“Exploration & Adventure With A bit of Luxury Thrown In”

explora Patagonia - All Inclusive
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Explora Patagonia is a property I have always wanted to visit. So, when the opportunity presented itself (I am in the travel business) I jumped on it. If you have an interest in exploration, adventure and nature this is the place for you. This is not exactly the easiest place in the world to get to (if you have any questions about getting to and from Explora feel free to contact me). I arrived in Punta Arenas, Chile (via Santiago) from New York. I was immediately met by a representative from Explora and from this point on; I didn’t have to worry about a thing. Explora Patagonia is an all inclusive which means you pay one price and everything is included such as meals, excursions, transportation and even the wine!
I met up with some other travelers also arriving and we were loaded up into a van for our 5 hour journey through the valleys and mountains into the Torres del Paine National Park and Explora Patagonia. Unfortunately, due to the flight being delayed, the last half of the drive was in darkness.
Upon arriving at the property we were graciously met by the General Manager, Carlos. The hotel is actually called the Salto Chico Lodge and it is literally perched right next to the Salto Chico Waterfalls however I usually refer to this property “Explora Patagonia”.
Rooms
All of the rooms at this property are very similar in size and set up with the difference being the view. There are a couple of junior suites which are larger but on average the rooms are on the small side. They are cozy and simply designed. They have excellent beds and bedding. Very comfy. Crawling into the bed after a glass of tasty Chilean wine and a long day of hiking was divine! The bathroom is also on the small side (only room for one person) however I noticed that there was never a lack of hot water for showering and the water pressure was excellent, not to mention the in room Jacuzzi which is also a nice perk after a day of hiking and/or horseback riding. By the end of my stay I realized that the only time I actually spent in my room was to shower and sleep so the size ultimately did not matter. Clearly, the owners of the property took the important things into consideration: The Bed and the shower!
One of the most amazing moments for me was the first morning I woke up and rolled up my blind. Because I arrived in the dark of night, I had no idea what to expect out of my window. The view took my breath away. The mountain peaks just outside my window were spectacular. From then on, I slept with my blinds open so I could lie in bed in the morning watching the sun rise on these beautiful mountain peaks.
Food & Service
It is hard to understand how this property, located many hours drive from any town or civilization, is able to serve a fresh, enjoyable menu. Breakfasts consisted of European buffet with meats, cheese, breads, muffins, grains, etc. in addition to a full menu from which you could order eggs, waffles, etc. Coffee, like wine, is a different experience depending on where you might find yourself in the world. The coffee at Explora Patagonia was delicious! The menu changed daily for lunches and dinners, always with a vegetarian choice on the menu. All in all the food was pretty darn good. I always like to point out I live in New York City and enjoy a different restaurant on average 5 nights a week so I am a tough critic when it come to food. I was shocked at the quality of the salads. Where on earth are they getting these fresh ingredients in the middle of Patagonia! And as I mentioned before, the never-ending flow of excellent Chilean wine also adds to this satisfying dining experience. There are also days where you might enjoy a full day hike and so your lunch becomes a picnic lunch served somewhere interesting during your hike. These picnic lunches were also very enjoyable, sitting out doors, enjoying the view and noshing on some interesting salads, sandwiches, etc. The service level was very good in the restaurant and within the hotel. At no point did I ever feel my needs were not being met in anyway. Everyone is incredibly friendly and the guides were great too.

Exploration & Experience
As I mentioned previously, this is a destination of adventure and exploration (and amazing scenery). The property offers a myriad of hikes and walks and horseback riding for all age groups and capabilities. To be honest, I was a bit nervous before my trip about my level of fitness for my visit to Explora Patagonia. However, I soon realized that they tailor everything to each travelers needs. It was a bit intimidating at first not knowing what to expect on the hikes so I enjoyed the fact that I could work my way into it. For example, on the first day I broke up my day into a very enjoyable ½ day walk which was about 3-4 hours, returned to the lodge for lunch and then went on a 2 hour horseback riding excursion. During my stay I worked myself up to taking the full day 9 hour hike to the Grey Glacier, the highlight of my trip. So if you have a concern about being capable, don’t. If you enjoy walking and scenery, you will enjoy this experience.
Each evening, before dinner, guests tend to gather in the wine bar area, where they will enjoy a glass of wine with some savory appetizers while talking about their current days adventure with other guests, use the internet and discuss and explore with the guides plans for the following day. I called this my “Patagonia Happy Hour”. This is an environment (similar to a safari) where you easily meet and chat with other travelers. You will often be grouped with others during hikes and the intimate happy hour atmosphere is quite enjoyable since everyone is experiencing the same excitement of their day.
On one of my days at Explora I decided to stay at the hotel after lunch and arranged a massage. Carmen was my masseuse and I was pleasantly surprised. Because of my business, I travel extensively to luxury resorts and rarely book a massage. Living in New York I am spoiled by having one of the best masseuses. So needless to say I am usually disappointed paying an excessive amount of money to receive an average massage. Carmen did not disappoint and I found the price to be reasonable at $130.00 USD. I also took the time to enjoy the hot tub and indoor pool.
Overview
Overall, this is an unusual experience for individuals seeking something different. I was at the hotel in May when the peak season is winding down. At the end of my stay, Carlos, the manager, took me on a tour of the lodge and explained that the hotel would be closing for a period of time this summer where they would be making some major improvements to the communal area of the hotel including the bar and dining room and also the sleeping rooms. It all sounded very exciting and for those of you considering a visit in the future, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised. If you have any questions about my experiences or would like recommendations please feel free to drop me a line, I am happy to help.

Room Tip: contact me and i can help
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank aprotraveler

Reviewed June 14, 2011

What an amazing property.
The location is priceless- no value can be put on the view from your room..... snow capped mountains & icy blue waters.
My room was quite large with a lovely bathroom that offered a deep spa bath which was great after a day of walking.
The staff in the restaurant were lovely- Carolina was a wonderful host who always made sure that we were all taken care of.
The food was fantastic- 5 star.
Horse riding was my favourite activity & the horses are trained very well.
Go & experience this unique paradise- it's worth every cent.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank MSCBrisbane
exploraSA, CEO / Gerente General at explora Patagonia - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2011

Dear traveler,

We are very grateful for your kind review. Thank you!

Thank you for pointing out our stable and horses. The explora Equestrian Experiences are geared for riders novice through advanced. Guests delve deep into the Atacama Desert or Torres del Paine National Park in Patagonia on English and Chilean saddles. The latter, designed for comfort by explora founder, Pedro Ibáñez, is affectionately known as “the couch.”

Remember that after visiting one explora lodge, you are entitled to the benefits of our CESA - Club Exploradores del Sur de América - a recognition program with benefits including rate discounts and room upgrades for repeat guests.

With kind regards,

Jesús Parrilla

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Superlatives cannot do justice to the view from my bedroom window at Explora, I never tired of just looking ! Sunset, sunrise, reflections in the lake, condors and those quite
indescribable mountains...amazing. Yes it's a long way from anywhere but more than worth the trip. The hotel runs like clockwork, the food is good, the beds comfy, and
'friendships' quickly develop amongst like minded travellers. The guides accommodated
everyone regardless of the differing fitness levels, no if's or but's they just did it, and couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.
I have itchy feet and travel round the world - I had been to Sth America before but had long had Patagonia on my list of to do's before I die - I went, I am still talking about it...I shall go back...Explora you have worked very hard to get the best out of this quite unforgetable experience .....you succeeded.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank shabbychic
exploraSA, CEO / Gerente General at explora Patagonia - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2011

Thank you so much for posting your comments about your stay at explora Patagonia. We are pleased to hear that your experience was an unforgettable one. We are even more excited to hear that you as a solo traveler found it easy to develop friendship with fellow travelers. We have seen an increase on the number of solo travelers on the basis that we have worked hard on providing a conducive environment for those opting to share with other travelers that share same interests and are generally well-traveled and cultured.

We would also like to offer you our sincere appreciations for your kind review and for putting a good word about explora. Word of mouth is a key component of our success, with well over 60% of the travelers coming to explora based on friends´ referral.
We look forward to seeing you in the near future and please remember that you are now entitled to the benefits for returning travelers.

explora Team

Reviewed April 12, 2011

We arrived at the Explora with very little idea of what it was going to be like. Our travel agent, (wonderful Meike, at Imagine Latin America) had said that if we did nothing else in South America we had to stay here. How right she was! Initially I was put off when we booked because you have to arrive on a specified day and then stay for a minimum of four days, all dictated by the hotel. However once you get to Explora, all becomes obvious. The transfer from anywhere to the Explora is a minimum of 4-5 hours, so they co-ordinate all the arrivals and departures to make sure they have as many guides as possible guiding you on the treks, not driving people to airports or borders.
Each evening, everyone meets for drinks in the lounge and to decide what trek/ride you want to do the the next day. A maximum of 8 people is in any one group and if nobody else picks your selection, then it is you and your own private guide. We met a selection of lovely, interesting people who all shared a common passion for adventure and the great outdoors. All our meals were fantastic and varied and the Chilean wine excellent. The view from our room was amazing of the mountain peaks in the distance and the lake in-front. The guides were all so passionate about their location and Explora. They were so well trained and full of enthusiasm. Not once did we hear the word NO, to a request. During our stay we met a delightful, older couple, (Shirley and Bernie, in their late 70's) They took part in all the treks, one was 18k, and the guides adjusted their pace to allow for children, older folks or young athletes. All ages and abilities were catered for, they just wanted you to enjoy the surrounding nature as much as they obviously do. Would love to come back with the whole family! The riding was great too.

Room Tip: Pack layers and good walking boots.
5  Thank fleetoffoot
exploraSA, CEO / Gerente General at explora Patagonia - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2011

On behalf of explora and the team in Patagonia, we would like to thank you for posting your comments about your experience at explora Patagonia.

We are thrilled to learn that you were not one of those travelers that desist or give up on explora because of the perceived operational rigidity. In the front end, we are often confronted with unhappy potential clients who have a hard time understanding why we do things on a certain way.

Everything that we do, for as significant or annoying as it may seem, has a reason that plays on or has a direct impact on the experience our travelers have. The minimum stay, the check-in dates, the activities, the all-inclusive proposition are all a part of maximizing the great outdoors at Torres del Paine while removing the concerns associated with being in a very remote destination. Thus, allowing travelers to connect with themselves (and disconnect from our mundane life), with travel companions and fellow travelers.

We have accumulated a wealth of knowledge of the years and remain committed to showing Torres del Paine the way we believe it should be shown - with sufficient time, well-planned and carefully executed activities by the hand of knowledge and passionate staff. Observations like yours reinforce our beliefs

Because of travelers like you and travel professionals like our friends at Imagine Latin America, we are here for the long run.

Our heartfelt gratitude for taking the time to post your comments and look forward to welcoming you and your family back at explora Patagonia.

Yours truly.

Reviewed April 8, 2011

Torres del Paine National Park in Chile is one of the most stunningly attractive natural destinations that I have ever been lucky enough to visit (and I have seen quite a few amazing places during my travels, which have taken me to locations across all 7 continents). If you would like to visit this National Park in style, you absolutely must stay at Explora Patagonia. I would be surprised if you weren't absolutely delighted!

Torres del Paine National Park lies in Southern Chile, in the region referred to as Patagonia. It is an area of spectacular natural beauty, comprising mountains, glaciers and lakes, and is a popular hiking destination. The park is about a 2 hour drive from the nearest town, such that your options are to either stay within the National Park or travel for 4hrs each day (just to get to and from the park). Within the park, the options include camping or a choice of 3-5 star hotel options. None of the hotel options are cheap, so I recommend either camping (if that suits you and is the type of holiday you are after) or staying with the best there is - Explora, which in my opinion is the best value for money option for those who do not wish to camp.

I can assure you I do not usually travel 5 star. I always fly economy, and I usually stay in youth hostels, B&Bs, or small 3-star accommodations. While I used to be happy with dorm or share rooms at hostels, I admit I now prefer a double with either share or preferably private facilities (I must be getting old!). So why did I find myself staying in a 5-star hotel!! Well, for the part of the trip I was on, I wanted to spoil myself a little, and in this case, it was travel hours every day to get to the National Park (yuck!), camp (great option if I hadn't been going for the spoil myself a little option) or spend a lot of money (none of the accommodation options in the park are cheap). For not a lot more money than the others, Explora was rated as the best. Well, after my experience with them, I may stay in a 5-star again in the not too distant future.

Explora is nothing like a 5-star hotel in a big city. It is not 5-star due to amenities like TV/fax/minibar etc. Rather it is stylish architecture in wonderful surrounds with delightful staff, attention to detail and an all-inclusive program of guided walks through amazing landscapes with delicious meals and drinks (the pisco sours were sublime) supplied. Gazing out of the dining room to the majestic mountains will truly leave you speechless, while I can't imagine many things more peaceful than sitting back in the outdoor heated spas looking out over the lake.

I thoroughly recommend visiting this pristine corner of the world, and can promise a wonderful 5-star experience with Explora. Treat yourself - you won't regret it!

Please note: I stayed in this hotel in Decemeber 2006 and originally posted this review on another website - I am only adding it to trip advisor now. The date of stay section however, would not allow me to indicate that long back. I'm fairly sure this hotel will still be amazing. Recent reviews seem to say so!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aussie_gal_08
exploraSA, CEO at explora Patagonia - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience at explora Patagonia. Even though it has been 4 years since your trip to explora, your description of what you managed to see and experienced remain true to this day. Reviews like yours are the source of inspiration to committed staff and helps us carry on our dream of showing Patagonia and South America to travelers all over the World. We look forward to seeing you in the future and our sincere appreciation to you. All the best!

Reviewed March 27, 2011

I don't know if there are enough accoloades to express how truly amazing the Explora Patagonia is. They offer accomodations (which include all your meals, beverages, and park tours) on a four day rotation. From the minute we were picked up at our hotel in Punta Arenas for transfer, until we returned there four days later, the Explora staff did not miss a beat. The location of this hotel is on the Salto Chico waterfall, overlooking the Horns, with the Towers in the background. It is nothing short of breathtaking. We were fortunate to have clear skies all four days, so we returned home with over 200 photos of the stunning scenery and vistas the park has to offer. Each evening the staff would meet with the guests and help us plan our activities for the next day. The choices were varied, and all proved wonderful. The guides were well informed and professional. Rosario, the general manager, runs a flawless operation. Many thanks and cudos to her and her staff. We loved every moment. It was without a doubt, the highlight of our three week adventure in Chile.

3  Thank go2fun

Thank you very much for your review. We are pleased to hear that your experience at explora Patagonia was a pleasant one and that you were able to notice the many elements that make explora and explora Patagonia a special experience. Travelers like you push us to continue to do all we need to do to ensure we deliver upon our commitment to excellent service. Individuals such as Rosario Villagra, guides, support staff are very cognizant of the fact that among the many travel options available to you, explora is one of them and as such we have to continue to stand out. We have been in this business for over 18 years and continue to be thrilled about our destination, our programs and the opportunity to serve you. We look forward to seeing you again at explora Patagonia or any other of our destinations. Safe travels!

Reviewed March 23, 2011

I don't think anything can truly prepare you for the location of this hotel, it really is breathtaking - my recommendation would be to pay the extra and get the view of the mountains rather than the waterfall.
Everything at this hotel is pretty well drilled, from the military style organisation of the pick ups, through to the way they plan out the organistion of the following day's activities.
If we were to single out one particular highlight (apart from the scenery) it would be the barbecue, don't miss it, and the afternoon horseriding for beginners from the barbecue site was really good fun.
If there is one minor criticism it is that the hotel was very full when we stayed there and on occasions the dining room service did falter which is not something one would expect in an establishment of this quality and price. However, that's a minor comment that should in no way detract from this outstanding hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor and for pointing out where we can improve. In reference to your comment regarding the dining room experience, we do realize that we have many areas of improvement and in the spirit of our company of continuously enhancing customer experiences we will be tackling several key opportunities. For your information and along the lines of what you noted, we have identified the dining area as an action item that can make an extraordinary difference to the overall experience. As such, our lodge will undergo important renovations during June and July 2011 among which, the upstairs dining room and downstairs lounge area will experience a major improvement in terms of infrastructure, furniture and overall set up. Thank you again for taking the time to post your review and rest assured that your comments are very important to us. Sincerely.