“2nd Choice is a Winner!”

Tierra Patagonia Hotel & Spa
Bethel Park, PA
“2nd Choice is a Winner!”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We were booked to visit Expllora lodge and due to the forest fires - our travel agent recommended Tierra Patagonia. We were hesitant given that we knew it has just opened. It is fabulous - we can't say enough about the guides. We hiked 4 days and enjoyed each hike. Our guides were Chris "Kangaroo", Jose from Santiago and Kine. Our hike with Kine to Base of the Towers was one of the most spectacular things we've ever done. She was great the whole way and we truly enjoyed the day. Jose and Chris were equally skilled and enjoyable.

We found the food to be very good given the limitations of their location. The wine could definitely be improved upon. The staff was definitely working out the kinks but were dedicated and wanted you to be satisfied. We enjoyed having drinks in the great room with the views and the fireplace.

The pool was fantastic. Our room was very comfortable and the view was unmatched. The bathroom was roomy.

Everyone - drivers, front desk, management, dining room staff, guides - is committed to your quality experience. We would definitely recommend Tierra Patagonia and look forward to being able to visit Tierra Atacama.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Cecilia T, Guest Service at Tierra Patagonia Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 17, 2016
Guest Service - Tierra Hotels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2012

TIERRA PATAGONIA HOTEL & SPA

A spectacular new hotel overlooking Lake Sarmiento and the world famous peaks of Torres del Paine.

OVERVIEW:

It is hard to know where to start. Everything about this hotel is amazing.

Firstly there is the spectacular location and uninterrupted views of Lake Sarmiento and the world famous peaks of Torres del Paine.

Then there is the hotel itself. A stunning piece of modern architecture that hugs the shore of the lake and blends into the rugged landscape that is Patagonia.

And last, but by no means least, there is the dedicated team of guides and support staff who made my stay so enjoyable.

Add this hotel to your list of places to go and stay. You won’t regret it!

WELCOME:

Having spent the last 12 months living and working in Chile, I promised myself a trip to Patagonia before packing my bags and returning to the UK. Unfortunately my girlfriend couldn’t accompany me so I travelled alone. The staff couldn’t have been more welcoming.

I had previously stayed in Tierra Patagonia’s sister hotel in the Atacama Desert and so I had a fair idea of what to expect, but I have to say my expectations were exceeded.

The manager, Chris Purcell, greeted me with a warm “so nice to see you again Mr Stoneman” (it seems he had remembered me from my previous stay at Tierra Atacama) and offered to show me around the hotel and introduce me to the head guide, Natalia. Within a few minutes we were all on first name terms.

Later that evening Chris and Natalia joined me at the bar and helped me choose the excursions for the next few days. As it was coming towards end of season and the hotel wasn’t full, Natalia told me that there was no need to worry about fitting in with the excursions chosen by other guests and that if I wanted to do something different there was driver and guide at my disposal.

As it worked out, I shared two of the five excursions with other guests and the remainder were one-on-one with a guide (see below).

LIVING ROOM:

Life at Tierra Patagonia is centred around the "living room" which houses a library, lounge, bar and dining area. It’s warm, casual and friendly.

Breakfast was generally taken in walking or riding gear before heading out for that day’s excursion but despite the unpretentious atmosphere most people made an effort and dressed-up a little for dinner.

ACCOMMODATION:

The rooms are warm and stylish. Every room enjoys an uninterrupted view of Lake Sarmiento and Torres del Paine. A little window between the bedroom and bathroom (complete with blind for the more modest guests) even allows you to enjoy the view of the Torres from bath!

There is no wi-fi in the rooms in order to tempt guests in to the “living room” where they can access the free wi-fi, enjoy a drink and chat with fellow guests. I wasn’t sure at first, but by day two I was converted and thought it a nice idea. After all you go to somewhere like Patagonia to relax not spend hours catching up on emails from the office.

FOOD & DRINK:

Breakfast is a buffet affair with a choice of several hot dishes (bacon, eggs, omelette etc) cooked to order.

Lunch (if you are not out on an excursion) and dinner offer a choice of two or three starters, main courses and deserts. Considering that the hotel is miles from anywhere, and the ingredients need to be imported over long distances, the quality was great. There was also a good choice of complimentary wines, beers and soft drinks.

As several other reviewers have commented the packed lunches for excursions could be improved both in terms of content and presentation. That said – at the end of each day’s excursion our driver was normally waiting for us with a welcoming drink and picnic of ham, cheese, fruit and nuts – so I don’t want to make too big a deal of the lunch. It is a NOT big point and I know Chris and the team are working on it so I think you can expect to see some improvements for the 2012/2013 season.

POOL & SPA:

The hotel has an indoor pool and spa area. I have to confess I was a little disappointed by the two massages I had.

EXCURSIONS:

There is a huge choice of excursions and guests can select either two “half day” excursions (with lunch at the hotel between) or one “full day” excursion per day. I chose three full day and two “half day” horse riding excursions with some downtime in the spa in between:

Base of the Torres: A 10 hour “full day” excursion (with José) to the base of the Torres. You cannot go to Patagonia and not do this world famous trek. Rated difficult.

French Valley: A 10 hour “full day” excursion (with Chris) to another world famous spot. Rated difficult.

Paso de la Guitarra: An 8 hour “full day” excursion (with Filipe) over the hills and around the shores of three different lakes. Rated medium.

Estancia Cerro Guido: I had only ever ridden once before and that wasn’t a pleasant experience so it was with some trepidation that I set out on a “half day” excursion to Estancia Cerro Guido but I needn’t have worried as the guides (Filepe and Chris) and the Gauchos made sure I had a good time. So good in fact that I went back again another day. Rated easy.

LANGUAGE:

The hotel manager, receptionists and guides were more than happy to converse with me in English (my native language) or Spanish (my girlfriends native language) but a little Spanish certainly came in useful when talking to the waiters, bar and other hotel staff.

AND FINALLY:

A big thank you to the whole team who were so warm and friendly.

Head guide Natalia, helped me plan and organise my stay perfectly, and would typically greet me each day with a warm Chilean-style kiss on the cheek.

My guides José (from Santiago), Filipe (from Patagonia) and Chris Theobald (from the UK / Australia) shared their unique perspectives and experiences, and made me laugh on many occasions – and still managed to raise a smile after a fairly gruelling 10 hour trek to the base of the Torres.

The manager, Chris Purcell, ensured I did not eat alone and invited me to join him and other staff or guests for dinner on a couple of occasions, and Chris Theobald and I shared a very pleasant lunch swapping stories and photos (and yes, Chris, I DID make it to New York with Gloria).

SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT:

As with my stay at Tierra Atacama the booking process wasn’t as smooth as it should have been (with confusion about which treks were open and which treks were closed after the fire) but this was resolved when I got to the hotel and Natalia made sure I got to do and see everything I wanted.

I had the most amazing time and I would recommend both Tierra Atacama and Tierra Patagonia to anyone.

DATES

I stayed at Tierra Atacama for 5 nights on 4 March 2012 – 9 March 2012.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Adventura1405
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Unfortunately with this kind of price range, even the smallest mistakes are unforgivable. We were expecting far better service and food for one thing.

The tours were poorly organized and being a horse fanatic, I was not impressed with the ones we were provided with.

Overall the property is nice, but the view from cuernos del paine is far more astonishing than the one from the torres.

Definitely overpriced for this level of service and quality of food. We had friends who stayed at the Explora and were disappointed we did not follow their advice.

15 Thank Frank R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2012

My wife and I had originally booked to stay at Explora Lodge in Chile's Torres del Paine in late January 2012, but wildfires in the National Park and smoke damage to Explora meant that we (and many other Explora refugees) had to rebook into Tierra Patagonia at the last minute. Tierra Patagonia had only opened just before Christmas and the staff had not expected to have so many guests quite so soon. Was this a problem? Most certainly not.
Tierra Patagonia is a newly built hotel. Low-rise and with vast amounts of wood in its construction, it clings to the landscape in a way that echoes the Patagonian shrubs which keep close to the ground to get away from the prevailing high winds. Everything is built from local materials.
Our en-suite room was superb in every respect, with the most wonderful view over Lago Sarmiento to the Torres del Paine. Everything worked perfectly.
Indoor pool, sauna etc were great.
We were all-inclusive and the food and drinks (especially G&Ts) were all that we could have wanted.
There was a good range of walks, each of which entailed an initial bit of travel on unmade roads in a 4x4 (a bit ouch, but not too bad), and we were able to go on any of them that we chose. We had fantastic weather and had a truly unforgettable time.
The staff were all really friendly and helpful, and lent us an iPad for our stay so that we could keep in touch with our family back home.
If we ever manage to go to South America again, we would certainly return to Tierra Patagonia for more sheer bliss and, no, I am not being paid to write this review!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank richard67gilpin
New Jersey
Reviewed April 12, 2012

As other reviewers have commented, this is a beautifully designed hotel with a spectacular view (particularly at sunrise) of the massif reflecting in the lake. Swimming in the LARGE pool with spectacular views was a highlight at the end of the day. Unlike many other hotels in the area, it had a handicapped accessible room and the staff made every effort to accommodate my husband. The staff were cheerful and enthusiastic and took pride in being part of this great new venture. The guides were outstanding. They love Torres del Paine and the surrounding area and loved sharing it with enthusiastic visitors. The restaurant was not yet up to the quality of the rest of the hotel, but the manager is committed to improving and made it a point to personally talk to guests for feedback. Being outside the park now is a great advantage since they have several alternative trips to take the place of fire-ravaged areas in the park. The recent fire has destroyed a very large area around EXplora and other hotels who are now searching for alternative activities. Tierra Patagonia was, in all respects, a great experience and we would recommend it whole-heartedly.
On our plane ride home, we met a woman with her leg in a cast. She and her husband (who were not staying at Tierra Patagonia) were hiking on their own when she took a terrible fall, breaking several bones in her leg and ankle. One of the Tierra Patagonia guides took charge, reassured her that they would get her down the mountain and organized a group to rescue her. They were immensely grateful.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a great view. Waking to see the massif reflecting in the lake was a great start...
3 Thank kangatashi
Miami
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Still in it's infancy and still getting things right but the spectacular location, the incredible design of the hotel and sublime spa help you to overlook the few things that are wrong.

The food is average at best - well presented plates served in a stunning dining area but it is poorly made by clearly someone who isn't a great foodie. The wine is OK but if you are looking for premium wines, none are in stock. It may well be that getting getting in fresh food limits the kitchen's ability to produce a better standard of food but even so, it needs to better.

The people who work at TP are all wonderfully engaging and work as best as they can within obvious limitations. There arn't enough guides, for example, to enable tailor made days out. Groups of people are bundled together regardless of fitness, experience or expectation.

But, overall its a magical place that without a doubt is poised to open next season in great shape. Its owner managed and its obvious that they want to do a great job making sure you have the best time in Patagonia.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank khuckerMiami
Cecilia T, Guest Service at Tierra Patagonia Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 26, 2016
Dear khuckerMiami:
Thank you very much for your great review.
Hopefully we will have the plasure of welcoming you back sometime soon.
Warm regards,
Brighton
Reviewed March 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed 4 nights at this fabulous hotel. Like several other reviewers our travel agent suggested this hotel after the fires in the Park. We were delighted it is very modern wood and glass structure all the rooms have a fabulous view of a lake Torres del Paine in the distance. Rooms are very comfortable, kingsize beds separate bath and shower twin sinks. Lovely Spa with indoor infinity pool. It is an all inclusive hotel you only have to pay for 'Premium Wines'. Breakfast is typical hotel style buffet, lunch and dinner are three courses two choices - I am sure if you had special requirements they would accommodate you. Your package also includes excursions into the Park the head guide discusses your requirements and selects a 'package' for you - on two of our trips we had a knowledable guide to ourselves and the groups are never more than about 8 guests to a guide. All staff and guides are Spanish and English speakers.
The large open plan lounge/bar/restaurant is a lovely gathering point to look out at the amazing view and enjoy a 'free' glass of wine. If we are ever go back to Torres del Paine this will be our first choice hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice, furthest away from the lounge would mean less people going past - but it is not...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Grinders13
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your review!
Guest Service - Tierra Patagonia