“Awesome place!”
Review of Patagonia Camp

Patagonia Camp
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Great place, great staff and good food! We stayed 3 nights and we loved every minutes. We recommended full board, excursions were very well organised and our guide Rodriguo was very helpful. Alvaro, our drivers, was skilled and excellent.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Patagonia Camp

Reviewed December 26, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Patagonia Camp for two nights and the experience was so wonderful that I couldn't wait to be back in an area with Internet to write my first ever tripadvisor hotel review. The unique secret to this hotel is that it combines luxury, genuineness, and a familial feel set in the middle of beautiful nature. Our stay started when we got picked up with no delay from a ranch where our previous excursion had ended. Our check-in was smooth and the rooms, in the forms of yurts, have this awesome simplicity and were very well maintained. The bed was so comfortable that it was difficult to get up in the mornings despite our excitement for the excursions. The staff works very hard in the background to make the guests feel very comfortable and we did not have to worry about anything at all during our stay - including transportation, room comfort, food, and excursions. Whenever we left our room (morning or night), we went back finding it cleaned and tidied up. We never saw anyone from room service, which gave the camp a true sense of naturalism - you genuinely feel part of the Patagonian environment. The food was excellent for breakfast and dinner every day, with a daily menu that includes great options in a comfortable dining room with a beautiful view of the lake. The picnic lunches prepapred while in the excurisions were also delicious and well prepapred. However, what makes Patagonia Camp really awesome is the staff - from the receptionist, to the guides, to the manager. They all do everything they can to satisfy their guests. The guides are very knowledgable of the Patagonian environment but also of specific concepts of geology and science; we went on excursions with Xabi and Marianno who are both experts and are super nice. What also really impressed us at the end of our stay was how the manager, Loreto, managed our special circumstance where we had a confusion with our transfer situation as we had not arranged for transportation to take us back to the airport in Punta Arenas. Along with Pamela, the receptionist, and Gonzalo, Loreto was able to secure a private van to take us back on the morning of our flight. Overall, an amazing stay in line with the amazing Patagonian environment - we will come back and will definitely stay at Patagonia Camp again.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nadim C
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We were there 5 days and enjoyed the entire stay. We researched all of the area lodges and selected this one based on amenities and price. Drive to the Torres del Paine park was about 20 minutes, and drivers were skilled and excellent. Setting and view was outstanding, the "yurts" were well-appointed and substantial, meals were gourmet quality. Guides gave good choice of day trips.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed in November for 4 days/5 nights, during Thanksgiving, all inclusive plan, and had a wonderful experience, and wanted to personally name the staff we encountered, starting with our organized pick-up from Punta Arenas by Alvaro (driver) and Mariano, our guide for 3 of our 4 days. The hikes were beautiful and all varied, our guides included Francisco - youthful and great energy on the 12 mile Mirador Las Torres hike, Mariano - great outdoor experience and knowledge of local flora, and fun to be around, and Xavi, an experienced outdoor guide also with great knowledge of flora. The La Peninsula hike, which is about 9 miles, was our last day, and was wonderful, with no other hikers seen the whole day. Dress for all 4 seasons, lots of layers. We had sun, snow, wind and rain on each day, but gorgeous nonetheless.
Our drivers included Alvaro and Rodrigo, also fun to get to know and engage in conversation in our "Spanglish." The staff at reception, including Stephanie & Sebastian, were warm and welcoming and helpful, and Javier and Ignacio in the restaurant were great & patient to practice our Spanish with, and served some great Pisco Sours. The wine was fantastic since its from Matetic vineyards, which are all organic biodynamic wines. The meals were excellent overall, with the exception of 1 dinner and 1 lunch which were fair to average. We had a2 amazing dinners our last 2 evenings there. They had a chef shift change, and the food went from good to fantastic. The desserts were always amazing. On the day hikes, it is a packed bag lunch, with generously sized sandwiches and often, brownies, and great soups if the weather is cold.
The yurts are gorgeous, the views spectacular as each one has a view of Lago Toro and Las Torres in the distance. The beds are amazingly comfy, the wind blowing and rain on the yurt was pleasing to us - we love camping, so knowing it was blowing outside, but we were cozy inside, warm and dry, was great. Some might find the sounds of wind and rain unsettling if you are not used to that against fabric.
The dining room has the same vistas as the yurts, which makes dining there a beautiful experience.
The only negative - the bathroom doorway is made for someone shorter than 5'7", so its right at nose to head height for someone taller. My husband hit his forehead extremely hard the first night -giving him a goose egg on the noggin - so we had to hang something each day from the door frame as a visual reminder. Someone could easily break a nose. As they can't change the height of the doorframe, I would suggest them padding it, or hanging something there to avoid hitting it if you are over 5'7".

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joanna B
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I spent five nights at Patagonia Camp earlier this month based on the great reviews I read on TA.
I could not have been more pleased with this choice. I knew up front that it was about a 20 minute ride on an unpaved road from Patagonia Camp to the Serrano River entrance to Torres del Paine National Park.
I made all my arrangements via direct e-mail communication via their web site. It was easy to arrange my on time pick up at my hotel in Punta Arenas and my on time drop off at the Punta Arenas airport to catch my afternoon flight back to Santiago.
As described by multiple prior reviewers the yurts at Patagonia Camp are unique and well appointed and the views out over Lago Toro are breathtaking.
I thought that the breakfast options were varied and well presented. There were two dinner options each night and each of the varied entrees that I had were delicious.
I have a specific significant food allergy and everyone involved with the preparation and serving of my meals was cognizant of my dietary restrictions and tasty alternatives were prepared specifically for my needs.
I went on walks each of the four days that I was there with two great guides(Mariano & Xavi).
Three of these walks were all day journeys and the lunch that was brought along was well prepared and the guides and drivers went out of their way to accommodate each guest's needs.
The concern and attention to the guest's needs at Patagonia Camp merits special praise from me. My mother developed a life-threatening illness that required hospitalization in the U.S. while I was at Patagonia Camp. I was aware that there is no cell phone service at Patagonia Camp but I was able to communicate with my wife easily and effectively using the computer in the main building that was available to me 24/7 and I could have used the satellite phone had I needed to. It also was made clear to me that if I had needed to leave for the Punta Arenas airport prior to my scheduled departure date(which fortunately was not the case) that someone would have gladly taken me a day or two sooner than planned. Everyone at Patagonia Camp was genuinely concerned about my mother's health and were happy to aid me in any way they possibly could through this troubling time.
When it was time to leave there was not a single additional charge added to what I had prepaid for this stay.
Everything that I had been promised was delivered on.
As my favorite philosopher Yogi Berra might say: You can't make a "wrong mistake" taking any of the outings that the knowledgeable guides at Patagonia Camp recommend to you. The wildfires last year made going on the Mirador Condor walk a poor option. I thought that the three full day trips I took to Lago Grey & Mirador Lago Toro, Salto Grande,Cascada Paine & Laguna Azul and the Porteria Sarmiento to Porteria Laguna Armaga walks were all terrific in very different ways.

Room Tip: All the yurts have great views. I stayed in #10 which was nearer the dining room. Yurts #17 & 18...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank MobileResident
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at Patagonia Camp 15-17/11/12 & was stunned by just how beautiful the camp was. My Yurt (half tent-half cabana) was clean, luxurious & very private. The food is outstanding and the service friendly, timely & courteous. It's location is also handy for the park...I can't recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank edshepley
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We enjoyed 3 nights during November 2012 at the Patagonia Camp - a luxury yurt in a remote area north of Puerta Natales and 35 minutes from the Torres del Paine park entrance. We enjoyed full board, transportation to the park, long drives each day to special treks and spectacular mountains, glaciers and wildlife - birdlife, condors, guanaca, hares and a Darwin's fox beiing taunted by a meadowlark. Service at the Camp is top notch - during our stay the staff to guest ratio was about 1.5 to 1 (they could use more guests!), also the naturalist guides were extrremely knowledgable and helpful. We had a choice of excursions each day and the level of difficulty of the hikes could be selected. Be prepared for all four seasons of weather in the course of 4 days - constantly changing. We experienced sun, sprinklig rain and most amazingly, 50 mph winds with 60 + mph gusts. Dress in layers! Loved our cozy yurt with beautiful views.

Room Tip: Yurts # 17 and 18 are 77 steps down-slope from the dining and reception. Yurts #9 and 10 offer a g...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends