warmest of Regards,

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 28, 2014

My wife and I spent five nights at Awasi Patagonia in mid-March and it was a fantastic experience. The property is excellent, the staff well trained and helpful. We did excursions daily and they were well planned and executed without a flaw.

If it wasn't so far, we would be there now.

Room Tip: All of the 12 villas are equally excellent. We had the one located the furthest from the lodge and i...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gary55359
Dear Gary,

We appreciate you taking out the time to provide us with your comments. Glad that your five nights with us was a great success and that you enjoyed your time at the Chilean Patagonia.

We hope you can celebrate with us once more “Gary’s Day”, just as we did this year. That was definitely unexpected but we aim to please. It’d be great to share new memories with you once more.

Best Regards,