“Almost frustrated New Year´s Eve - Overpriced simple food”
Review of Rio Serrano Hotel

Rio Serrano Hotel
Porto Alegre
“Almost frustrated New Year´s Eve - Overpriced simple food”
Reviewed January 12, 2010

I just got back from a trip through great Patagonia, always staying in (I supose) good hotel.
As I got at Rio Serrano, my first suprise: the hotel is not INSIDE the Park, which makes you pay extra days in the park if your stay more than 2 nights (we stayed 3).
My second, terrible suprise: I got at the hotel, it was kind of surprise to my husband and friends on Dec 30, and the hotel couldn´t find our reservations (made since september and fully pre paid on november). After almost 2 hours waiting in the lobby they finally got us a rooms (looking like it was a favor to us). The room was very good, large, with a great view of the mountains (it had 2 queen beds, instead 1 king as I reserved).
In this same night, at 9:40pm we went to the restaurant (thar supose to serve until 10pm). Our new suprise: every plate were empty, there were no more food. When we asked the waiter he said in five minutes we would be served... More 10 minutes and nothing. After 10:15pm the decided to serve us on table.... almost raw food, uneatable!! And, of course, they wanted to charge us US$ 50,00 per person for no eating at all.
At the same night I want to speak with the menager, a woman called Prisca (or something like this, as she did not introdude herself of gave us her card). She was amasingly apathetic, no atitude at all.
The other nights were ok. We had breakfast three nights there (their food is very weak, nothing special that worth more than US$ 20,00 (instead of US$ 50,00) and had a New Year´s dinner there (charged US$ 100,00 for the same kind of food plus wine).
I would go back just because the room is very good, but service? They have to learn a lot (thay could have lessons with theis patagonian colleages in Argentina).
** just to mention: I'm a travel agent, and really dod not want a client going through this!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LuGarcia
, Director de Recepción at Rio Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Dear guest;
We regret that your experience at Rio Serrano has not been to your liking. Since the publication of this comment we have made changes to correct these situations.
If your destination is Chilean Patagonia again we invite you to enjoy a new experience with us. We assure you the best view of the Paine massif and an excellent service as our guests deserve.

Greetings from Chilean Patagonia
Hotel Rio Serrano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Zurich
Reviewed December 24, 2009

We stayed there for 3 nights in December 2009 and were amazed by the view - right out of our room a perfect view on the mountains of Torres del Paine. BUT... we paid ONLY for this view...

The service was really bad, no, it was crap! We ordered a lunch packet - we couldn't at 7pm the evening before as we were too late. So we ordered one for in 2 days. Fine, they forgot about it (we are fluent in Spanish and ordered in their own language). We ordered that morning again for in 30 mins. They forgot AGAIN. Not sure what they were thinking. As our rooms were not made properly for 2 nights in 2 rooms, I spoke to the manager. She didn't care a lot, organized some breakfast to take away (which we already ordered ourselfs as they forgot our lunch package) and thought we were happy with that.

Dinner... they didn't have a menu, only 1 set menu. No price on it. The food was very average and not above. 50 USD per person, very steep. Wines were also too expensive. BUT: There is a nice and inexpensive restaurant just next door (you can see it from the breakfast/dinner room). We recommend to go there for dinner. DON'T stay in the hotel for dinner. Unless you don't care about paying 50 USD for an average meal.

By the way: We are on a trip around the world, so have seen many places, inexpensive and expensive. We are very sorry we definately can't recommend this place...

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank rtwtraveller18

Greetings from Chilean Patagonia
Hotel Rio Serrano
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed December 19, 2009

The place is beautiful and the room was very nice, except that the windows were dirty, which detracted from the pretty view, but they charged us more than $75 in tax for one night, which is against Chilean policy. Tourists paying with US dollars are not supposed to pay hotel tax in Chile. I've travelled there 20+ times and that was the first time I had ever been charged tax. When I mentioned that we should not pay it, they said we did have to pay it and that we'd get reimbursed in the Santaigo airport. In the Santiago airport, and I asked several people, I was told that Chile does not reimburse tourists, as some countries do, and that the hotel should not have charged the tax. So, I felt ripped off.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank queeenoftheroad
, Director de Recepción at Rio Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2017
Dear guest;

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about us on Trip Advisor. For us your opinion is very important to keep improving as an hospitality option in Torres del Paine.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2009

The Rio Serrano is a beautiful hotel. It is technically just outside the park in the Rio Serrano Area - Although it is a great area to be in. You have easy access to Lago Grey, The Lago Pehoe and Cuernos area.

We had an amazing and breathtaking view from our window - overlooking the entire Paine Massif - and the Cuernos which we were lucky enough to see everyday!

The room was modern, nicely furnished with great bathroom.

The food at the hotel was fanastic - great breakfast and dinner.

There are few marginal that could make this place amazing ...
The Packet lunch - although nice - was always a little late, a few more brochures in the room on what can be done (although the staff at the excursions office was very knowledgeable), and what services are available in the hotel.

I booked the hotel through Expedia and I think we had a good deal - as the prices in the park are not cheap. The Rio Serrano seems to me the best choice, with great rooms, vistas and food at a reasonable price. Much better lets say than the Hosteria Las Torres which was much more expensive and I personally think not quite as well located.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
, Director de Recepción at Rio Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2017
Dear Guest;

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of our hotel on Trip Advisor.

Parkland, Florida
Reviewed November 18, 2009

The new Hotel Rio Serrano, I say new, because most of the reviews on Tripadvisor were written before the hotel was taken over, and during the extensive renovations to make it the hotel it has now become.
The hotel claims to be the only 4 star hotel in the area. It is not IN the park, but at the entrance, and as near as most hotels that ARE in the park. For example Hotel Rio Serrano is the closest hotel to Hotel Lago Grey, and the boat ride to the glacier.
Hosteria Los Torres for example is at the other end of the park, and is probably at least an hours drive, and may be an hour and a half from Lago Grey.
I have criticism of Hotel Rio Serrano, but it is probably as centrally located as you can get.
To describe the hotel is difficult. The rooms are as modern as you can expect considering the location. The standard rooms have two twin beds, 22 square metres and look over the depressing car park. Not a very good choice, but $100 less than the superior rooms, which feature two queen beds and have a perfect view of the Towers (when the weather allows you to see them!), they are 35 square meters, and add a bath/shower as opposed to a shower only.
The superior rooms look immediately over bleak muddy, waterlogged terrain. In the middle distance is the River Serrano, but more noticeable is the hodge podge of random hostels, and buildings close by.
On a clear day the view of the Cuernos is as good as anywhere in the park.
The bar and lounge area are depressing, with cheap furniture and poor lighting. Likewise the restaurant.
Breakfast is drab and unimaginative, think American Interstate budget buffet.
The young Chilean staff are enthusiastic, and most speak English.
Like all hotels in TDP, and to most extent Chilean Patagonia, this is hunting season, and you the tourist are the prey.
Dinner in this, and all hotels is $50 per person, drinks are extra and are priced similarly exorbitantly. They do have bar snacks which range from $18 for a club sandwich, chicken ceasar salad or tuna salad.
Transfers around the park, from all the hotels, is more money than it costs to fly from one side of Europe to the other, or from the East to West coast of America, I joke not.
I strongly recommend that you stock up with soda’s, wine, snacks etc before you arrive.
Unless you have an unlimited budget, it is imperative that you rent a car.
Do not bring young children, they will hate you , and the nearest McDonalds is thousands of miles away.
The park is huge, and especially if you are back packing, it is impossible to cover the vast distances without a renal car, or a huge budget.
If you are back packing your budget and priorities are different, and you are probably not reading reviews of this hotel.
If however, like I was, you are researching a trip to TDP, then let me give you as much information as I can being on the ground here. Information I was not easily able to gather or understand when I was doing my research.
The “new road” to TDP from Puerto Natales, is new in terms of they just cut a shorter dirt track than the original. It is the worst road most of you will ever have experienced. But don’t be dissuaded, it is the same road that you will enter on if you arrange transfers from a travel agent, or bus from Puerto Natales.
You do not require 4x4, just take your time and bring a bottle of something strong for when you arrive. ( In fact do as I did and bring along wine, beer and booze! If you like a drink, a bottle of wine in P.Natales is $4 and up, a glass in TDP is $7 and up. A beer in PT is $0.70, in TDP it’s $5/7. A bottle of Bacardi is $6, a glass is $9 in TDP.
The roads in the park are not any better! 30 MPH is as good as it gets.
There are only four hotels in the park.
Lago Grey, Explora, Pehoe and Las Torres.
There are numerous camping sites, and many refugios if you are doing the multi day trekking.
There are only the hotels and the camp site at Lago Pehoe to eat at if you are not camping, prepare to take out a mortgage!
If you intend to spend more than one day in the park, DO NOT stay in P Natales and transfer daily.
In mid November I negotiated on arrival $255 per night superior with a view. Remota in PT wanted $370, Costaustralis wanted $255/300, and PT looked depressingly like a 1800’s gold rush town! Spend as little time in PT as possible, you came to see TDP, get there post haste, you will not be disappointed. I repeat, get to TDP as fast as possible, don’t spend a minute longer in PT as you need to.
My wife and I are late 50’s, she is 6 months post double hip surgery. Yet we managed several 5-8 mile day hikes without someone leading us by the hand.
I cannot understand why people need to have a guide lead them by the hand along well marked, heavily visited, easily recognized, day hikes.
The park gives a good map and each hotel offers great advise.
We spent a great day hiking (walking) Mirador Cuernos. 4 kilpometeres, 1-11/2 hours, easy, past a beautiful water fall, eventually ending underneath the Towers with a great vista.
Easy to find at Salto Grande, by the Pahoe catamaran. (The map you get at the park entrance has all the trekking routes and roads.)
Another easy day hike is from Lago Grey, walk across the suspension bridge down to the beach, then walk along the beach, where the blue icebergs have drifted in to shore.
Finally, a hike that we found was fantastic, and not usually posted on the maps. Follow your park map to Porteria y Guarderia Sarmiento, it is one of the entrances to the park. Park your car by the park office, where there are toilets.
Start your hike in front of the office to the left, and follow the marked path. After one hour you will see a group of large rocks, two or three hundred feet high in the near distance. There is a path leading to them, but it is like walking across a field, so make your own path. Walk around to the right side, and up to the rocks and you will come to an overhanging cave. On the roof there are prehistoric paintings of extinct animals! Continue a short distance to the top of the rocks and you have a view over 30 miles in every direction.
We enjoyed walking amongst hundreds of Guanaco, two foxes, a mother Rhea and her dozen chicks, pink flamingoes, geese with their chicks, wild stallions, it was an incredible 3 hour hike.
Unless you are Donald Trump, you do not need to pay an all included ridiculously inflated price for an all inclusive. You can walk all the hikes easily without being led by the hand, this is not Africa where a bull elephant is going to charge you, or a lion pounce on you. This is not Alaska where you might encounter a grizzly. The scariest thing you are likely to encounter is your freedom!
Enjoy this incredible remote wilderness before it is too late.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
11 Thank gabirds

Boston Massachusetts
Reviewed November 9, 2009

After reading the other reviews with interest it seems as though people are more aware of the other hotels on offer in and around the Torres del Paine park. I can only comment on the hotel that we stayed in which was the Hotel Rio Serrano. Being just outside the park it is less expensive than other hotels in the park and so is a little further to travel but not enough to make it a pain; we were too busy taking in the views and the wildlife! We found the hotel a pleasure to come back to after a day in the park, the staff were friendly and welcoming and the hotel had the cosy atmosphere it claimed on the website. At first I wasn't too impressed with the food but maybe there was a change in the kitchen as it was greatly improved by the third day of our week-long stay. All in all I definitely recommend this hotel for people that don't want to spend the extra to stay in the park but want to be surrounded by nature in a friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Mammoth Lakes, California
Reviewed October 3, 2009

I should say by reading the reviews the my experience was totally different then most people.The hotel is beautiful ,apparently just got completely renovated,the food was outstanding and we did enjoy our all inclusive program
You should realize that the hotel is right outside the National park witch make it very easy to go for trekking and hiking day trips
I will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to explore Torres del Paine or if you want to just relax, the views of Torres from the hotel was my favorite part.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple