Salto Chico was the final leg of our Explora experience having enjoyed the delights of Rapa Nui to begin our trip followed by a visit to San Pedro de Atacama. I was travelling with friends who are regular Explora guests and they were concerned that they may have raised my expectations of Salto Chico too high. Not a problem, if anything my expectations were exceeded.
We arrived in early June, 2012 (yes I am very slow at writing this review!) and there were only a small number of other guests. The hotel is spacious but even with such a small number of us it still felt intimate and cosy.
My room was superb. Spacious and comfortable, great bathroom but the best feature was the incredible views across the lake to the mountains. Waking up each morning to such views was inspiring and I could hardly wait to get started with the day's excursion.
The daily excursions were organised the evening before, though at this time of year weather could sometimes cause a change of plans as some were physically challenging. The guides were all well informed and at least bi-lingual which was necessary as my Spanish was limited to a few social phrases. I love trekking and the day walks I did were among the most enjoyable I have experienced. The hotel's location in the centre of the Torres del Paine park is ideal and gives access to a great variety of landscapes with abundant opportunities to observe the local wildlife.
The meals provided were first class. The menus for each meal were limited but included enough variety to provide everyone a choice. The staff in the restaurants were friendly and very efficient. I was anxiously awaiting news of the arrival of a new grandchild and when the happy day arrived a few days before our departure the kitchen produced a nice treat to help me celebrate.
Salto Chico is a great hotel in and unbelievably beautiful location - well worth a visit, but do not make it short as even after our 8 nights I was reluctant to leave and there were attractions I had not seen.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our lodge is located right in the heart of the extraordinary Torres del Paine National Park in southern Patagonia. The diverse and untouched landscapes of this area led UNESCO to declare it a biosphere reserve.Our Patagonia hotel lodge opened in 1993 on the banks of the Salto Chico waterfall. It affords an excellent view of the unique Paine Massif and two of the three impressive torres, or towers, which give the park its name.The lodge has 49 rooms and a variety of inviting spaces. Situated on a 3-hectare (7.4-Acre) site, the design borrows certain organic forms from the landscape itself, adapting to it with simple elegance. It was designed to create a dialogue with its environment, putting human beings in touch with the sublimity of their surroundings.For travellers, the lodge provides the welcome surprise of comfort in a remote area. Nonetheless, you are not isolated from nature, but rather placed "within" it. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your explora Patagonia - All Inclusive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Explora Patagonia Hotel Salto Chico
- Explora Patagonia Torres Del Paine
- Explora Patagonia - All Inclusive Aisen Region/Torres Del Paine National Park, Chile